Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

YS 110 needs a home

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

YS 110 needs a home

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
flyherlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS 110 needs a home

I just got back an email from Jason at Maxair and the total cost to purchase two Velox plus shipping to Calif would be $285.00. I'm now reconcidering because my thinking was to unload the second one here or at a swap meet to help pay for mine but that would mean I would have to get $142.50 for just an even split. I'm not sure I could get that for a plane that is not well known. Around here anyway. Mmmmmm! Jerry
Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Desert Toad

I hear ya. But for the price of one Funtana plus just a little, you'd have a second one....just in case.....not that I'd ever need it.......hehe.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Desert Toad

My thoughts exactly. I did the same, hope to hear they still have some. How is the build on this plane? Does it need any extra mods to handle the 110 - motor mount, radio placement, etc?
Desert Toad,

This plane builds nice and easy. But you'll want to check the glue joints. Most are putting a good bit of CA on the joints just to make sure. Most people have had the firewall come loose (including me) but it can't come off because of the design. So you'll want to epoxy it a bit also. I found the covering, especially the black, to be hard to work with. It can "ripple" on you if you're not careful. The 110 bolts right in. In fact the plane is designed around that engine. The cowl has the neatest fit of any airplane in this class. It bolts on like a quality 50cc or larger plane. You can't see any of the bolts and it doesn't have those unsightly wear marks or elongated holes. Pretty neat. The landing gear is aluminun and the plane is very tough. I pancaked mine pretty hard twice. The only damage was it spred the landing gear. Bent it back to shape and off we went again.

I estimate about 20 hours for me to build. Maybe 30. But I seem to be very slow at it. My Funtana and Showtime and Mayhem took about the same. My FUsion was the hardest to build in this class for me. UCD is the easiest. Also the UCD is one of the "funnest" planes to fly, but that's another thread.

Mine weighed 8lbs 12ozs when I was done. I did nothing special to keep it light...or to make it heavier for that matter. In comparison: Funtana 90 size: a whopping 9lbs 14ozs, UCD 7lbs 8ozs, Fusion: 7lbs 4ozs, Mayhem, 7lbs 6ozs, Ultra Stick Lite: 9lbs 0ozs.

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Desert Toad

I think the cost of shipping has turned me off of the Velox. So now it's going to be a Funtana, U-Can-Do, or a mayhem.....

Any input?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Barry Cazier

Desert Toad...

Oddly enough I've had all of the planes you are talking about, each with the mighty 110 in it.

My least favorite was my Funtana, mostly because it was over a pound heavier than they said it would be and no matter how I balanced it, it always landed/flew tail heavy. Mine was the 90 size (old yellow) not the new 100. So maybe it's better. But I'd choose either of the other two before I went to a Funtana. But that's just me.

The UCD 60 with the mighty 110 is one awesome combo. I just love this plane and don't ever see a time that I won't have one. It is one of the most fun combo you'll ever fly. It will do a rising flat spin (inverted) which is a rare stunt for most planes. It hovers easy and does flips, spins, rolls, waterfalls etc as good as any plane. It's weakest flight characteristics are KE and Harrier. Mine weighs 7lbs 12ozs. I would say this plane is a little bit fragile also. Certainly it isn't as tough as the Mayhem. Yet the Mayhem is lighter at 7lbs 6ozs I think. Mostly I think this is because it only has one elevator servo.

The Mayhem is a great airplane also. I really liked mine. It has more wing area and less fuse length than the UCD. That translate to being a little harder to hover, but still pretty easy, and even better flat spins if that's possible. It will pinwheel just fantastic and will also do the illusive rising flat spin. This is the slowest landing plane I've ever seen. It literally will land at about the speed of a slow walk. It's a super easy plane to fly and yet will do great 3d when asked. It will KE better than the UCD but way worse than the Velox. The weakest part I thought were the axles. They are very flimsy and I changed them out after I broke on in flight. This is a very well built and engineered airplane. Better than the UCD. It also looks a little better and a little more scale, at least to my eyes. It's about $40 more money if that makes a difference but does use one less servo, so you make part of that (or all of that depending on which servos you use) back.

If you asked me to pick one for you....I'd say go with the Mayhem. Only reason not to...if you want to hover all day long. THe UCD does that better.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

thanks
Barry
Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Desert Toad

Barry,

Thanks a ton for all the great info. I just found the Mayhem online for only $179, so that's looking like the way to go. All my radio gear is Hitech, which servos would I need? Would the HS625's running 4.8 volts be enough, or do I have to go overboard and get the HS5625 and run 6 volts.

Jim
Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Barry Cazier

Desert Toad...

That is the normal price for the 40 size bird. Make sure you are getting the 60 size. If so that is a good buy. I ran HS5625 on mine with 4.8 volt. If I was building it today...I'd use HS5625 on 6 volt. I firmly believe the better servos you use the better the plane flys. And then you can always use the servos again in another plane. That's my opinion.

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

The plane is an easy build. I have one ready to maiden with a Saito 1.50 on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94167.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	896319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76149.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	896320  
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Desert Toad

Alright, I did it. Thanks a ton to everyone for all the input, I know I won't be disappointed.

In case anyone else is looking for a super deal on the Mayhem: http://store.obrienhobbies.com/sigma3d91spa.html

DT