Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

The Tango 40 ARF from Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

The Tango 40 ARF from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 AM
jdkxtreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Tango 40 ARF from Hangar 9

ORIGINAL: sbharnish

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme
Where in Pa are you? I have my second tango ready to go.Lost the first one late last summer due to the rx battery coming unplugged..This one balanced at 5 1/2...I am going to use an os 55 i have here. the last one had a worn out os 50 and was a blast..Before I put the windshield on it i cut some balsa and painted it white so you could not see in the fuse..I should fly this in the next few days if the weather holds up....
I live just west of Lancaster City, but fly at the Cocalico Propbusters field off the Adamstown/Ephrata? exit of the turnpike.

Ohh ok. I live up 23 from lancaster in elverson..I did join a field in lancaster but I fly mosley at my house..Good to hear all went well with the maiden..
Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
jdkxtreme

Well I flew the tango yesterday..This is my second one.Flew great.Powered with an os 55..Great power.Took off great,straight down the runway.Bliped the elev and I was in the air..Made a few circles to trim,Only a few clicks and I was good..Did not try anyting to harsh..Still does great flat spins..Put the cg right in the middle..I do not remeber my last one being so elev touchy..It seemed tail heavy but when you invert it,it nose dives which means it is not tail heavy..But all in all a great beat around plane
Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
redcb28

I have a Tango and was thinking about using my spare evolution 61 to power it. Any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM
jdkxtreme

Great combo..those engines are a bit heavier than the os..I have an os 55 on mine and love it..I am sure the 61 would be good also
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
redcb28

You dont think it will be to nose heavy? Im fairly new to this been flying about 1 year , all my other planes were set up for me. I flew this Tango twice with a os 46ax ,but I want to put that engine back into my super stick.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
jdkxtreme

I think you will be ok. I had to a heavy spinner nut to mine for nose weight.SO I think you will be ok..I know alot of people are putting the 61 on the twist. My twist with a 46 on it weighed the same as my tango with the 46. I now have a saito 82 on the twist and the 55 on the tango
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
redcb28

Thanks for your help im gonna give it a try, the Tango was very tail heavy with the 46.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM
jdkxtreme

Sounds like a bigger motor up front is the fix then. Hope you have good luck with it
Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 PM
CustomPC

Yeah, mine has an OS .55AX with Performance Specialties muffler and i need to have my battery as far forward as possibe to get it balanced.

I run the APC 13x4 Sport prop on mine and it's a blast. Takes off in about 6 feet. I take off across the runway and as one commentor said "the runway's not real long but it sure is wide"
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM
capuleen

I just did the first flight on my tango last weekend after I had it trimmed when I landed it I noticed one aileron is a little bit higher than the other one and I do not know if that is normal or not. I also have another question from any body that is using the ailerons as flaps for landing or take offs and how should I use them to reduce the landings because we have a very short strip.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
harrymc

The Tango doesn't need flaps at all. It's a real floater. It can land VERY slow with very little runway. With the right motor (be it glow or electric) it needs less than 10 feet of runway to get off.
I've been flying mine electric for about a year and a half and love this funny little plane!

Harry
Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of all my planes the tango would have to be one of my least favorites, but when its too windy to fly anything else its my "go to" plane. I have a ST 51 with a 12.25x3.75 and it has unlimited vertical
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM
sbharnish

ORIGINAL: capuleen

I just did the first flight on my tango last weekend after I had it trimmed when I landed it I noticed one aileron is a little bit higher than the other one and I do not know if that is normal or not. I also have another question from any body that is using the ailerons as flaps for landing or take offs and howshould I use them toreduce the landings because we have a very short strip.
As to the ailerons, you can either shift weight by moving your equipment toward the up aileron or you can just ignore it and keep flying.

Regarding flaps, I set the throws for the factory Hi and Lo rates then set the flaps switch drop both ailerons 75% of the Lo rate travel. I needed to add 5% down elevator to compensate for the extra lift. Be careful when setting this up, if you're off a little either way it can make for funny handling.

Harrymc is right, the Tango really doesn't need flaps, but it's pretty impressive to see how effective they are. Keep the nose up and a touch of throttle and you can land on a dime. I cut my takeoff distance in half using flaps. The Tango can be a little squirrely on the ground, so I figure the sooner we're off, the better. I should note that my plane probably has about half the power of most other posters on this thread. Have fun with it, you have a pretty versatile with with some quirky characteristics, but most people in this thread really seem to enjoy it.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
bradyb

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Generator" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Originator" /><link href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\BBUTTE~1.NHS\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\02 \clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><o:smarttagtype name="PlaceName" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="PlaceType" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><objectclassid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object><style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><style type="text/css"></style><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Hello Folks, great thread! <o></o>

I’m going to be spending a week at <st1lace w:st="on"><st1lacetype w:st="on">Lake</st1lacetype> <st1lacename w:st="on">Powell</st1lacename></st1lace> and I have always wanted to have a float plane to use down there. The blue/orange Tango will make for some great pictures with the red rock and blue water. I want a plane with a lot of control authority and some very good slow speed lift. <o></o>

<o></o>

I ordered the eBay .40-60 size fiberglass floats (Item #320383842198) and I have a never used PTS Evo .46 lying around. The floats are: 33 inches long, 17 inches from tip of float to step, 4 inches high at step3.75 inches wide, 15-1/2 inches wide stance (center to center of floats), total weight 1.5 pounds! They seem big for the Tango but I have no experience with float planes.<o></o>

<o></o>

I like the Tango because it offers a very thick wing for slow speed take offs and a short approach with flaperons. I might need to do some tight maneuvering if we end up docking the house boat in a box canyon! I won’t be doing any hovering or knife edge loops with that motor and floats but I still will want some excellent climb performance in case I get in trouble. I will keep it light using that Evo .46 but with the floats that Tango is going to end up at about 7 pounds. Should I be concerned with that small motor? I have had a PTS mustang for about three years now and she does fine with that same motor at about 7 pounds. The Mustang always takes off easily in super tall grass; I hope the Tango might be similar with those big floats at step. <o></o>

<o></o>

Any prop suggestions for climb out performance, 12x4? The mustang is really fast (65 MPH) with a 10x8, and fine with an 11x7. As an FYI I have had countless electrics but my gas planes have been PTS ‘Stang, F-22 with .52, Pulse 60, and H9 P-40 .60. <o></o>

<o></o>

What do you all think am I crazy or will this be a maneuverable float plane? Other thoughts or other ideas?<o></o>

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Originator"><link href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\BBUTTE~1.NHS\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01 \clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><o:smarttagtype name="PlaceName" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="PlaceType" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" latentstylecount="156"></w:latentstyles></xml></meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
The Toolman

Myself, I would go on up to a OS 55ax for the extra power you might need. My tango flys great with a Pro.46 thunder tiger, but I sure wouldn't want to add another 1 1/2 lbs plus thedragto the plane with that engine.

Edit-go with a 12.25x3.75 apc prop for plenty of torque. I'm sure your not worried that much about speed. Besides, with the thick wing the Tango has I wouldn't wanna push my luck trying to set anew airspeed record with it.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 PM
jdkxtreme

I am a big fan of the 55 on the tango also..Or the saito 82. You will hate the 46 on it
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
bradyb

Toolman, are you saying go with the .46 and 12.25prop or I shouldreally go with the .55 OS. The nice thing about the .46 is that it is free. Anyone have a cheap .55 laying around?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 AM
The Toolman

Read my post again, Put the .55 on it, not the .46. A free engine is worthless if it won't do the job.....
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
bradyb

There's the orgininal fun fly, the Megatech Magic that ends up less then four pounds with a .46. Would the magic still be slow and be a decent STOL float plane at 5.5 pounds with 750" total wing area (comparable to the Tango). I could go with el cheapo magnum .52 and the Tango but is it worth buying and is it comparable to the .55?

I apologize for my cheapness but this project has gotta be dang cheap. I also get to fly "real" airplanes but as fun as it is flying the big ones, they also cost me $150 an hour.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Brady
Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
bradyb

Okay okay, I bought a Tango. I was lucky to find one local. The plane looks great but I’m missing the engine mount/screw bag? I have a couple aluminum mounts (PTS Mustang) that might work that I can play with until Horizon sends out the mount. The instructions are not clear but at what angle should the engine be pointed off center? It’s hard to tell with firewall back set in the fuse. Have you guys added washers or played around with the thrust angle? I buddy of mine did an excellent flat spin on take off with his tango, he didn't seem to have too much of a thrust angle at all with the stock composite mount.

Other then that the plane looks excellent, the whole fuse us laser/ply. I’m pretty sure I can get it to 6.5 pounds with the floats. I’ll try it with the Evo .46 with out floats and then I’ll probably add a thunder tiger .55 or magnum .55. Is there a really good reason why I should spend another $60 for an OS? A $150 2 cycle seems some what ridiculous, why the higher price?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
The Toolman

The engine mount is square with the firewall an the engine points straight ahead. Flys great that way....

The TT .55 will be just fine also
Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
sbharnish

bradyb, I understand the budget issue. I'm actually flying my Tango with an old OS .40 FP. Try it on land with some extra weight strapped in the fuse to simulate the floats. My guess is that you'll have plenty of power to cruise around, but aren't going to impress anyone with an airshow.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
The Toolman

Ya hafta remember that the floats are gonna be a heckuva drag in the water for takeoff, an quite a bit in the air also....
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
bradyb

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
bradyb

I maidened the Tango last night, she flew excellent with the Evo .46 and 12x4 APC. What a great plane! I sure wish I had a DX7 now, flying the old FM JR with no coupling or exponential for rudder is tough! Nice hover and knife edge loops with good high alpha flight. Slow landings were a piece of cake but I’m going to have to work on the short take offs. With the symmetrical wing you need to get up to speed and increase your angle attack significantly, it definitely won’t take off on its own. A short take off with significant elevator is possible but tricky, I played it safe and just did nice half throttle take offs with plenty of time to gain control authority. The power-off flat spin with full rudder and bit of opposite aileron sure was awesome. What a great way to spend $119!

I don’t see a problem adding the extra pound for the floats; I’ll get some pics up and let you all know how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.