3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Fun World 3D

Old 06-29-2008, 08:09 PM
rideon67
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fun World 3D

Has anybody flown this 120 size World Models plane? I've got one on order strictly based on published wing area and weight. Planning on pulling it with a Saito 120 that will barely hover 11 lbs (no pull out) so if it comes in at less then 10 lb I'm hoping it will fly.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
mikeboyd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Fun World 3D

ORIGINAL: rideon67

Has anybody flown this 120 size World Models plane? I've got one on order strictly based on published wing area and weight. Planning on pulling it with a Saito 120 that will barely hover 11 lbs (no pull out) so if it comes in at less then 10 lb I'm hoping it will fly.
I had one of these with a 1.20 4S, which flew it, without much vertical. I replaced the 1.20 with a ST2300 with stock muffler, mounted inverted and it ROCKED!!!!

I used a Futaba 9C with crow set-up and you could nearly park it in the air and harrier almost straight down.

With the huge, thick wing, the airplane is so neutral, gentle, and predictable, you can explore your own personal envelople, like with a UCD, only bigger.

I replaced the landing gear with a Four Star 120 aluminum gear from the LHS, since the Chinese steel in the supplied Wire format, bent too easily on the rough grass field I fly on.

Hope you enjoy the plane as much as I did mine. I ended up selling mine to a very good friend, to get him into big birds. He was a former student, and really enjoyed learning new things this plane gave him the confidence to try with it.

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd
Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
rideon67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was afraid of the lack of vertical with a 120. The published numbers tend to be fiction in most cases, but these area to weight ratio numbers appear to have quite a bit of leeway for a great wing loading. Did you try running your 120 on 30% fuel?

Also, how did you get "crow"? Separate flaps and ailerons?

Thanks for the tip on landing gear. I'll replace the wires to start with. Any other weak spots?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
mikeboyd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rideon67

I was afraid of the lack of vertical with a 120. The published numbers tend to be fiction in most cases, but these area to weight ratio numbers appear to have quite a bit of leeway for a great wing loading. Did you try running your 120 on 30% fuel?

Also, how did you get "crow"? Separate flaps and ailerons?

Thanks for the tip on landing gear. I'll replace the wires to start with. Any other weak spots?
Let's see 30% helo fuel will soon be over $30/gallon, so it won't take too many gallons the pay for a gas engine or a cheap glow engine that will run on either FAI or 5%nitro, at less than half the price of 30%. Don't know what's going on with Nitro here, but price is skyrocketing to make the higher nitro fuel way too expensive for those who like to fly allot.

I think if you beef up the firewall, one of the less expensice gas 26cc engines would fly the airplane pretty well. The ST2300 is being sold by Tower for $139.99 right now, so it is cheap and reliable and runs great on 5% nitro. That engine with an APC 17X6 or 18X6W prop will give nearly unlimited vertical. Since you won't be flying at full throttle much, since throttle management will be paramount, it doesn't burn too much more than the 120 4S.

As far as the crow set up, if you are using a 9C, go to the Futaba website, questions and answers http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c.html and look up the crow set up, with separate elevator servos. If you follow that, it is pretty simple, if you really understand the radio. I have the same setups on my GB Wildstik 120's and will also use it on my new GUCD, when it arrives from Tower this week.

Well, gotta get back to my class, don't want students waiting on me. Good luck, Mike Boyd
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM
rideon67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, been away for a while & just saw your response. Thanx for the tips. A buddy gave me a case of 30%, so flying that fuel will be pretty cheeep. I'm sorta used to flying 3D with marginal power with my OMP 540 powered by an OLD Quadra 35. With a big wing area and light weight I find slow maneuvers to be a lot of fun and with lack of punch-out power you must stay ahead of the plane or 2 mistakes high like I usually am.