Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

rtn9105...

Man, sorry to hear about and see your bad luck. I've never taped a receiver crystal in. Until now. Thanks for the tip.

Hope you go for another one. I've crashed many and I think...you know, I've flown that plane a bunch maybe it's time to move on to something else. Everytime I do I always say...I liked the UCD better so I get it again. I guess I'll always have the UCD family.

thanks
Barry
Old 07-04-2006, 01:33 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

rtn9105..... Sorry about your mishap... Gotta get another???? I have heard about taping
the crystal, but I also have never done so.. But I do foam rubber band my reciever which
I guess does the same thing in holding the crystal in place... Another good tip for persons
useing a servo reverser... Tape/wire tie the reverser itself somewhere or it'll pull out of
the rec... I seen this happen to a good pilot on his plane on the flt after the maiden[:@]

Anyhow sorry rtn9105!!!..... But one thing.... You do it right when you do it......
Old 07-04-2006, 04:19 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Thanks for the kind words guys and yes I will defiantly get another DO. I can honestly say that it's the only plane I've flown that puts a smile on my face everytime I fly it.
I have a new Saito 100 that I was planning to picking up a OMP kat70 for but now I'm thinking maybe getting the UCD 60 for that engine. I haven't seen the 60 size fly but I have to believe it's as good as the 46.
Can any of you guys tell me if it tumbles and does all the flippy floppy stuff as well as the 46?

raideron, I think I laughed for 5 minutes after reading your last comment. Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Barry Cazier

rtn9105...

You asked about the 60. I have them all. The 60 is my favorite. I like it even better than the 46. It will do anything the 46 will do and is a little easier to see, will KE better, and will handle the wind better. I used the Saito 100 for over a year. I thought it was the perfect engine...until I tried the mighty 110. Wow...what a difference. It made this plane do everything better. Wow!!!!! It is such a perfect combination. I love it. Another acceptable engine would be the Saito 125. The 60 size needs the power to make those waterfalls snap, hover with ease, and power those rising flat spins. I think you would love the plane with the 100...but you'll never love any plane more, EVER!, with the 110. It's that good. Same cautions as the 46. Be careful with the landing gear (although I haven't even reinforced it on my latest one, I just land it soft) and THROTTLE MANAGEMENT!

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rtn9105.... im the proud owner of both the ucd 46 and 60 size and i do agree with Barry about one thing, both these Do's are the funest planes ive had but i like the 46 better, for me(may be my elevation) but the 46 does all the above mentioned manuvers better, and i would put the 100 in the 46, it is NOT overpowered but powered just rightafter flying my 60 size for a few months and now flying my 46 for only 4 times this weekend and flying like i did before the big CRASH, im sure i like the 46 the best now

if you do go with the 60 size you will not be disappointed because it is also a great plane, but i agree with barry on this one also, i had the 100 in the60 size and its not the engine for the 60, the saito 125 or the ys 110 are the best engines for it

good luck and get that next plane and let us know how it goes!!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Barry Cazier

I probably don't have "enough" power on my 46. It was my favorite until I put the 110 on the 60. Maybe if I put my 100 on the 46 I'd like it even better. Why didn't I think of that?

Either way...The UCDs are the best in my book.

My grandson stepped on my Velox stabilizer and broke it off. Now I gotta get a new grand son...

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
raideron

rtn9105.... Glad you got my reason for that statement.... :-)... In this hobby... You
have to know "something" will happen.... They all have expiration dates on them!!
Be it by dumb thumbs, or some kind of equipment problems..... But, fly and it will
happen.... All we can do is learn form the mishap, To enjoy this great hobby even
more....
Old 07-04-2006, 11:48 PM
rclement

rtn9105, Sorry for your loss. What a shame to see a U Can Do in a pile like that. Yikes!
I've never taped my crystals in since I usually put foam rubber around them. Again, sorry for your loss.

I had a loss today too. I went to maiden the Mayhem today and it crashed. Not too bad though but enough to really bum me out. What happened was that I took off and banked to the left and when I got to the other side of the flying area it started glitching like crazy and I didn't have as much control. I managed to swing it back towards the runway and before I could set up to land it started glitching again and banked over hit the ground. It was kind of at an angle and the grass out there was about 3 ft. tall so that softened it some. The crash broke up the cowl some and caved in the top of the fuse aft of the cowl. It's fixable, except for the cowl. I did a range check when I brought it in and it glitched badly. The bad thing is that I didn't do a range check before I flew it. I think the reason for that is that there was so many things going on at the field and people asking me when I was going to fly it that I just got too distracted and rushed. When I got home tonight I pulled the crystal and put one in from the U Can Do and it still glitched. Then I attatched new RX from another plane and set it up the same way as the first one and it works fine now. So I think that the Futaba RX that I got from Tower is junk. I'll have to check tomorrow and see what they can do.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 AM
rtn9105

rclement, sorry that you had problems with your Mayhem on the maiden flight, it always hurts a little more when the plane is brand new.
Yeah the pile is kind of sad to look at but it doesn't compare to the amount of enjoyment I got out of the plane so I guess I'll call it even.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Blisster

Hey rtn9105,

Looks like your elevators weathered that "hard landing" just fine! Just get out the glue and.... OK, maybe the glue won't be quite enough, but...as they said, you did it right! No half-assed crashes around here! Sorry about your "Do"! It will be a sad day when mine meets the same fate. I am however delighted to hear how well it has served you over the years, it did pretty good for some balsa slivers, glue and covering! The only advice I would give is not to beat yourself up over the crystal, it might have been "let go" in the crash and something else may have brought it down. Get you another one and fly it for 3 more years! There's always something lurking around, waiting to do in our toys. Plus, in the end, as you (amongst others, of course) have again demonstrated something for all of us in the thread.... Gravity, it's the law!

"Can you do that again?"
Rob AKA Blisster
Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Barry Cazier

rclement....

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your Mayhem. That stinks. And on the maiden flight. Sorry.

I crashed a trainer I had put together once on the 1st flight. That hurts. I also carshed a 46 on the 4th flight. Just stupidity on my part both times. It doesn't make for a happy day.

Doesn't sound like you even got a chance to feel what the plane was like. Bummer. Hopefully you can get it back together. It's a very nice plane.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
rtn9105

Well I went to the lhs this morning to pick up a new plane. I was really torn between the UCD 60 and an OMP kat70 V2. In the end the profile won out and I'll be putting my Saito 100 on it. Hopefully I'll have it ready for a maiden by the weekend.

BTW I will be getting another UCD, I just had to give the profile a try.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM
raideron

Rob..... Sorry about your Mayhem..... Sounds like an easy repair, the cowl
shouldn't be too much... It'll be let new.. And I bet she'll fly better!!
MMmmmmm...... Mayhem...... Something about that name...
Sometimes things get a little hectic, which can/will cause problems... But we
all learn from them... I always range check, at home and at the field engine
on/off for a maiden... And I try to remember to range check every fourth time
out.... But you know how that goes

rtn9105... You'll like that Profile, And they'll do everything in the book and take
a "bit" more abuse.. That 100 should go well on it!!.. I almost got one for mine.
I still "maybe" will fix my 46 V2.. But it's still laying on the floor... Lately I don't
know why... But the E.F. site has been on my computer and the 540T profile
keeps telling me how good a fit it would be for my YS 63.... MMMmmmmm

Well, I had a good short morning... Man this heat is getting to me.. two flts on
my SPAD trying a couple different props and 3 on the "Do"... But I was outta
there by 7am.....

Got my intake stacks... I'm a bit disappointed, I thought they would be a bit taller...
Guess I'll see if it helps keeping it cleaner??????? It sure was messy when I went
to install it after getting back..... ANyway cleaned and checked all, adjusted the
valves and I'll see how it does on Fri/Sat.... Ohh going to a 13X4W.... I'm wanting
more power.... Not sure if it's the heat, or the S-100 calling for a home.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87196.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	487872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31823.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	487873  
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Barry Cazier

Old 07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Barry Cazier

Name:	Wt59402.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	487913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38544.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	487914  
Old 07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
rclement

Barry, Is that a recent picture? What happened?
Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Barry Cazier

rclement....

Yes, noon today. Textbook flatspin landing. Engine quit when I went to power up. Obviously I waited too long to pull it out without any power.

This is just one happening in a long list of things that makes me question why I'm in this stupid hobby. Everytime I get going a long pretty well, this happens. I think this is the 13th totaled plane for me. Very discouraging.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-06-2006, 03:19 PM
raideron

WoW... Barry.... Sorry about that!!!!...... Man, You and Rob......

It's The Name I tell You.......

Don't like talking about a "Persons" Mishap... But rtn9105.. Seems to do it a bit better...

OK, I better drop this before I get in trouble.....

My "Do" S-82 almost did it this morning coming out of a flat spin and so did the Showtime,
well it was from a blender to the F. S... But I also noticed it just in the F.S.'s, where the
engine seems to hesitate a bit longer before it throttles up... It's kinda scary, more so
since the plane is just floating, unflying like downward..........

Again... Sorry Barry... Rob.....
Old 07-07-2006, 01:25 PM
rtn9105

Barry, sorry about the plane. It's easy for us to tell you on here not to get discouraged but much harder for you not to feel that way when these things happen. Hopefully there's far more good times with this hobby than bad times like this to help balance it out for you.

raideron, That way I didn't have to even consider trying to fix it.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

rclement....

Yes, noon today. Textbook flatspin landing. Engine quit when I went to power up. Obviously I waited too long to pull it out without any power.

This is just one happening in a long list of things that makes me question why I'm in this stupid hobby. Everytime I get going a long pretty well, this happens. I think this is the 13th totaled plane for me. Very discouraging.

Thanks
Barry
Barry, Sorry to see that. I'm sure you are an awesome flyer and fly on the edge to continually improve. That makes us somewhat vulnerable to stuff like this. Hang in there! It'll get better......[8D]
Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
gjeffers

Man, sorry to hear about all the bad things, i was almost ready to take another plane out today and fly them and not chance my new Do[]

but i braved it anyways and glad i did, got in 7 great flights so everyone can relax, cause if there were any jinxs left i just got rid of them

Have fun guys!!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 AM
gjeffers

were catching the EFYak thread which is at 5255 and i think there stagnate, so we will be #1 (i think) in not long
Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Barry Cazier

Guys...

Thanks for the kind words also. I'm just getting tired of needing them.

Gjeffers...

I noticed we're catching the Yak guys too. That would be neat if we could pass them.

This is clearly the best thread out there. Much to be learned, yet the people are civil and nice. I don't know where you could interact with better people.

Anyways....keep posting.

Thansk
Barry
Old 07-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Barry Cazier

On a positive note...

I still have all 3 of my UCDs flyable. I keep maintaining the 60 size as it seems to come apart in the tail often. Maybe I need flying wires. I'm searching for a different engine on the Giant. (maybe I'll go DA50) But these remain my favorite planes even though I dabble in other venues.

Gjeffers...

Congratulations on maidening your new 46. Glad you did ok with it. Does it fly as good as your last one? Better?

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
gjeffers

it flys pretty much just as fantastic as i remember really great!!!! it does seam a lot more tail heavy than #1, i had my batt just aft the rear hatch former(first hole on bottom), but this one i had to put it right behind the fuel tank w/rx and im still at 5.75, which is really better

i also had problems with my tail on the 60[&:](i mean ucds tail) i ended up just epoxing it all in real good and that was that so far[8D] and as far as tail wires,,,,well as i looked at the way the vert stab and the hor stab lined up i gave right up on that idea[:@]

good to hear your doing ok, we all do know that feeling[:'(]

this might help

Name:	Ay74990.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	488989  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.