Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Twist 40, best lil' thing since sliced bread?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hanger 9 Twist 40, best lil' thing since sliced bread?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 AM
MicroDat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Twist 40, best lil' thing since sliced bread?

Just wondering what other people think of the h9 twist 40 and what they can do with it. I fly big and small 3D, sport, warbird planes and the twist 40 is my favorite to fly solo.

Here is my setup

Stock spektrum servos all around, standard on throttle
YS 63 S spinning 13x6 at 11.4K RPM (20/20 powermaster fuel)
CG is on 5" mark.
My throws are ridiculously big, when I go full down elevator the elevator touches the ground and lifts the tail, and if i turn on my flaps they are almost 90 degrees down and stop the plane from taxiing forward.

Here are some things my Twist can do that I can't do on the scale 3D planes (Extras, Yak, etc)

- Flat spins are stationary (yeah, it just spins in one position)
- Inverted flat spins gains elevation. Yep, it gains altitude when I do inverted flat spins!
- Hovers are super easy, I sometimes do a waterfall and go back to the same altitude to hover again.
- Have not tried high alpha much, though I did program in spoilers to stable them out. So far it doesn't seem to be a strength of the twist.
- Knife Edges are not great, I will mix in some aileron to keep it more stable.
- Doing tight donuts on the ground, yeah I like to turn on full rates and give it full rudder/aileron left, full up elevator, and half throttle on the ground. Its so cool to see a plane do such tight donuts.

Just wondering how other people with the twist with a similar setup (Saito 82 is similar in power to a YS 63) are handling some of the extreme throw maneuvers.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:47 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Hanger 9 Twist 40, best lil' thing since sliced bread?

Yep - The Twist 40 sure is a blast (Had a Saito 82 in mine as its last engine and similar throws to you).
the last maneuver I did with it was a Lomcevak all the way into the ground when I got a radio glitch (interference).

I replaced it with a MoJo 60 that had a Saito 100 but currently has a Saito 125 in it. - That's a complete new ball game that almost makes the Twist seem like a High wing trainer on low rates
Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 PM
kerwin50

you should check out the twist thread in the arf section
Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
TruBlu02

Buddy of mine has one with a OS 46ax on it and it is a screamer. We tached the engine at 15,400 with a 11x4 prop. absolutely ballistic vertical. Great value and a fun sport plane not really the best 3D though.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
octanehuffer

The Twist isnt really that great of a 3-D plane. Good sport of fun flyer though.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 AM
bbagle1

I had a twist pnp that I later upgraded with a 55ax. I really liked it once I had the os in it. For a second or third plane it is great. That is why you see so many of them. Even for more experienced pilots it is a blast to fly but it is what it is. It does everything ok and nothing great.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Fred Dings II
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MICRODAT

Read your comments with interest. I have been flying the Twist for two years along with my other planes. Here are some of my thoughts and my humble opinions.
Great little plane for hot doggin' and some 3D and one of my favorites.

What spectrum servos are you using?

I started with an O.S. .46 engine went to a Saito .81 and then went to an O.S. .70 4C and found a perfect match with the O.S. I am not a fan of Saito engines.

I found that there is a really weak spot just behind the wing where the fuse breaks in half. Strengthen that point.

My set up is APC 13-6, S9202 throttle servo, 2 digital S9451 for rudder and elevator and 2 S9202 for ailerons. Futaba 9Z for xmtr.
Control surfaces are all 60 degrees up and down and this can cause trouble on a grass field by breaking the counter balance part of the elevator.

I don't bother trying to fly pattern manuevers with the Twist, I have three pattern planes and use the Twist for tumbling 3D stuff. I haven't gotten a climbing inverted flat spin, but it flat spins flat and inverted, as flat as a saucer. Harriers and such, just OK, nothing really stable but what do you expect for the price. For the price we can buy them on tear-off strips. This plane and the U-Can-Do .46 are the best planes in their price range, but you really need an O.S. .91 pumped on the U-Can for best results with a 14-6 APC.

I just bought another Twist and am mounting pontoons on it as we speak. (write)
I live in PA and am also a float flyer. I am getting my Twist ready as one of my snow planes to fly on snow. Pontoons are better than skiis for snow, and this summer I will take it to the lake.
I am using an O.S. .61 SF for power but haven't decided on an prop yet. I will start out with a 12-6 and experiment from there.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM
MicroDat

Hi Fred,

The servos I used are the ones that come with the DX7 package... http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM2710
Yes, the spot behind the wing saddle is quite weak and I have broken it before (I'm on my third Twist 40 after a crash and midair), so far so good though. As long as you don't have hard landings or crash it, I think it will be fine.

There is one thing I discovered, if you have flaps or spoilers you can climb FAST with inverted and upright flat spins. I'm talking as if you were climbing at full throttle at 45 degrees. When I fly inverted I set the flaps (my flaps are about 70 to 80 degrees) and boom, it climbs. Same thing upright but not as fast (use spoilers instead of flaps).

ORIGINAL: Fred Dings II

MICRODAT

Read your comments with interest. I have been flying the Twist for two years along with my other planes. Here are some of my thoughts and my humble opinions.
Great little plane for hot doggin' and some 3D and one of my favorites.

What spectrum servos are you using?

I started with an O.S. .46 engine went to a Saito .81 and then went to an O.S. .70 4C and found a perfect match with the O.S. I am not a fan of Saito engines.

I found that there is a really weak spot just behind the wing where the fuse breaks in half. Strengthen that point.

My set up is APC 13-6, S9202 throttle servo, 2 digital S9451 for rudder and elevator and 2 S9202 for ailerons. Futaba 9Z for xmtr.
Control surfaces are all 60 degrees up and down and this can cause trouble on a grass field by breaking the counter balance part of the elevator.

I don't bother trying to fly pattern manuevers with the Twist, I have three pattern planes and use the Twist for tumbling 3D stuff. I haven't gotten a climbing inverted flat spin, but it flat spins flat and inverted, as flat as a saucer. Harriers and such, just OK, nothing really stable but what do you expect for the price. For the price we can buy them on tear-off strips. This plane and the U-Can-Do .46 are the best planes in their price range, but you really need an O.S. .91 pumped on the U-Can for best results with a 14-6 APC.

I just bought another Twist and am mounting pontoons on it as we speak. (write)
I live in PA and am also a float flyer. I am getting my Twist ready as one of my snow planes to fly on snow. Pontoons are better than skiis for snow, and this summer I will take it to the lake.
I am using an O.S. .61 SF for power but haven't decided on an prop yet. I will start out with a 12-6 and experiment from there.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Fred Dings II
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MicroDat

I'll sure give the climbing invert a try when I have the weather. thanks for the input. I balance tail heavy intentionally and almost have to use spoilers to land into a stiff wind or it won't come down.

I use about 30 degrees of spoiler to spot land on the ground or water, and work the throttle.