Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Which smaller/cheeper gasser for IMAC and 3d

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!
View Poll Results: A poll
Hangar 9 Extra 260 78in
17.39%
WH Extra 300 84in
39.13%
Other
43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Which smaller/cheeper gasser for IMAC and 3d

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:34 PM
rc-plane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which smaller/cheeper gasser for IMAC and 3d

Which airplane would you choose for a non expensive airplane that is good at IMAC and 3d and why

If selected other please explain!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which smaller/cheeper gasser for IMAC and 3d

I did not vote because I don't have the experience to give you a good recomendation. I have been looking at the Extra 260 for best looks and now trying to settle on a brand. Wild Hare has one and advertize an astonishing weight of just 8.5 lbs. I wish they built one for the Evolution 35gt I already have. The hanger 9 planes I have have not held up well lately. Firewalls comming apart at the glue joints and all but I imagine all of them will do that so I just reinforce all of them now.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 PM
rc-plane

Some one marked other, what plane do you like better?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

Some one marked other, what plane do you like better?
I bet he marked other to see where the pole was at. I am watching this thread close because I am at a empass as to weather I will get a 26cc or 50cc gasser since no one seems to make a 35cc[:@]
Old 12-15-2007, 11:44 PM
rc-plane

same here I want to get into gassers but just dont know which one.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I have the Aeroworks YAK 54 .90-1.20 QB with an OS 120AX that will fly IMAC and 3d just fine. I have just orderd the WH 25% Extra 260 which is about the same size plane and have plans on putting the Brillelli 26cc engine on the business end swinging a 17X6 prop. This is a good size plane if your looking to start out in gas because it keeps the cast down compared to a 50cc plane yet its still a pretty good size plane and for 3D it should have plenty of power for pull out since the little 26cc gasser is puttiing out 10,000 rpm running a 16X8 prop. I like this size plane for it's ease of transportation and low cost

Mr67Stang,

Brillelli make a [link=http://www.scottellingson.com/brillelli_engines_009.htm]36cc engine[/link] for $365.00 and that includes that EI and muffler.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
dragnbye

i thought Brillelli was just a converted wacker engine. and i 2nd zippy i dont have a aeroworks plane yet but it's in the works
Old 12-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Mr67Stang,

Brillelli make a [link=http://www.scottellingson.com/brillelli_engines_009.htm]36cc engine[/link] for $365.00 and that includes that EI and muffler.

Sorry, you misunderstood. I have an Evolution 35 GT but cant find a suitible 3D Airframe for it. I have it in a 1/4 scale Hanger 9 Matt Chapman Cap 232 but it's a scale pig that is fully sheeted thus heavy and iddy bitty ailerons. It seems the 3d airframes go from 26cc and skip to 50cc.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I voted for the WH for a couple reasons..

Prices are similar
WH has a lot of wing area and comes in at a good weight = good 3D plane
The WH will 3D better (has larger surfaces)

The overall end cost difference is not that much and you will have a lot more plane for a little bit more money
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the two I would do the Wildhare. Much better airframe for the first time gas pilot. They will stand up to some abuse.

Ease of assembly goes to the Hangar 9 though. Wildahre planes go together well but there are some things that are not explained in the manuals that are assumed that a person has enough experience to get the job done where as Hangar 9 manuals are well done with loads of pics and detailed explanantions of just about every step.

Now what would really help out is what engine do you plan to go with or is that another choice you want/need to make?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Mr67Stang

Just another option but not a recomendation. I have a Cermark Pitts S2B so when I get to it I will have a better idea as to the quality.
http://www.cermark.net/Show.php?TID=79&PSN=1647
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
flygilmore

To be more specific, the Brillelli engines are based on Echo chainsaws and the B46 on the Poulan saw. Quite a bit of machining has been done to loose any "extras" that are not needed and to transform into a desirable EI rc engine. Just like the Zenoahs that were originally in Red Max and Green Machine saws.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

THe Brillelli 36 and 50 is echo based... 60 is not and neither is the 26.. correct about the 46 as well.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Art Cloutier

My 50 cc DA pulls a 17 lb plane vertical with enough authority to do unlimited sequence in IMAC. It probably is pulling in excess of 25 lbs. of thrust.
In order to do as well a 26 cc engine would have to be in an airframe at 8-9 lbs all up weight. Not many can make the weight requirement. Most 26 cc engines are way to heavy to make this possible.
I met several guys in Texas who were flying 25 cc gassers in the Sig Four Star finished out at about 14 lbs. With about 13-14 lbs thrust they made good sport flyers and would handle IMAC to the basic level, marginal at the sporstman level.
A 15 lb Aeroworks 540 29 % with the DA 50 would go vertical like a rocket and is quite buildable. Arthur Cloutier
Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
paul nathalie

Try the bcma 26, light & powerfull, paul.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37639.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	849132  
Old 01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because an airplane is light and has big wing area does not automatically mean that it will 3D or IMAC well. Granted light weight and lots of wing area does not hurt, but there is a lot more to it than just that. The plane has to be built right.. It needs to have incidence settings and moments that allow the plane to fly neutrally at a CG that does not require a lot of trim to fly straight and level but still be a little tail heavy. That helps to minimize coupling. The wing needs to be in the right place. It needs to be engineered so that it is lightweight and strong. Not all lightweight planes will hold up, but I must admit that most of the more popular designs that I have flown are all pretty well designed.

If I were going to look for a CHEAPER 25% gasser for 3D the Wild Hare would be a good choice. A cheaper option might be the World Models Katana... Its not super light but its reasonable less expensive and it flies IMAC style flying VERY well. They are not all that light, but they do fly straight and true.

If I had to save the money I would be inclined to go a little smaller and get the Extreme FLight 74" Yak and a Brillelli 46. Its going to be the best combination for the money. Its a little smaller overall, but it is light, it has proportionally large wings and its extremely well built. There is nothing that flies better in the 25% class except maybe the 50CC Extreme Flight planes, the Quique planes and the CH Double Vision which is another good, but not cheap plane.

The 74" EF Yak presents like a 25% plane, its BIG and it flies great. That would be my choice and the Brillelli is a great running and very reasonably priced engine that offsets the cost of the Airframe.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

GP CAP 232 27% with DL 50cc gets my vote.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Jarrah

Ive been researching the same thing and personally am getting the EF yak 88 with DA50. I was almost going to get the WH suk. WH seem to make some quality products.