Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

.46 size beginner

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

.46 size beginner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
jeepdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .46 size beginner

Hey all, First post woohoo.
I am tired of looking for the right plane. So I wan't your opinions. Here's the scoop. I currently am flying the Nexstar and am gaining confidence (after clipping a tree, nose diving the ground and rebuilding it). If I have a mishap or my son does I am not buying another nexstar arf to put the moter/servos etc.. in. I wan't something fully acrobatic and small enough to put my .46 in. What do you think.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
custards1

Default RE: .46 size beginner

MOJO 40
link http://www.swanyshouse.com/index.aspx
just dial the rates back a bit and it would make a great second plane and when ready just get bigger throws. And the best thing is the are tough (so i here not crashed mine yet) .arfs are out of stock but dont be frightened of the kit it is a very easy build
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid you have me totally confused. You have said you clipped a tree dove into ground whatever else and apparently the Nexstar was more than you could handle so you want something MORE aerobatic. Sorry don't follow your thinking. I suggest you find an instructor that can advise you.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i recommend you learn to solo, then get one of these its an aerobatics trainer.... on high rates its a blast to fly!! http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2140
Old 08-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't mean to be rude, but this is the 3-D forum and there are one, maybe two models (maybe five or six) between a Nexstar and a 3-D capable model - and those might ought be a stik variant or a low-wing aerobatic model. Several variations and makes to choose from, but I can't think of a "good" 3-D model that would make a good choice for a second model.

You can kill a 3-D model in a power dive just from control surface turbulance and you have to fly two seconds ahead of them at all times. Hardly a good training tool for "smooth" aerobatics. 3-D is a step beyond what is normally considered fully aerobatic (Aresti patterns, at least).
Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

MODELTECH MAGIC is a good second model and is 3D capable. However it is a pig to steer on the ground as is light therefor fragile!

SEE http://www.hobbypeople.net/review/123740man.htm
Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
jeepdad

ORIGINAL: TedMo

I'm afraid you have me totally confused. You have said you clipped a tree dove into ground whatever else and apparently the Nexstar was more than you could handle so you want something MORE aerobatic. Sorry don't follow your thinking. I suggest you find an instructor that can advise you.

Sorry for the lack of info. but this is how it is I don't want a high wing trainer any longer When I'm ready for my second plane and when the time comes or when it finds mother earth I want a responsive aerobat I want to have some fun I have been looking at some planes but there are so many and I thought that I could get some good suggestions on which one.

maybe I posted in wrong place and don't need or shouldn't try 3d yet but heck guy's life is short
Old 08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
burnie1

G'day
Yeah life is short, so you should do all you can to enjoy it. Getting a full on 3D plane and destroying it after a very short time does not add up to a good time. Much better you get one of the aerobatic style 2nd planes ie, 4star, tiger, pulse etc. You will find that this is a big step up from your trainer but you will have a much better chance of learning a lot and getting a lot of enjoyment from the plane. It's not a bad investment as even when your skills are beyond this plane and you are flying more advanced planes, you will still enjoy getting that aerobatic trainer out just to fly and have fun. Plus there is a real good chance all the equpitment from your trainer will be right at home in this type of 2nd plane. You said it "life is short" so do your best to enjoy it.
Have a good one
Andrew
Old 08-09-2008, 01:20 PM
jeepdad

Yeah I am probably not as ready for a 3d as I think. thanks for the response all.
Before I was considering a 3d as a 2nd plane I was looking at the tiger and others.
Thanks again for the input
Old 08-10-2008, 02:09 AM
custards1

There is still no reason why a mojo could not be a good second plane. with the cg forward and control throws down low it it would be good. all that you need to learn is use the throttle. Not a big task. they fly great on the wing very stable at low speed for landing. and will do the basic flight moves like loops and rolls with ease. then when ready you can start to use bigger throws and eventually be able to move the cg back to learn 3d. All you need out of 1 plane. my second plane was a fun fly and i had no problems in learning how it flew. I learnt heaps with it. MOJO is a good plane and a good choice for a second plane.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:00 AM
qm40dego
My Feedback: (53)

HEY JEEPDAD, THERE ARE ARFS OUT THERE FROM $69.00 TO $99.00 THAT MAKE GREAT SPORT OR 3D PLANES YOU AND YOUR SON CAN HAVE A LOT OF FUN WITH .........DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. GO HAVE SOME FUN..........
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
rzarikian

I got a Funtana S40 after just 10 flights or so with my trainer (only one flight with instructor), I was already flying my trainer inverted[X(] so I wanted something nice and stable at low rates but very flickable at high rates so I went with the funtana, I gotta tell you I was pretty nervous on my maiden flight because everybody said that these planes are very hard to fly and whatnot. But after take of I did some trimming and I couldn't believe how well she flies. Super stable and predictable. It eaven land better than the trainer. After only a couple of flights I was flying inverted and doing all sorts of stuff. up to date I've never crashed, just the typical wing tip kisses with the runway on windy days but that normal since its a very low plane. But I suggest you get a simulator. Before I flew my funtana I did some touch and goes with a funt. 90 in the simulator just to get a feeling of how it would handle. The only thing about this type of airplane is that if you get disoriented of mess up she ain't gonna forgive you so keep that in mind!. Keep in slow and high and you'll be fine!

BUT.... If you really have a hard time flying your trainer I strongly suggest to keep flying it until you feel confident. oh and get a simulator it really helps, just don't get used to crashing!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM
jeepdad

Thanks for all the really good advice guy's. That's all I needed, besides a little more research and funds.. In the mean time I'm flyin' my trainer like I stole it.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Jim T
My Feedback: (1)

It's been my experience that most 3D capable planes fly like *****cats on low rates. You just might want to keep the cg a little further forward that the "hotdoggers" would like it.

Jim
Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Thumbsticks

Jeepdad, Take a look at the Tower Uproar 40 ARF available from Omnimodels. Great value and will work excellent with your .46. It is kindof "In-Between" trainer and 3D and will allow you the opportunity to learn alot and not shut down the bank account when it tries to dig dirt.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
zaboaa

My second plane a couple years ago was a Twist, not full out 3D. But I think i might be a good segue.... Just a thought...
Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 AM
MicroDat

http://www.3dxhobbies.com/TMPRO_s/136.htm

best little 46 size 3d plane I've flown (the 46 katana v2)
Old 09-13-2008, 06:42 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Sig Four Star hands down. You will not find a better second or third plane around. If You would consider a kit, The four Star 60 is all lazer cut.

Take the box, add glue and shake real hard. Out will come one of the best flying sport planes around and it will grow with You.

Like has allready been said, above all, have fun.
john