Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Difference between Pattern & 3D?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Difference between Pattern & 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Sojourner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Pattern & 3D?

I've been reading this forum for a few months, and I notice that some people ask about Pattern, others about 3D. What is the difference? and what are the differences in the airplanes? Will a Kaos setup properly do 3D?

Thanks,
Soj
Old 10-15-2002, 03:24 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Simplisticly:
Pattern is centered on precise, large maneuvers... loops over 60 ft high... sometimes over 150 ft high, perfectly round.

3D is centered on quick, small maneuvers, loops over 30 ft dia being considered HUGE.

Pattern takes up the whole flying site. 3D can all be done over the runway.

The Kaos is designed for the old center stage Pattern competition style, and has too high a wing loading for decent 3D. The wing is also too thin.. not enough drag for a lot of 3D stuff, and the control surfaces are too small for the abrupt maneuvers needed for 3D. However, the Kaos is still competitive for Sportsman and Intermediate AMA Pattern competition... (not bad for an appx 25 yr old design...)
Old 11-05-2002, 04:21 PM
RC Precision

Modern pattern flying is best describe as the execution of geometric shapes combine with rolling and snapping elements executed on demand in the center zone or at the left and right extent of an aerobatic zone (aka box). The three key elements to judging/flying pattern sequences are: smoothness, positioning and geometry. Go to www.NSRCA.org for more details.

3D is the execution of maneuvers involving an aircraft tumbling spinning and rotating simultaneously. Or perhaps hovering and rotating simultaneously. These maneuvers are done more at will, and do not start and finish on the same track or in a predefined aerobatic zone. Sometimes they are choreographed to music. Judging is subjective based. Go to http://www.franknolljr.com/ for more details.

Both require skill and lots of practice to do well. Each requires aircraft that possess specific design parameters with and ideal power to weight performance and wing loading. Competitive pattern airframes cannot exceed 2 meters (78.5") in fuse length and wingspan and 5 kilos (11lbs) in weight. 3D aircraft run the gambit in size from small to giant scale and are weight limited by current AMA regulations.

Yes, a properly powered constructed pattern aircraft (Kaos included) can perform 3D type maneuvers. To prove this, view the movie clips on my web site (link at bottom of page) of a 2meter pattern aircraft performing a torque roll, waterfall and other high alpha stuff during an exhibition flight at the 2002 Nationals.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Joe Hunt
My Feedback: (4)

<hr>Originally posted by: Sojourner
I've been reading this forum for a few months, and I notice that some people ask about Pattern, others about 3D. What is the difference?<hr>

Fun versus no fun. LOL

Old 11-22-2002, 10:05 AM
PatternLady

Fun Vs No Fun?

I happen to have a lot of fun flying pattern. Some people do not like the dicpline of Pattern.

It is really up to each person, a lot of people fly both, Chip Hyde, Quique Somenzini, Jason Schuleman.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Joe Hunt
My Feedback: (4)

I was just being a wise apple. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I love a challenge, and I'm challenged by both. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2002, 06:01 PM
3dbatixkid

Joes good at bein a wise apple! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Pattern is too, i dunno, i guess slow for me. I just like IMAC for the fact that there is a club of full scale planes that flies a similar pattern.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:47 PM
PatternLady

Thats OK, my husband thinks that Pattern is too much like golf. The only time he had fun was when he was a scribe and saw 2 new 2 meter planes colide.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Xavier Mouraux

I have flown mainly pattern for the last 4 years but I do 1 or 2 imac contest every year when there is no conflict. I love the way my pattern planes fly. I don't fight them. My 25% Cap is a good plane but doesn't fly near as well. It is not as stable, the wind has more effect on it etc. They are about the wingspan and weight.
I can't see me build a 100in wingspan plane just to get the same behavior. The room it would take and the cost cannot be justified for me. There is also a lot of different models to choose from in pattern. You are not limited to Cap, Extra, Sukkoi, Edge etc. You could be competitive in the first 3 classed with a 90 size plane if you practice properly. Even if you go to the 140 size plane, you will need only 5 or 6 servos, 1 batterie pack, a motor that could cost about 300$. It's not bad.
Don't forget that Imac is not 3D. The only 3D in Imac is the freestyle and even then, is can't be done below a minimum altitude. What you see at the TOC or in some website and magazine is not Imac. Real 3D could also be done with a 40 size plane like the Madness. I could touch the tail anytime, hover until it runs dry, fly very slow, etc. And the complete plane is about 800$. I am not broked if I destroi it. It is so light that you would need a big crash to destroi it anyway.
I will be building a new pattern plane next year and I know it will be equivalent of anyone at the world level, and I could pay for it. On the other end, I cannot pay for a TOC plane (or I don't want to pay for it)
It's a very personnal question.

Xavier
http://xavier-avion-rc.freeservers.com/