Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best 3D Airfoil????

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Best 3D Airfoil????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Av8er Tim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 3D Airfoil????

Hi guys,

I'm working on my own design 3D airframe. What is the best 3D airfoil to use, and what thickness is best. So far I am thinking Eppler 169 or NACA 0016 to 0018. Let me know your thoughts.

Tim H.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Wingwiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no magic airfoil. Aerodynamic efficiency is not relative to wing sizes/wingarea. IE, You posted a deficalt question:-)
The airfoil needed depends on many aerodynamic properties.
Such as the wings aspect ratio, wingspan, wing area, wing taper, %of stab area, Tail moment, and wing loading to name a few. Typically large planes, such as 40-50% aerobats like thinner and relatively hight aspect wings ( 9-11% thickness ish) Smaller planes like .40 44''-50'' planes like thicker airfoils such as 16-20% thickness. But once again, may properties feed in. I've see 50'' planes with 10% thickness perform rock solid Harrier flight with aspect ratios like 2.5:1 Or a real good example would be the flying Pizza Box with a 1:1 aspect ratio and 1.0416% thickness:-)
Something few people really know or understand is that proper setups in your plane is a big key to doing 3D. Say you want to fly Harriers or Elevators. You try it and the plane rolls out or louses control, that dosn't mean it can't do it. Playing with CG, control deflection, and things like spoilers (up aileron) mixed with elevator. Do it all at altitude. My point with all this is, Once you do your research and come up with a design. experiment with it. don't give up on it all at once if it dosn't immediately do what you want it to. I came up with the idea of putting a long tail on a fun-fly long before it became a common design. ( laser3d, UCD3d, Dioblo 3d and the list goes on)
It was easy to hover but did nothing els 3D. I never played will it and stopped flying the plane. Took it out 2 years later, played with all the above and love it. Now working on Version ll :-)
I'm sorry I can't give you a exact answer. But maybe this can help.
Happy flying, Pat (3d'Pat on G2 multi-player)
Old 04-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tim,

The Eppler 169 would be a good starting point, but it truthfully depends on the size and weight of the airplane you're working on. There really is no magic airfoil though. As the airplanes get larger, the airfoils start to work better.

-Doug