Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Somebody else looking for a .61 3D plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Somebody else looking for a .61 3D plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:37 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody else looking for a .61 3D plane

I have been looking around this forum looking for info on a .61 3D plane. I have a Magnum .61, probably not a popular choice, but it is very easy to start, idles WELL, good transition, and had enough power to barely hover my 8 lb ultimate.
I would like a scale or semi-scale plane and have been looking at the GP Extra .40 or their Cap .40. Which of these would be better? I am not afraid of modding, as I usually design my planes. Or maybe I should give it up and get a profile.
BTW, why is it hard to find 3D planes in this size? I have done some 3D with my Lazy Bee, but it was not the best suited for this.
Thanks
Ben
Old 04-09-2003, 12:20 AM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

I know what you mean. I built a gp cap 232 and went all out. Os 61 fx with micros through out. I did lose the plane do to flutter. I was lookinng for a new .60 plane for 3D and couldnt find any thinng i liked. I sold the 60 and got a omp 540 profile. What a beast that is!

This time around i wanted somthing scale. I just finished a gp 300 .40. I modifed the plane pretty good.( Bigger tail with lots of throw and took out a bunch of wieght. ) I have a satio 72 inn there ( my first 4 stroke ) and at 5 lbs thing rocks !!!! So far the only limit is harriers. I can do them but i have to be right at 45 deg. Any thing elese and the wing rocks real bad. Waterfalls, tip spins and blenders are well within reach of this thing. I should be talking to gp to see if they will kit it.

I hear that the gp 60 300 will do most of the 3D with out mod's. I would mod it any way. But i think it needs a 1.20 4 stroke.

What am i trying to say?
o ya...........good luck !!!!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .61 size fun fly planes

The problem is weight. They are too heavy. A .61 tends to be heavy in a .46 size plane. It takes planning and modification to build one without adding tail weight. The .60-.90 size planes tend to fly a lot better with one of the new .91s that are built in the .61 case. You might say they are too heavy compared to the .91 and produce less power. I have both the OS .91FX and the Magnum .91XLS. Both are the same weight as the .61s and produce great power. The planes tend to be sized for the larger .91 engine.

The problem can be worked on a .46 plane by moving the elevator and rudder servos to the rear and moving the battery back. Use a wood prop and a light spinner.

On the .61-.91 planes, you have to go on an extreme diet to get 3D performance with a .61. Light servos, light battery, light landing gear, light spinner, light everything. Pull-pull is lighter. It can be done, but it's work.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:55 AM
outsideloop2

I had my Magnum .61 thumper in a Magic Extra for a short while, was a pretty good combo, however not a 60 size plane but good one for that engine. I put it down due to a improperly charged battery.