Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

seagull 46 size edge 540 anyone have one

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

seagull 46 size edge 540 anyone have one

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Jason12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: seagull 46 size edge 540 anyone have one

I just got my edge 540 done put a saito .82 on it alum spinner and acording to the manual 9.5cm CG at the tip im extremly nose heavy.
Ist hat the cg that everyone else used? I might have to put my battery on a stick hanging out the back
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 PM
ndb8fxe
My Feedback: (1)

How would this plane do with a TT f.75s?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Vuela

It flies nicely and looks great. I would not call it a 3d plane or high alpha - the ailerons are small- but you should be able to knife edge nicely. I have a 4 stroke 80 that handles it well.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Vuela

I have one with a Magnum 80 four stroke and a 13X6 prop. The plane flies nicely and looks great. It is not a great 3d plane because of the relatively small ailerons depending on how you like to fly, but it can knife edge nicely. Landings are done best with a little speed. Even though it is a 46 size, it is closer to a 60 size plane in both size and weight. It needs a bit of re-enforcing where the motor mount meets the firewall area as well as the area behind the firewall and landing gear with a bit of angle stock. Do not mount a 46 size engine as this plane cannot be balanced correctly nor fly well with this size engine. It needs an engine that weighs at least 22 oz correctly since it is pretty tail heavy. A great combo for this plane is an 80 or 90 size 4 stroke mounted at the 7 or 8 o'clock (225 degree) position so that the muffler lines up directly underneath.

My next one will be the 60 size Seagull Yak

Have fun!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
ndb8fxe
My Feedback: (1)

That's a shame I was hoping for a good 3D machine for my FS .75. Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
pilot4ifr

High PLanes what prop are you using on your irvine .53 as I have the same setup , I am using an 11-7 prop I was thinking of using an 11-6 or 11-8( I think it is to much pitch)
Except I went with a new linkage on the engine all together using a clevis.
Have you had any problems with the structure?
This arf was an easy build and I thought the instructions were great. I do feel the firwall could be stronger as I will add a top plate to box it in complete. I do not like the two piece landing gear either and will change it all once it fails... ( Like we all have not had that happen.)
Does anyone else have any comments on this aircraft?
I do suggest not using an exhaust extension on the muffler ( As they call for in the kit) and just extending the exhaust pipe tip a little . My muffler is tucked and all I had to trim was the front opening for the cowling to let enough air pass for cooling. Also I only have a small slit on the bottom rear to allow airflow and the tip of the exhaust sticks out there.

Enjoy and thanks for a reply on the irvine if I can get one ...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Wingspam

I have about 30 flights on this plane now, with a 55 ax turning a 12x6 prop. It fly's very well, and lands a little quick. It is not a very capable 3d plane with just the 55ax on it.
Sure it does the basics loops, rolls ect. But is not capable of hovering with this motor..

Old 11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
pilot4ifr

ORIGINAL: Jason12

I just got my edge 540 done put a saito .82 on it alum spinner and acording to the manual 9.5cm CG at the tip im extremly nose heavy.
Ist hat the cg that everyone else used? I might have to put my battery on a stick hanging out the back
I used 9cm on the tip and yes very nose heavy. I moved the battery to the same place as the receiver. that helped and is only slightly nose down ( Irvine .53).
Also what pipe do you have ... I do have a slightly longer pipe that the outlet comes out right infront of the firewall and I think that is my extra weight.
I need to take pictures and include them on my next post.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 PM
v8zracer260z

I'm using a .61 Evolution with a 12x6 prop on mine with great results. I mounted the reciever battery behind the servos to balance it out properly at 9.5 cm. Just flew it again today on a fairly windy day at it handled fine. Landing are a little quick as previously noted and even with the .61 it is not a 3d plane but soes climb with authority. I had mounted a .46 on it originally and it was dangerously underpowered and needed full throttle to stay airborne. Overall great sport flyer. Very happy with the plane especially for the price!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

Put one together a couple of weeks ago that was given to me by another club member for some work I did for him....Used a OS 61FX with a slimline pitts muffler, I had laying around doing nothing...did one modification...I used only one elevator servo...joined the elevator halves together with a piece of music wire and epoxy glue....just like we used to do when we had to build our planes from kits...and the way the weight came out for the cg, I would mount the elevator servo at the rear  side of the fuselage..that would eliminate the 1.2 ounces of lead fastened underneath by the tail wheel bracket..The dry weight came out at 6 pounds 5 ounces...which like mentioned in earlier post is heavy for a .46 size plane that's trying to be a 3D plane...tried a few different props on the engine...Top Flite 11 x 7.5 had just a little over 5.3 pounds of static thrust , 12 x6 had 6.15 pounds thrust and the best was an old Rev Up 13 x 5 prop...7 pounds thrust...Like v8zracer260z mentioned above it's a good sport plane, but not a good 3D plane..I did find, opposed to the others above, that the plane lands very nicely...cut the throttle back to 1/4 on final and at the end of the runway chop the throttle and it just settles in. Only flew it 4 times so have a limited feed back on all the tricks...but it does knife edge well, just a shade of coupling, snap rolls are that, nice snaps, but I had the ailerons set up a little much...slow rolls are very easy, with 3/4 throttle,,,didn't want to snap out of a loop with an aggressive elevator throw...all summed up just a very good sport plane for the money...it's nothing like it's bigger brother though...Have one of them 8 pounds 3 ounces, with the YS 110 turning a APC 16.5 x 5w prop and just shy of 14 pounds of thrust..it's a blast to fly...only complaint on that plane is the gear is on the weak side..

If I were to build another one it would have at least a Saito 91 or 100 up front, make up a set of over sized ailerons and also enlarge the elevator, put the elevator servo in the rear of the plane and maybe the rudder servo also...would depend on if I needed weight in the rear for the CG to come out right..

Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
ccameselle

Hello Guys, I have a couple of questions and a problem. The questions are: where are you guys balancing the plane? Are you guys using the 9.5 cm that the manual recomed? I think that it will be too nose heavy like that. And the problem that I am having is with the elevator servos. When I use my radio Hitech Spectrum the two elevator servos do not work in sync. But when I use my friend's futaba they do. The mechanical set up is the same for both the servos are the same model movong the same arm and everything is the same. Now I have a Phoenix extra 330 with dual elevator servos and I have no problem with that one. I do not know what to do. Thank you in advanced for all your help.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:23 PM
lou1947

just built one for a friend and we used a Y harness for the elevators rather than mixing two channels it works fine. He is using a Saito 82 and we had to add about 4z of weight to the front. We balance the blane at 3.7 inches from the wing tip and the plane flies rock solid. Hope that helps....
Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
ccameselle

When I put this model together I somehow ignored the specs for the elevator and wanted to have as much throws as possible. I had 3 inches up and 3 down on the elev. Of course that I was gonna have problems not being in sync. Then I took a look at that little book that come with it. I think you call it a "manual" and there it was the sugested % of throws for the Elev. What do you know the little book works for something other than to keep my dog from peeing int he floor. Cool!!!. I did the maiden flight and I ahve to tell you what a nice plane this is. Very predictable and easy to fly. My friend and I bought this plane together and we have an os 70 Surpass 4 stroke and it is underpower. but not by much. It holds the knife edge for a bit and it does good pattern flight. This is the second plane that I have that I do not have to correct anything on the maiden flight.
The day was sunny as hell and hot. No wind and very high Humidity. It is a MIAMI thing. We were doing the test flight at The Tamiami park. After checking and rechecking everything I get the control and point the plane to the take off position. I give it a bit of gas to get it rolling and it starts to track straight as an arrow so I give it more gas and up it goes. It felt like it was like the 20th flight no corrections needed. The only thing that I changed after the first flight was the expo. We did not have enough and going into the elevator area when I was doing rolls. We did a 8 min flight and came in for a landing. Boy can this plane float. I have to say this plane is up there with my U can do 3d in terms of floating. The landing was perfect and I was very happy with the plane. I would recomend this plane to everyone.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 PM
matador_24

hello guy...

could anyone upload or send me a link of the manual???? I lost it...

thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 AM
mati0412

Hello .
I have problem with my edge 540 ( engine asp .61 2stroke ) - what propeller i should use ? .
I can' t balance my plane . I put 200g to tail but its still unstable
I set at 9.5 cm from the edge.
Please help me .