Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

How much throw?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

How much throw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much throw?

How much throw is too much for 3D flying? Is there any benefit of having more than 45 degrees of throw?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Stick40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much throw?

On the airelons anything more than 45 deg is wasted. With the elevator and rudder I run as much a possible! Some aircraft may snap badly with to much throw so be careful...

Stick 40
Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

In general with out any recs on the owner’s manual I start out with 40-45 on the elevators & rudder
35-40 on the ailerons. I then fly it and check out do I need more or less along with seeing what expo settings I may need to adjust....

You may find some birds 3d well with less elev. throw...
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Depends on prop size also. I had a profile and with one engine I was running a 14" prop. After I switched engines and was using an 11" prop, I had to increase the throws. Obviously the surfaces weren't getting the airflow that the 14" prop was giving.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I get as much as I can. When the wing is stalled all you have is prop wash. every little bit helps.

David
Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

As much as you can get without binding.It takes a few flights to figure it out.Never fly with max on the first few flights.
60% + or- expo is probably the norm at 45 degrees for sensitivity.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 PM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

OK Thanks for the info but, I am setting up my new "Primo" (Same guy that makes the MOJO). It's a .40 size profile. I am able to get almost 90 degrees in each direction on the rudder and elevator. I will be running a Saito 82 with a 14" prop. So let me ask this question? How much throw are you getting on your 3D set up. I'm going to limit the ailerons to 45 or less. Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 PM
XJet
Banned

It's been my experience that once you get past about 50-60 degrees of throw then there's nothing extra to be gained.

Air doesn't like going around sharp bends and once you exceed a critical angle, the flow over the control surface will stagnate near the hinge-line, producing a much lower "effective angle of deflection" anyway.

Also don't forget that as you adjust the linkage geometry to get more throw, you're reducing the amount of force you're able deliver to the control surface. In a maneuver such as a blender you may find that you get *less* effect because the servo's maximum torque limit is exceeded and you get blow-back.

Also remember that as you go to larger and larger throws, the *precision* of your servo movement will reduce because each "step" of resolution will be a larger deflection of the surface.

I recently set up a 50cc gasser with a *lot* of control throw and found that the limited resolution of the HS5955TG servos (even with the lowest dead-band setting) meant it was difficult to fly straight and level. I reduced the elevator throws and all is now well.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

Anything over 44 degrees is worthless for anything but an air brake, you can do any and all 3D as tight as can be with 40 degrees and it still is working like a brake some. There are some people that say more is better, and depending on the airframe you can give too much thinking you want all you can get, it will do everything better with less.
So on your airframe start with about 30 degrees on high rates and then you can adjust more in or less in and see where you want it and where it works the best. On a Yak it usually is about 38, a Sukhoi it is 42 on a Extra it is usually around 37 to 40 and a Edge it is around 30 for 3D throws that the plane performs the best on. Some may like more, I just go for efficiency, I guess that is why there are still aeronautical engineers like me left in the world to figure out efficiency and not just stupid big.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So with all that being said,

Different planes respond differently to different setups. One profile responds differently than others, and profiles in general reposnd differntly than scale aerobatic planes. I cant explain to you the reason WHY things work the ways they do aerodynamically but I can tell you from my experience what works on these kinds of profiles.. There are a lot of awesome profile guys that can tell you a lot more than me.

Here is my experience. For a 3D profile I would say start out with 60 degrees or so of high rate elevator up and down start with about 45 negative expo(just to get the same feel around center), then max out the rudder throw to where it all but touches the elevators and start with about 60 negative expo. For the ailerons start out with 35-45 degrees of throw for high rate, the bigger the aileron surfaces the less you need and about 30 ngative expo. On a Mojo, probably about 35-45 degrees of high rate ailerons is really plenty, those big old ailerons are crazy effective.

For this stuff, I would listen to the guys that actually fly hard 3D with profiles, not so much the aerodynamic engineers. The profile guys know what works and that is what counts.