Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor 160?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor 160?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 AM
poundkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor 120-160?

Yes. Replace the landing gear with this:

http://www.graphtechrcshop.com/produ...&categoryId=15

And replace with wing tube with this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-arf-HAN475011

I've also gone as far as removing the cowl and spinner to save weight. Removing the cowl is also a benefit in keeping my motor cool since I went electric-powered.

I couldn't find any other easy ways of removing weight, but all that took out a few pounds.

Happy flying!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funtana 125 CF wing tube. Just cut for length. Wrap the tube where you cut it with masking tape before cutting to avoid splintering the end. This alone saves about 8 ounces if I recall.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-arf-HAN475011

Edit: Missed your post above, I was a bit slow on the draw this morning.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Super08

BTW I sold mine to a good friend in the end of Sept. He had a bit of an incident with it two weeks ago......

The only mods I did when I built it was to reinforce the gear mount with some hardwood tri stock and to use a Funtana CF wing tube. The gear held and the wing tube is still OK. He got too low doing a KE pass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37676.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1689844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92619.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1689845  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
wyo69cowboy

Holy yard sale! ouch

I used the Funtana carbon tube; it does save about 8oz. Just got a set of those Graphtech gear for mine; haven't weighed the difference there yet...
I would also recommend a smaller fuel tank than stock if you go 50cc gas; stocker is waay too big and will get you 30 minute flights on a DLE55. I built a Fiji bottle tank for mine; see the F l y i n g G i a n t s website for details on that, ad nauseum lol.

These mods here will get you to about 16-16.5lbs, which is very good for the wing area on this plane!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM
poundkey

Super08, it looks like the new owner took your signature literally. He completed the break in!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Super08

LOL
Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

Has anyone had any issues with the nylon wing bolts backing out after a flight? Mine have been doing that after every flight. Is there a fix or alternative for this?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM
mustang11

I have had the same problem, i took some thin CA and coated the plywood plates the heads of the screws tighten up against. That helped a bunch......... Plus i now put them in TIGHT, as tight as i can get them by hand. Between the two I've not had those screws back out since, and I typically fly six to eight flights a session.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 PM
kochj

Great planes is Discontinuing the reactor 160 50cc plane.
They are selling out the wings, have already discontinued the stabs & Rudder.

Apperently the inactivity on the forum has lead to decreasing sales...
I couldn't believe that they did away with the B25 bomber ( top flite is basically Great planes/hobbico ect()...

They did the same with the Ultimate biplane...
apparently if the price isn't 600$ and it doesn't include TI links, and Carbon landing gear, it isn't any good?
Any how..

Makes perfect sence right?

Last edited by kochj; 12-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 AM
mustang11

I'm not sure what GP is thinking, other than to raise their prices lol......
I got really lucky and snagged probably the last B25 several months ago, a scratch and dent at that.

The Reactor is my go-to bird when i want to just fly, and not have to 'work' at it if that makes any sense.
Hmmmmmmm maybe it's time to just buy an extra airframe that I'll let sit until i wear this one out - 250+ flights and she's still going strong.

yeah, makes PERFECT sense............
Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I got a set of wings in good condition w/ a carbon fiber wing tube if anyone is in need. The rest of the plane is pretty much a loss.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM
JoeMamma

Originally Posted by kochj
Great planes is Discontinuing the reactor 160 50cc plane.
Hi kochj,

For months I have been trying to make up my mind between the 50cc Great Planes Revolver and the 50cc Great Planes Reactor.

I made the decision to get the 50cc Reactor and then saw your post. Just curious about where you got your info about it being discontinued ??

I'm planning on using a DLE 55cc in it.

Joe M.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM
soinks
My Feedback: (29)

Default Reactor 160 wings and tube

ZX32 tt Do u still have the wings and tube if so what do u want for them? Will u let me know please.

Thanks Soinks

Last edited by soinks; 01-06-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add person's name
Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
soinks

poundkey I know you posted about splitting the ailerons a while back but can you tell me how much you split the ailerons. I'd appreciate any info that you can give me.

Thanks Soinks

Last edited by soinks; 01-06-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add person's name
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM
zx32tt

The wings are complete with a carbon joiner tube,and the original tube. and I think I have the fiber glass sleeve that was in the fuselage. Control arms & pushrods are included too. One wing needs some minor repair to the center section. I'll do the repairs if need be. I can provide pictures if you are interested. Make me an offer.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 AM
soinks

I don't have a clue on which to offer u without insulting u
Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM
mustang11

well since a new set of wings is about $220 - link here - i'd imagine that would be a place to start thinking about an offer as a suggestion .........

again just a suggestion, not trying to pour gasoline onto a fire by any means. i've seen WAY too much of that over the years in too many forums.........
Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM
poundkey

Originally Posted by soinks
poundkey I know you posted about splitting the ailerons a while back but can you tell me how much you split the ailerons. I'd appreciate any info that you can give me.

Thanks Soinks
Soinks, I cut each aileron at one of the "ribs" closest to the center of the aileron. There's not a rib that truly bissects each aileron, so I chose the one that's closer to the fuselage; this helps keep the inboard and outboard aileron sections roughly the same amount of surface area (since they are tapered). I just took each aileron to a bandsaw and chopped it right down the middle of that rib. Then I lightly sanded the exposed wood and covered it with matching Monokote. The gap between the inboard and outboard aileron sections was about 3/32" when finished and installed on the wing.

I played around with the new mixing capabilities, but I never perfected it. I have since sold the airplane.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
JoeMamma

I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a Reactor. I started to make up a list of what's needed to complete this model.

I was looking at the assembly manual (on-line) and noticed the ailerons use two servos each. I have put together quite a few large-scale models, but this will be my first one using more than one servo to control a single flying surface, so it looks like I'll be needing a little help.

I was concerned about aileron servo throws being equal and also about aileron servo start/stop positions.

I use Futaba equipment and would prefer to remain with the same brand. I was wondering if this is what I will be needing..........a Futaba MSA-10 Servo Synchronizer ? Do I need two of these to control the four ailerons or just one ?

Thanks,
Joe M.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
poundkey

JoeMamma,

Do you have enough channels and mixing capabilities on your transmitter to just set each servo individually? Or do you have digital servos that you can program? If so, that might be the simplest way of matching the servo throws without getting extra equipment.

Or you can chop each aileron in half like I did! Then each surface has only one servo!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 AM
JoeMamma

Originally Posted by poundkey
JoeMamma,

Do you have enough channels and mixing capabilities on your transmitter to just set each servo individually? Or do you have digital servos that you can program? If so, that might be the simplest way of matching the servo throws without getting extra equipment.

Or you can chop each aileron in half like I did! Then each surface has only one servo!
Thanks !

I'm planning on using my Futaba 10C radio. As I mentioned, this will be my first model using multiple servos on a single flying surface, so I guess I'll need to read the 10C manual. I'll need to determine if I can link two servos to one flying surface and also have completely separate control of each servo. I guess my next question would be; if my radio can handle this kind of mix, why would I even need the Futaba MSA-10 Servo Synchronizer ? Is this Synchronizer used just for lower end radios ? Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is a Synchronizer used for ?

Flaps ? My favorite flap equipped model is my 80" Great Planes Big Stik. Another favorite is my Hangar 9 Ultra Stik. Drop down the flaps and you can slow them down to a crawl. Love 'em !

I'll take a look at mods needed for flaps on the Reactor. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks Again,
Joe M.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
soinks

zx32tt I would like to see some pics of the wings when you get the chance. you can email me them if you don't mind.

Thanks Soinks
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM
poundkey

JoeMamma,

I also use a Futaba 10C radio for my 35% airplane that uses two servos per aileron. You can just plug one servo into Channel 1 (aileron) and the three remaining servos into unassigned channels (maybe Channels 5, 6, and 7, for example). Create three program mixes to slave each of the three servos to Channel 1. You can adjust the endpoints and throws for each of those three channels so that they match. There are other ways to achieve the same thing in the 10C -- you could use only three separate channels with two program mixes, etc.

Since you might have to do the same thing for the elevator servos (slave one side to the other), you might need a receiver with more than 7 channels.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM
JoeMamma

Originally Posted by poundkey
JoeMamma,

I also use a Futaba 10C radio for my 35% airplane that uses two servos per aileron. You can just plug one servo into Channel 1 (aileron) and the three remaining servos into unassigned channels (maybe Channels 5, 6, and 7, for example). Create three program mixes to slave each of the three servos to Channel 1. You can adjust the endpoints and throws for each of those three channels so that they match. There are other ways to achieve the same thing in the 10C -- you could use only three separate channels with two program mixes, etc.

Since you might have to do the same thing for the elevator servos (slave one side to the other), you might need a receiver with more than 7 channels.
Thanks.

Just ordered my Reactor. Should be here next week. I'm planning on using a new DLE 55 I already have. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that JTEC makes a muffler specifically for the big Reactor when using a DA 50 or DLE 55. Got to give JTEC a call. Also planning on using the lightweight Hangar 9 Funtana carbon wing tube.

Now I've got to grab my 10C radio, my 10C manual, a Futaba 6008 8-channel receiver and 4 servos and sit down and figure the programming and mixes.

If I can program four independent servos on my 10C Futaba, do you know what the Futaba MSA-10 Servo Synchronizer is used for ??

Thanks Again,
Joe M.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
zx32tt

Originally Posted by soinks
zx32tt I would like to see some pics of the wings when you get the chance. you can email me them if you don't mind.

Thanks Soinks
p.m. me your home e-mail address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.