Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need Help from ANYONE who's owned a Vectorflight Edge 540 .60-.90 Guys!!!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Need Help from ANYONE who's owned a Vectorflight Edge 540 .60-.90 Guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help from ANYONE who's owned a Vectorflight Edge 540 .60-.90 Guys!!!

ys,
I just dug a brand new VF Edge 540 .60-.90 sized ARF out of the basement, and I'd like to put it together and fly it.
A couple minutes of Googling revealed that this company has gone out of business, and
my kit is missing the instructions/directions manual, and I would like to know if ANYONE here can help out?
I'd be happy to borrow your old/existing manual, OR purchase it from you. OR, if anyone can send me a copy via email, that would be great.
I would be willing to compensate for your time, shipping/handling, etc. I have built planes in the past, without the instructions, but I have looked this plane over, and there are a number of things where I could REALLY, REALLY use the instruction manual guys. Can ANYONE PLEASE help! LOL!
Thanks for any help you can give guys....

Gu
Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Default RE: Need Help from ANYONE who's owned a Vectorflight Edge 540 .60-.90 Guys!!!

Hey Paul is this the same guy that used to have the Dave Patrick Edge with DA 50? Your not far from here.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need Help from ANYONE who's owned a Vectorflight Edge 540 .60-.90 Guys!!!

sadly the "instruction manual" won't help much.....

it is only about a page and a half....... if that...

I don't have one as I sold my Edge a couple years ago.... Sorry... but I'm sure that someone here will have it
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Paul Cataldo

FlooredCobra,
Yes, that would be me. How did you know? Have we spoke before? It seems your username "FlooredCobra" seems awful familiar to me. ??? How do I know ya?

I am willing to taken anything you guys have. As I said, I can build this plane without a manual, but it sure would be nice to have something to show me a few things in writing. I swear the 30%-35% planes I've built are MUCH easier than this little plane...
I could use ANY documents you guys have...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Paul Cataldo

By the way guys,
As I recall, I actually did read over the VectorFlight Edge manual a few years ago, and it was a LOT more than just one page. Now I don't recall exactly how many pages were included, but I KNOW for a fact that there was a fair amount of info, that included a GOOD number of pages to make up the manual for this plane.
Did you guys perhaps get an older original manual, and I possibly had seen a later version????
Thanks for ANY help guys.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had one about 3-4 years ago but i dont remember much but this. There is a LONG thread on here somewhere about it and im sure if you do a search you will find it. If you read that thread it will have all the info im sure you could use. Gool Luck i do remember it was a sweet flying plane!
Pat
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Paul Cataldo

Still looking for someone to email me the manual guys.
I've had TWO gentlemen email me direct, asking for my email address, and I replied TWICE to each of them, but so far have not heard back from either of them.
Crossing my fingers hoping for the best here guys.. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 AM
3DAP

I had a VF Extra and it was a real piece of doggie poo. It would tip stall rather suddenly. being balanced perfect and set up right. My son said "Dad this thing is flying like sh$t and keeps stalling in approaches. It definatley needed some caress. It was not a 3d plane!! It did not want to do any high alpha. Noticed I said WAS...

Good luck finding manual keep searching

3DAP
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

How did you manage to screw up the assembly of the Extra to not fly well?
This is one great flying plane. I put over 8 gallons through mine last summer. Loved every minute of it. These planes were known good flying planes. The planes were a little on the heavy side because of the full sheeted wing. Any Extra that is on the heavy side will have a tendency to snap. Just keep your speed up, and watch out how much elevator you are using.
Vectorflight made a great product for the price, and had customer service second to none.

Greg
Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
rjbranchii

I have to agree with Greg, VF's were fabulous fliers. They are not intended for high alpha flight. They do not like to go slow. I have alota hours on the Edge and the small Extra they did. Best power on both are ST .90's. I put a Magnum .91 four stroke in the edge and could not get it to go fast enough to perform well, though I did get it into a hover a few times but of course it fell out since the CG was up in IMAC territory. Do not balance the thing tail heavy. They will snap if you do that. But if properly balanced they are very nice birds for precision flying. The manual was 6 pages in fact. Biggest issue in building is to be sure the aileron hinges angle downward in the aileron or you will perforate the top surface. The twin elevator pushrods come together aft of the servo in the radio bay and are secured one to the other with 2 wheel collars. Never had a problem with that in either plane. Those are the only two unusual deals in build. Everything eilse is normal arf. Wing joining you want the spars to slide by each other fairly easily. Otherwise its a little tough to get the spar bolts in at the field. The wings btw, were not sheeted with balsa but covered in vinyl sheeting. This weekend in fact a toolmaker is going to make a plug for the Edge 540 cowl so we can make glass ones if someone needs one. Power it with a good two stroke and light the fire man, it will reward you in precision flying.

For high alpha and 3D choose something else.

bob branch
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

I got one somewhere around here. I'll dig it up and post it on here for ya.
Been going through my hanger the last few weeks prepping for the season. Just started and ran an OS 91FX that's bolted to a VF Edge540. Mine flys great. Build it light. Fly it fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78583.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	872576  
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Sturtz

Ok,, see if this downloads for ya. You will need Microsoft Office Word Reader. Free download at Microsoft.
I included the latest tech notes on the newer wing joiner assembly which was posted on the VF website before they closed doors.
File 3 is blank for some reason but had little if any info . Kinda like the entire manual was anyway. Even the pages of the 4 original manual sheets were upside down.

Right Click= Save Target As.
[link=http://members.cox.net/sturtzrc/VF%20Edge%20540%20Manual]VF Edge540 Manual[/link]
Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Sturtz

Just wondering if you ever got your plane built ?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
buildflycrash

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

How did you manage to screw up the assembly of the Extra to not fly well?
This is one great flying plane. I put over 8 gallons through mine last summer. Loved every minute of it. These planes were known good flying planes. The planes were a little on the heavy side because of the full sheeted wing. Any Extra that is on the heavy side will have a tendency to snap. Just keep your speed up, and watch out how much elevator you are using.
Greg
If you look at the top of the page you might notice your in the 3D Forum. I Had one also it flew like sh*t for 3D. Now go back to the circle flyers area of the forums.
Thank you.

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

Vectorflight made a great product for the price, and had customer service second to none.
Thats why they're doing such a great business today.[:'(]
Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

buildflycrash,

Your handle (screen name) says it all.

Ignorance is bliss....Just keep flying your profiles.

Are those lead outs I see coming out of the left wing tip?

Greg