Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

71" Peakmodel Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

71" Peakmodel Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
lovefool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 71" Peakmodel Yak 54

Hi all,
I have ordered Peak 25%YAK54-B with MLD28 combo, Hawk18x8 prop and 3"spinner last week. It already had shipped from Chaina via EMS (air) and now getting through custom of Narita airport. It will show up in a day or two. I didn't expect this quick delivery, this will be just in time for Xmas...

Hope you all guy's have a nice holiday season !
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
squeaky penguin

I hope you enjoy yours. They seem to be fairly good planes for the price. As for mine, the engine never got fully broken-in and now the ski area's reporting over 100" of snow, unfortunately I think mine isn't going to be doing anything until spring.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:41 PM
OCR99
My Feedback: (3)

What is the length of servo arm everyone is using, i am building one everything looks good so far.

Rick
Old 12-27-2008, 03:20 PM
squeaky penguin

Rick,

I'm using the longest Dubro Super Arms, 1.5", on Ailerons and Elevator and getting maximun deflection. As for the Rudder, I have a 2.5" Great Planes aluminum arm on now, but will probably get a 3" to get a little more deflection.

Hope this helps, Brett
Old 12-27-2008, 11:32 PM
OCR99

Thanks i take it your going to last holes

Rick
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM
squeaky penguin

Rick,

Yes everything is on the last holes. Also, the end on the contol surface is most of the way up the screw as well.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 AM
dannyd86

I was wondering if there are replacement parts such as fuse, wing, elevator, rudder for this ARF?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM
helodrvr
My Feedback: (88)

Guys,

Just received my Peak Model 25% YAK-B 54 / MLD28 combo. Took about 8 days to receive (2-3 days for peak to actually ship, the rest was transit time).

Packing was ok. It was kinda doubled boxed. The outer box was nice, but the inner only had the bottom of the box and everything was just wrapped in tape (alot of tape). Lukily the only damage i have found is one of the mounting tabs for the engine cowl is loose.

Overall the plane looks nice and seems to be well constructed ( I would hit some of the joints with CA or epoxy, seems to be a little light in some areas).

The supplied hardware seem to be nice.

Everything seems to fit nicely (two piece landing gear was a little tough getting into fuselage).

Some issues found so far:

1. No instructions. Downloaded from peak website.

2. The canopy/hatch is painted, which is fine , but is is about four shades of white different from the covering. White portion of the engine cowl is also a different color white.

3. Wing anti-rotation pin was pushed flush with the wing. Was able to repostion it easily. Not one of the four pins had any kind of adhesive on them.

4. The biggest issue so far has been the wheel spats/pant. They are a one piece fiberglass spat, which by the manual has changed. Looks like on the original design, you had to use self taping screws and attached the mounting bracket to the spat, then attach the spat to the gear leg. The new design being one peice, the mounting bracket is part of the spat mold. You are supplied with 4 bolts and locknuts to attach the spat, but they didnt take into account the thickness of the new mounting bracket. The bolts are approximately 1/4 to 3/8 to short. Because of the added thickness of the mount, the threaded portion of the wheel axle is also to short. I am only able to get 3-4 turns of the locknut on the axle before it hits fiberglass.

5. The airplane has provisions to mount two elevator servo's, but you are only supplied one control horn and rod.

MLD28 was packed in a foam box, well protected. Engine looked really nice. I have decided to sell the engine and go with the new CRRC 40, should have real good power. It is about 6oz lighter than the SPE 43, which peak was also selling with this plane as a combo.

Attached is a weight sheet. Everything in the box was weighed to include the MLD 28. My plane was about 5.86 lbs before electrics, 5.5 if you take away the glow engine mount and hardware. By my calculations the MLD28 should be around 10.2 - 10.4 lbs minus fuel. I also figured it with an O.S. 1.60 and it was about 0.1 ounces heavier.

Hope she fly's well.

Clarence
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gd93936.pdf (136.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
davidj

Clarence

Everything you discribe above with your yak was the same with my TLT or ARF-MFG 70". I measured the wing span and it is closer to 71" than 70". They Fly great
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
helodrvr
My Feedback: (88)

David,

glad to hear it fly's well. I'm still a couple weeks from flying her. I assume from your response you had the same problems with the spats. What about the color difference?

Clarence
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

We have one from Cermark with an MLD28 for a review. So far so good. Test flew it yesterday and was impressed with the engine (my primary plank....err...fixed wing plane....is a EF 74" w/ Brilleli 46) considering we went ahead and flew it after 3 tanks since it seemed pretty strong.

It was very windy, 20+ so I don't think it's fair to give much opinion on the flight characteristics but it handled the wind well and 2 shakedown flights went off w/o a hitch. Look for a full article with photos and video in a few weeks.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, I crashed my old yak (QQ 69") and looking for another Yak for my YS 1.10S.

If I used the one servo for the elevator, light battery pack (around 5-6 oz), futaba Fasst rx

What do you think the flying weight would be?

Do you think the YS 1.10s would fly it well?

The QQ Yak was around 8.5lbs dry. Can this airframe come in just under 10lbs?

The YS weighs 27oz.

thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
squeaky penguin

Well, its been a long time since I posted here so I'll bring everybody up to date on my project. My Yak has been sitting doing almost nothing for the winter. The weather has been warming a little here (now it will sometimes get above freezing) and I thought i'd fire it up. I believe everything is ready to go and I might madien her fairly soon. There is still several feet of snow on my field so no hopes of flying off grass for a least a month, but I had some skis I threw on it. The skis are a little small so we'll see if they work. When I do madien her I'll be sure to post about it and maybe even include a video.

By the way I know people had asked and I never got around to it, but according to my fish scale my dry weight is almost exactly 11lbs with the SPE 43cc. I've got 2 Futaba 3305's on the elevator, a Hobbico CS-150 on the Rudder, Hitec HS-645mg on alierons, and Futaba 3004's on throttle and choke. I've got 6V 1700mah NI-MH packs for the reciever and the ignition.

noahb, I bet you could get it to come in around or under 10lbs. With the extra weight of my gasser and the igniton and igniton battery I'm at 11lbs, so I could see it with the glow engine getting down to that weight,

Brett
Old 03-13-2009, 05:18 PM
squeaky penguin

I got the madien done today. The engine was running very rich, its only had about a gallon though, but was running fine. The plane flys smooth and steady. Takeoff's were smooth and landings were quite easy. As with most madiens, all I really did was fly around in circles. When the engine gets fully broken in and I get more use to this plane I'll see what I can do with it.

Here's a video of the first few flights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReLETAjLHI

When I do start doing more with it, I'll see if can get some more vidoes.

Brett
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM
lovefool

Brett,
Congrats on your maiden flight, and thanks for your information.
It's amazing you were flying in the snow field with T-shirts. I bet she was so hot with SPE43.

Jay.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Paul Wise

Crazy man! Cool!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
squeaky penguin

It is kind of funny but if you haven't been to Colorado you don't know. It was about 30 degrees today but with the sun out I can be out in a t-shirt and be plently warm and even get a little hot. The Yak had no lack of power, but it will definitly get better when the engine gets fully broken in and I lean it out.

Brett
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
squeaky penguin

Unforutnatly my Yak had an unexpectedly short lifespan. I guess I underestimated how much more power 7 servos would draw and I lost battery power on the second day I had it out. The front end up to about the wing tube is completly destroyed, there's no chance of fixing this one. Well, the hardest way to learn is always the best way to learn (and sometimes the most expensive) so next time I'll go with a Li-Po and a regulator for a plane this big. I don't have any money right now so I can't get a replacement for a while, in the meantime I'll have to decide if I want to buy another, or get a different plane. I like the way this one flew, even with the 43 it didn't seem to heavy on the wings. I tried some snap rolls, hovers, and flat spins and they were all nice and smooth. If any one needs any parts the left wing is perfect, the right wing had just a tiny bit of damage, and the rudder, landing gear, and horizontal stab and elevator are all in perfect shape, I would be willing to part with them for probably just the price of shipping.

Brett
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74072.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1159555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21133.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1159556  
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
lovefool

Brett ~~~!!!!

Sorry to hear your YAK had crashed. It was too short. One of my friends bought 30%Yak (DA-50) of same coloring, and his plane had crashed in a short life as well. The problem was YAK has a same coloring of front and back, and he lost its attitude during 3D manuvers.

I have been using NiCd 1500mAh-4cell for the other gasser (90 class YAK54 with BT-24EIS) with 6 high torque coreless servos (futaba 9255), and I didn't have any problem of lost power for 4 flights. This time, I have just placed an order 2200mAh-2s Lipo and will buy 5V/10A regulator for my peakmodel YAK54. That is for lighten the plane.

I wish I can get your parts, but I am afraind the shipping cost to Japan will be way high.

Jay.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

I became an owner of one of these. Ordered on Monday and received on Saturday. Not bad all the way from China.

Hope I enjoy it as much as I did my Extreme Flight 74" Yak. I'm going to move everything from that plane into this one.

Kerry
Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM
OCR99

I bougtht the yak a little while ago i noticed the blocks where control horns go on the ailerons they are only about 1/3 of the thickness of the ailerons is that normal?

Rick
Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
lovefool

Rick,
I have just started building my YAK, and notice the same ....

One of my freinds mentioned the connection point of fuse to LG is not strong enough. Any idea for reinforce the fuse?
Also I am wondering if any modification is recommended.

Jay.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Wingspam

Well I just bit the bullet and ordered one of these for my self. I chose the orange and white color scheme with the 43cc. I placed my order on March 27th, I received my notice of shipping on April 2nd. Lets hope it gets here by this next weekend.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
RJetss

Nice combo. I too ordered the orange and white with the SPE 43. I got it before Christmas but been doing a build during the winter months. I started last night checking the plane out. I'm wondering after starting to install my wing servos hooking up my hardware, where the hard points are to install my horns for servo arms. Any you guys came accross this. I held wing up to the light and see what appears to me a brace underneather the monokote, but only on one have the wing. (The top half.) Bottom I don't see nothing. Where are you guys drilling? I haven't gotten my controll arms yet but will be getting 1.5" and taping them out to 4-40. A 3" controll for my pull pull will be good as well. Seems like alot of the hardware is there already. I'll have to go over everything.
Unlucky for you squeaky with yours. Sorry to hear your mishap. I checked your video out, nice.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
OCR99

I have same plane and found same thing.I drilled thought solid part on bottom put bolt down though monocoat the solid part seems to maybe 1/2-5/8 inch thick only i hope it is going to be ok i haven't flown it yet i was thinking about emailing peak but i havent.

Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.