Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

nitro models 50cc yak??? the good/bad/ugly???

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

nitro models 50cc yak??? the good/bad/ugly???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
darryl-e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro models 50cc yak??? the good/bad/ugly???

Okay Guys i just bought one of these planes. I would like to know what people who have been flying it think about it????? The good the bad and the ugly. It appears to be built fairly light and seems to be fairly structurly sound. A little CA and it should be okay. YES the covering i think is CHINACOTE the hardware is poor but besides that it seems to be a pretty good product for the price. I will be using a DL50 as i have 2. first one is in a GP ultimate 160 this will be enough power for sure as i think this plane should come in at around 15-16lbs. Anybody have total AUW on this plane and what you have been using for servos radio gear etc??? How about a Video??? how does it handle in the air???

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Darryl

planes: GP ultimate 160,dl50, ultra rc giles 202,os160, hanger 9 showtime 90 webra120 omp funtana webra 50 proline eagle3d ys63
Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: nitro models 50cc yak??? the good/bad/ugly???

Was looking at that one,what kind of shipping did they charge?
I hope that these lower end companies try real hard to deliver a structuraly sound airfame.A 50cc bird coming apart can have deadly consequences.
Let us know how the built/flight goes for you.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM
darryl-e

i bought it at an auction sale. so as far as shipping i have no idea. I have looked at alot of other airframes and i really see no difference in the planes. i would say that they appear to use maybe less glue that some other companies but i have seem a couple big name company's have gobbs of exopy everywhere and also very little. I feel a plane is only as strong as the person building it and flying it. that being said i do go thru all my planes with a fine tooth comb and make the proper repairs/reinforcements. etc. i will not be flying this until next year but i will be starting the build in the near future. I will keep this thread going as i move thru the build.

thanks in advance
Darryl

planes: GP ultimate 160,dl50, ultra rc giles 202,os160, hanger 9 showtime 90 webra120 omp funtana webra 50 proline eagle3d ys63

Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
skiman762

I've seen a few so called high end models come apart in flight
So you can't really judge a plane by it's price or name sake
Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
nitro wing

True,but NM has had many failures in their 40 size range.Most people here that would buy a 50cc usually have respectable building/flying experience and will recheck their airframe.
But this is an ARF world now,and many newcomers jump onto these prebuilds with very little time in the Hobby and show up at the field with a disaster waiting to happen.I have seen it a few times already.
I am not an old school kinda guy,but it used to be where one graduated into the hobby and performance aircraft through building and flying.One had an understanding of aircraft design and problem solving.
Now its instant gratification,a trip to the LHS and a Visa and after a week a newbie has a lethal weapon in the back of his truck.Of course its all about 3D and more power also.
This is in no way directed to the original poster,just an observation of a combination of availability,new to the Hobby,and a flood of (large) ARF's with low price tags.I see the same with electric Helis,all the younger kids gotta have one,and the availabilty is mindbogling.A real RTF collective pitch heli for under 500$.Many end up in the trash as they have no experience and soon loose interest after dumping it in.I dont think its all that safe letting so many people jump into RC (performance) aviation.
Anyways,end of rant,play safe

Darryl
Glad you can keep us updated on this one,I know that there are a few factories producing good kits that are not reckongnized.Nitro models sells many planes from different manufactures,some from respectable factories and some poor ones.Like you said a good inspection and some mods,a bargain can be a top flyer with soem patience.
Good luck with it
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
cjembree

hello,

I have just purchased the nitro models 50cc yak also. I went with the, what they call the red one on their site. I am from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and I must say my experience with nitro models was very good. They sent it by Fedex, so no border fees , and it came in about 6 days. My first impressions are very good, it is built very well and the covering seems to be good. The hardware that came with mine is similar if not the same as the hardware that comes with the aeroworks arf's. Dual metal control horns, and dubro style 4-40 ball links and it looks to be every bit as good as other more expensive models. I have not started building yet as I have another project before I start this, but I do have some pics. so everyone interested can see what you get.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16158.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	797205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95367.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	797206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85594.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	797207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56042.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	797208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14294.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	797209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk77447.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	797210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df73983.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	797211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml38150.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	797212  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw37342.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	797213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq77199.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	797214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms79367.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	797215  
Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
nitro wing

How much shipping? One box or 2?
Not sure on Alberta,but here in BC I got my EF Yak by FedEx (85$) ,then 2 weeks later I got a 50 $ broker fee and a Tax bill on top of that in the mail.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
darryl-e

Nitro wing
thanks for saying that. I was right behind you. Fed-ex makes it seem all good until a month or so down the road. I bought a plane out of california once and the plane was under 150 dollars and they charged me an additional 48 dollars for brokerage and other crap. if you must have stuff shipped out of usa try to use USPS. but some things are limited because of size.[&o]
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
RaceCraftRC

wow thats a huge cowl i have been looking at this plane seems like a good deal hope someone gets on up soon
Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
cjembree

nitro wing,

You are probably correct about fedex sending me a bill, I will let everyone know if this happens and how much. As for your other questions, the shipping cost was $51.00 us, and it came in one big double box, no graphics on the box. I would also like to add that it appears that the two 50cc yaks they offer are actually two different planes. Again, I ordered the Red one which seems to have a longer canopy, the ailerons have no taper (constant cord), the tailwheel is different, the interior structure is quite different, the elevator servos are mounted inside each half, it sounds like the hardware I recieved is better (usable), the wing tube is 1" od and about 1/16" wall, compared to the yellow one.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Taildragger726

"I am "COWL HEAD" !! Respect my 3-D abilities !![sm=biggrin.gif]

Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
nitro wing

I am interested in some measurements
Cowl diameter
Actual wingspan when mounted to fuse
Fuse length aprox. with cowl and rudder in place
How bendy is the landing gear (aluminum?)
Canopy attachment?
Type of control horns?
Thanks in advance [8D]
for 349 this could make a good "beater" 50cc
Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 PM
cjembree

Nitro Wing

The cowl diameter is 10 1/4", the wing span from my measurements is 85" as stated on the nitroplanes site, the fuse length is approx 77" from front of cowl to tip of rudder, the landing gear is aluminum and seems good and strong, the control horns are as I mentioned before similar to the ones used on the aeroworks arf's (dual metal horn for each control and 4-40 ball links and rods) seem very usable, I will use them for sure. Regarding the canopy attachment, I presume you want to know if it has dowels for the front which it does, and has two tabs (mounts) on either side near the back that is bolted from the outside. The canopy itself is not glued in place, you have to do this either with ca, or canopy glue. The hinges are large robart style pin type that are not glued, which I prefer to do anyway (rudder has 4, elevators have 4, wings have 5 each).
Old 11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
nitro wing

That all sounds reasonable to me.
With our $ being so strong this could be quite a bargain,not much more than a 90 size ARF.
I guess it will be awhile before any are in the air.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
darryl-e

yes Nitro Wing mine will not be ready until spring as here in Saskatchewan it is pretty cool and the wind has been insane. i was out on saturday with a profile but the big stuff is pretty much put away for the winter. i will start my build on my Yak after Dec 7 th as i am busy with some classes until then. My set up will be
DL50 xoar22a or 23b
rudder 5955
ailerion/elevator 5945
throttle ds821
batt ign 1100 nicad
batt radio 2700nmh or 3000 mah lipo 2s with reg

As the hardware was poor i will be making carbon fibre rods and using ball links for everything else. I have seen a couple vid's on this plane and it appears to fly good. I hope that this thread continues and people start to post their experience with the model. It appears to be a great entry into gas 50cc class

planes: GP ultimate 160,dl50, ultra rc giles 202,os160, hanger 9 showtime 90 webra120' omp funtana v2 webra 50, proline eagle3d ys63

Old 11-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Dreamin Hemi

I've been buiding this plane for the past week, and had the same experiences you've had about no information on it. I've had a great experience so far. Only real problem, and it wasn't really a problem is the rudder, and aileron pre-drilled hinge holes didn't exactly align up. Quick drilling and a little extra epoxy and you can now hang on it and it won't come off! Check out my thread here and let me know what you all think. You wanted people to post their experiences so far, well, it's been nothing but a pleasure. Great kit, excellent quality, even better quality than some Aeroworks kits I own

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773195]Nitro Models 50cc Yak 54[/link]
Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Also Darryl, not quite sure what you mean about the hardware being poor quality and having to make your own carbon fiber rods. The hardware included is in my opinion very good and the 4-40 rods and ball links are very short and worked extremely well in my build. Guess you're just trying to save a little weight. Please keep me posted how it works for you. If I were to try to save some weight, I'd replace that heavy wing tube and landing gear with carbon fiber. Bet you could save at least 1/2 a pound just in that
Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM
darryl-e

well like i said the hardware is very small i think it is from a 60size kit. no biggy i will post some pic's of my hardware in the next couple days to see if their is a difference between mine and yours. as far as the rest of the plane it appears to look good. What engine combo are you using/servos? batt?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM
darryl-e

advancedradon

jUST POSTED TO YOUR THREAD. i guess i have the other nitro models Yak 54

http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak5450giscr.html
it is a little different but same price and size?? i guess we will have some things to compare after this thread is done lol

hurry up and get that thing togeteher so i can hear how good it is lol

you will love the DL50 and BOB at DLUSA is a great guy to deal with
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Can't wait till you get YOURS started! Think it will be great to compare notes. Good luck! Oh yeah, just spoke to Bob at DLUSA and he said my engine was sent out today! Whew!!!!!! Yeah!!!! [:-][:-]
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Dreamin Hemi

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773195

Just received the DL50 in the mail, already instaalled...hopefully will run it this weekend.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
mitchmcf

I have the red one and I have about 30 flights on it sofar with out any prblems at all. I think it flys very well we have a few 50cc yaks from other manufactures at are field and mine flys as well or better then some. I have a G62 in mine right now but will have a DL50 by spring it will save me around a 1 1/2 pounds.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Hello mitchmcf, Glad to hear somebody has one of these airborn already, and that they are happy with it. What was your final weight? Any tips on landing...comes in hot? floater? Just anxious to get mine in the air.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
mitchmcf

With the g62 it is about 18lb it will float with a head wind and will drop off speed quickly I just keep a little power till I am over the runway and it lands very nicely and so far I have not found any bad habits.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 PM
darryl-e

[:@]You go guys. i wish winter was not here i would like to fly this bad boy. Well i just gave myself another Christmas gift
Drum roll please[8D] Hanger 9 sukhoi 26mm 33%

can't wait until spring.

i will be starting my Yak on dec 11th as i am done my class on the tenth.

join you guys then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.