Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Plane for a Saito 100

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Plane for a Saito 100

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Plane for a Saito 100

I've got a Saito 100 at home looking for a place to stretch its legs. I've got a 3D foamy and enjoy it, but every time I see a glow or gas 3D plane I want an ICE on the front of my 3d plane. Anywho, I don't want a profile plane. Yeah, I know mojo's are awesome, but that's not what I'm looking for. I've been flying for 2 years and flying 3D for almost 1.5 years. Yeah, it was a quick jump...probably why I crashed so much. The engine was on a Fliton Edge, which I throughly loved until the Rx battery was unplugged after a violent snap. The crash destroyed the engine, which I've since rebuilt. It might as well be NIB now.

I'm considering the Fliton Extra & Edge, the Hyperion planes, and the Extremeflight planes. I'd much rather pay more for a better plane than regret buying a cheaper one later. I'm looking for a plane in the 6lb range that can fly pattern decently well. I know it's a tall order, and I'm definitely not limited to the ones mentioned above. Opinions on any of them? I know the Flitons are a pain to build, but it flew so well it didn't bug me.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3D Plane for a Saito 100

a plane that can max out with a 60 size 2 stroke, a 100 4s would suite it fine as well
Old 06-06-2008, 09:08 PM
mike07

i have the filton edge 540 was not bad to build but use two servos for elev in rear i have an os 91 4 stoke on it still lite flys great i love it i also have a kanke cap 232 sport with a saito 100 on it and it fly great also love both planes at this time i am building the h9 funtana x100 with a saito 125 on it hope this helps
Old 06-07-2008, 02:22 AM
custards1

lol forget a fatty if you want true 3d get a profile moass mojo and you will never look back. the saito 100 is the perfect motor. i just finished mine and it came in at 5.7pound and flys sweet. You can get them from here http://www.swanyshouse.com/index.aspx . I know they are a kit but man they are easy to put together. Im not a builder and it only took about 40 hours and that was using wood glue(pva) so with ca much faster. here is a link to my 3rd flight http://youtube.com/watch?v=_72htxZxhh0 . i have been flying for many years but only 3d for just under a year and was very comfortable to bring it to the deck. and im sure with the moass mod making it longer in the fuse it would track straight for some pattern work
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 AM
kid chuckles

Funtana X100 would be a great plane for a Saito 100. The Frenzy100 would also be a good choice. I have the Frenzy with a 125 and a 100 would work great. I can hover just above 1'4 throttle so I am sure the 100 would do so at 1/2 or 5/8 throttle. And have great vertical also. Either plane would work fine. Everyone has an EXTRA, or EDGE. Hard to find better landing planes than the two mentioned also.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

My Saito 100 and U-Can-Do 60 is a great combination. More than enough power.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
victorzamora

I've flown several of the U-Can-Do's and haven't been really impressed. A friend of mine has the 100x with a 125 on it and is always complaining about lack of power. Plus, I owned the 50x and was never impressed with its performance.

If I get a profile, it'll definitely be the Mojo60! Right now though, I'm looking for an ARF and a fatty. I can't find the Flitons anywhere, it seems like they've been discontinued. The Hyperions are really expensive. It seems like the Aeroworks Edge 540 46-61 is getting awesome reviews, so I may go with that one instead.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
nappy99

I have a 100 in Showtime 90....flies well, just setting up for 3D and vertical. The plane weighs 9lbs (dry) and my Saito 100 pulls 12.5 LBS thrust on 30% heli fuel, with APC16x4 prop @9600 RPM. Those weights are measured using a digital 15lb fish scale, i'd say you want a plane in the 7-8lb range, so go with 60 size plane if you want 3D extreeme, don't be afraid to spend extra $$$ on 30% nitro, it's only $8 more per jug, and a jug gets me around 8 flights, so that is only $1 extra per flight, WELL WORTH the extra fun of having a hyper saito 100 strung out on 30% nitro !!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Go for a profile if you want to learn and excell at 3D. The MOJO 60 is the perfect plane. I have one and love this plane, I also fly the 50cc birds and this thing will do everything my bigger planes do and i think will hover and harrier land better than my larger planes, with the exception of My OMP Hybrid Edge.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
victorzamora

I don't really have the time or space to build a kit....unfortunately. I've owned a couple of profiles though, and I agree that they're absolutely awesome for pure 3D. I'm looking for a fatty though. Removable wings and looks both are kind of a big deal for me.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Stuff it into a Funtana 50,the better choice would be a Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle - 60 inch
http://www.fliton.com/new/doc/frame.asp
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
victorzamora

I must sound like the pickiest person on the planet. I owned a Funtana X50 and after countless flights and countless setup changes, I was never happy with its performance. It had no KE capabilities (even with the SFG's installed), it was ridiculously weak, it was unstable in harriers and elevators, it creeped out of hovers, etc.

I'm looking for something like the Fliton Edge and Extra. Does anyone have any experience with with the small Aeroworks Edge or the Extremeflight Extra??
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah the EF Extra is probably another good canditade.The Fliton is proven to be a winner with a 91 or 100 over the years.Full fuse 100's are tough to pick from.Only few deliver.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
victorzamora

Yeah. Unfortunately, I've learned that the hard way.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
jamesrxx951

i've owned and flown both the fliton edge and the aeroworks .46 edge. the fliton is by far the better airplane. i regret buying the aeroworks edge. i crashed {dumb thumb}my fliton so i tried a aeroworks same exact setup saito 100 same servos the aeroworks uses one less but the aeroworks was about a pound heavier. the fliton is way more agile and aerobatic. i'm thinking on selling my aeroworks because i really just don't like flying it. just not what i like. if you can find a fliton buy that if not showtime 50 would be a great plane also saito 100 might be alittle big but will just have to put the battery in the back for correct cg.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:42 PM
victorzamora

I've heard that the Showtime 50 is a little more than snap-happy. I've also heard that they're great fliers, but they're a little weak at 3D. I found one place with a Fliton Edge. I'm going to have to go ahead and order it just to keep it until I have the money for the servos and stuff. I hope my parents let me go ahead and buy it before they all get gone.

I'm glad that you compared the two planes. I've been looking for someone that has had them both so that they can compare them. I absolutely loved my Fliton Edge. I maidened it in like 20-30mph winds...and the plane could barely feel the winds. My second choice is the Fliton Extra....supposed to be a little heavier but have more wing area. A trade-off, but a Saito 100 is more than enough power for either one. If that plan falls through, I might end up going with the Showtime.

Regardless of which plane I go with...I'm thinking about Futaba S9001 servos. Any opinion? Possibly a better servo on the rudder?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:44 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

I have the Fliton Extra and will have another when this one is gone. I would go with minis in the tail for elevator like Hitec 225MGs. At least a 100 oz servo for the rudder and standards or high speeds for the ailerons. The Extra flies very well and the edge is similar.
YOu have made a great plane decision!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
jamesrxx951

personally i would not recomend nylon geared servos. i've seen them strip in mid air and it wasn't pretty. stick to a metal gear servo and around 70+ ounce of torque for each elevator halves and ailerons and over 100 for rudder. a little more but cheep insurance.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
dashunde

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

a) I've heard that the Showtime 50 is a little more than snap-happy.
b) I've also heard that they're great fliers, but they're a little weak at 3D.

a) Yea, It'll snap... but its not particularly fussy with a bunch of bad habits.

b) Your right, Its tail is pretty long...

I do think the Show50 is well built.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 PM
victorzamora

I've been told that the Fliton Edge, and the Extra for that matter, come out a little nose-heavy. In fact, my Edge came out fairly nose-heavy. I'll have the same engine and the same set-up on the next plane. Plus, the weight difference is less than an ounce....and the minis are like twice as expensive as the S9002's. I think that metal-geared servos are a little bit of overkill on a 60-sized plane. Also, if you've ever seen a Goldberg Obsession in real life you'll know why I'm going to say this. It's HUGE rudder requires only 70oz-in of torque....so the much smaller rudder on ANY 60 sized plane won't need 100oz-in. Yeah, it'd be nice to have it...but I dunno. I guess I talked myself into that set-up after I posted the question. I run a 6V 1650mAh NiMH, so it'll have 72oz of torque...which probably should be plenty. I dunno.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
victorzamora

Dashunde, I meant it doesn't perform particularly well in 3D situations...not that it's structurally weak. It's definitely a solid plane.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM
maineflyer

I have the Extra as stated with Spektrum digis all around. The elevator servo is under the canopy not in the rear. If you read the Fliton threads you will see guys using the minis for weight savings and to get shorter linkages in the rear. You will have to cut out and build your own servo hold downs in the tail of the plane. If I had to do it again I would do this for shorter more positive control linkages. Mine balanced almost dead on with the elevator servo in the center. If you put standard servos in the tail you will have to add weight to the nose most likely. I would use metal geared servos on the elevator halves and rudder. The one Spektrun digital servo for the elevator seems fine so far. I would go with 6 vts however on the servos for speed and holding power.
Jeff
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 PM
jamesrxx951

my fliton edge had a saito 100 and to keep it balanced with out any weight at all i used a hitec 5625 for rudder and used 2 hitec 5245's in the rear. i had to cut out the holes for the servo's to fit in the tail and support the balsa where it screwed in. i believe that i kept the servos towards the front section of the tail for one that they will fit without hitting each other and for cg. i kept the cg at the farthest back that is recommened and it flew awsome. it was by far my favorite plane.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 AM
victorzamora

James, I had my elevator servo in the center of the fuse...and the plane came out a touch nose-heavy. I had to mount my battery as far back as possible to balance in the center of the given range, if I remember correctly. I figure I can put my battery towards the front if I use both servos in the back and the CG should come out okay. I should then be able to scoot the CG back slowly. Right? That's the plan anyway.

Jeff, what's the point of using 2 MG servos on the elevator, when the ailerons (much bigger control surfaces) would be just as destructive to lose? Also, why would you recommend two MG servos on the elevator when you have 1 nylon gear servo on your elevator? Two nylon gear servos provide much more redundancy than a single nylon gear servo....or a single metal gear servo for that matter.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 AM
maineflyer

Victor,
The ailerons are a bigger surface but in my experience then don't have the(stress) that the elevator will have on them. This is only a .60 size plane and will not be subjected to over 100 oz stress other than the rudder. You could go with regular 225s on the elevator (nylon) I just like mg sevos on the elevator as added insurance. The reason I recommended the 255MGs for the elevator is this: 1) they are minis with 67 oz of holding power (close to 135 oz total and 2) they weigh just under 1 oz each. bigger full size servos with nylon gears would be fine but they weigh close to 2 oz each. My digitals are holding up fine, I have never had a servo failure on this size plane (knock on wood). The servos I am using put out 88 oz. of torque. I am under sized on the rudder and will probably change it out to a higher torque servo. I have done some blenders, flat spins and 3D and have'nt had any issues but I have the plane set up using one elevator servo with the split rod set up. This allows a little flex on the elevators and isn't as crisp as it should be in negative manuevers (push) so I don't push it like I want to.
My next one will have the minis in the tail a mini on the throttle and high speed digis on the ailerons and 100 + one on the rudder. This plane is great. Especially if you can keep it light.
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.