Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Grrrrrumpy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

I'm using a SK .80 two stroke which works well but I'm at 600 feet above sea level.
Kangke sells these engines. They are at the following website.
http://www.atsrcplanes.com/skengines.htm
They have a .90 for $99.77, the .80 for $89.77

My .80 engine calls for a 13x6 prop... I'm using a wide 14x4 APC, you need torque, not speed.
Mine will pull out of a hover nicely, but not excessively fast. I've seen IMAC planes accelerate
faster out of a hover. You may want to go with the .90 at your altitude.
The U-Can-Do is designed for 3d with these large control surfaces. Do not fly it fast.

The rudder doesnt need a real high torque servo if you use a 5 cell receiver pack.
Since I'm using a 2 stroke, I put rudder servo under the wing & use a pull-pull system since my engine is lighter.
I did not add any weight. Forget the cowl, mount the engine upright & you will save yourself alot of headaches.

Also, sheet the fuselage on the inside with very light plywood (like 1/32 inch) in the wing area. This is a weak point.
I've had to replace my fuselage.
This is a great flying plane that can be flown very slowly in a high alpha position. Do not fly it high speed.
I've done a parachute, had the plane snap to level flight & had the engine continue on to the ground.
I've done an elevator all the way to the ground... this is hard on the fuse & causes the fuse to break at the wing.

For landing, my tail seems to hang down so I burb the throttle a couple of times to keep the speed up and the tail up,
it's easier to fly it down to the ground than trying for that perfect 3 point landing.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Saito .82. Nuff said.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Rob, Barry, and guys, i just tried out my snow skis on my 60 size and man what a blast, here in my new enviroment in Nevada we finally got enough snow to go out and it was great, they didnt hinder the flight caricteristics hardly at all (just made my flatspin a little wobblie. great day though
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61742.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	845083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52881.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	845084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74179.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	845085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49811.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	845086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19708.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	845087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67988.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	845088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56760.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	845089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72443.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	845090  

Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
airstik2003

today it is 65 degrees but rainy
tomarrow it will be 70[8D] and rainy
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Gary...That's awesome?????!!!!! You inspire me. Maybe I'll have to try that. I have a couple of friends that fly off snow, but I'm afraid of the cold.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your right about the cold Barry, but it was a nice day....34 deg but the sun was out and the wind was not
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

35 and snow-rain here. Yuk! [&o]
Was flying my 60 recently and when I landed and was taxiing back and my friend almost landed on my Do with his Do. I guess that would have been a "Do wack a Do". [X(]
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Rocketman_

Boston MA, a place where 4 degree weather is not uncommon, set a record at 67 degrees today. That was 3 deg higher than a record set way back in 1930. I took the UCD 46 out but all those degrees went to waste because the ground was still covered everywhere with wet heavy snow. I just sat out in the sun having ridiculous thoughts like "why don't I hand launch it". I didn't. I came home.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Tiroloco

Hello, I will try my 2nd UCD 46, however, the old one (retired after 625 flights!) I used to fly it with the CG at 6" after, just want to know about your experiences, which is the best CG you´ve tried with this plane.
I have an O.S. 91 Surpass II pumped modified by me, hands down more powerfull than Saito 100 with an APC 15X4W prop.
DO you think I should modify the engine incidence and / or thrust angle?

Have my best regards.

Ricardo
Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Tiroloco

this thread seems to be dead now!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM
danny_isr

why dead ?

i broke my landing gear first time a week ago. first "not perfect" landing and they just came off. when i looked into it seems that there wanst much glue there. so i put them back with 30 min epoxy
and 3 screws . i hope that works. what you guys do about this problem ?

Going to replace my OS70 with Saito 91 , hope finally to see some real hovering.

very pleased with it in general . for the money it's really great.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM
jpartis

Hey guys.

I've been flying my Do for about 2 months now and have around 100 flights on it.

It's been in 3 minor crashes when I first started flying it, but I managed to fix the damage and recover back to its origonal luster fairly easily!

Just buy some monokote and an iron and the four colors and repair it over and over. No need to buy a new one!

I would like to thank everyone for all the good tips regarding the landing gear as I applied all to my Do and have NEVER had the gear come off.

Even in a VERY HARD BELLY FLOP. The gear actually splayed out quite a bit but did not come off or even crack the wood! All I had to do was bend them

back straight and keep on flying... What an AWESOME PLANE!!!!

Well, I thought I would just share what I did to my plane to give back some.

1. I first removed the landing gear block (1/2" thick)
2. Cutout a bigger landing gear block (1" thick) and installed with epoxy.
3. I pinned from the wing side all the way through with 2 drywall screws
4. I used a piece of fiberglass tape and epoxy to overlay from under the vent ramp, back to where the wing dowl hole is located.

It's proven to be VERY STRONG, and even held up in crashes.

This plane is so very easy to fly once you get used to it. I started out flying low rates, but braved up and started using the recommended high rates

and they are perfect! You just have to go very easy on the controls as they are fairly large compared to low rates.

Even when I take chances, it is still very very forgiving.

One thing I never do though, is fly with the throttle wide open.

I climb out with open throttle but imediately pull it back once I am straight and level. This is NOT A SPEED PLANE!

If you have the NEED for SPEED, then get another plane to fly to get this out of your system.

The Do is so much fun to fly because you can fly is SLOW, and it's so very light. It hovers itself with little effort and is very addictive to fly!

I've even flown mine in a drizzling rain and it loves it!

For those interested, I have an OS 55 AX installed and it is a just enough to have fun hovering etc.

I will say though that I have often wished that I had just a bit more power to pull out of a hover a little quicker but it is enough to get the job done.

One thing I love to do is while coming in for a landing is, never let the Do touch down, rather, just keep it inches above the runway all the way to the end

then blast it for another go. It just looks so cool and people are held in suspense, thinking your trying to land. There is NO reason to crash this plane

as you could go on forever just giving it a little juice to keep it floating above the runway until you feel its just right to land softly.

Take it easy on your Do! Its a sweet little gem that you should fly with respect so that it will bring you much joy and fun for a long time to come...

Sorry for the long post but its been a long time coming. I love this plane so much that I just had to share it with everyone.

Oh, I almost forgot. The prop I currently use is APC 13x4W. I tried a 14x4W and it worked but not as well as the 13x4W. Less RPMs and not as much

vertical. I also have a 13x5 nylon that I plan to try later. A guy at the RC shop told me it works great. I will try to come back and let you know how it

works later...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
rclement

Thanks for the post. It is a fun plane to fly and one that will bring lots of flying improvement. At one time I was the only one at the field that flew a Do. Now there are several and I've noticed that the guys that have them have really improved their flying skills. [8D] I'm flying the 60 now but I love them both.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
jpartis

rclement, how do you like the 60 size? I've been thinking about getting one as the designs are practically identical, just different size.
Also, what size engine do you have on your 60?

Yes, I am getting really good at doing 3D using with this plane and it always catches peoples attention when I come in flared & practically floating in like a butterfly. I guess they just don't expect to see such a slow and perfect 3-point landing like the Do can pull off. I've gotten plenty 'wows' and had people tell me 'that was an impressive landing'.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
airstik2003

satio 125 in the 60 size ucd you will love the combo
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Rocketman_

While I really like my two UCD 60's I believe that the UCD 46 is a better 3D flier and I'm wondering if anyone else who has flown both planes has the same impression.
At a glance they look the same but if you examine the picture closely you can see that the UCD 60 has it's stabilizer near the top of the fuselage and the UCD 46's stabilizer is lower and farther back on the fuselage. You can easily see the difference if you compare the stab leading edge with the vertical fin leading edge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80850.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	859996  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
airstik2003

i agree the little ucd is better at 3d
also if i remember...both of the wings have the same width
Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
jpartis

Hmmm, that means that the 46 size will float better since the wing is about the same width.
Thanks for the good info. I really love my 46 size...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Barry Cazier

I've always liked my 60 size better than the 46. Mostly I think it just handles the wind a little better. But I have a better power to weight ratio on my 60 than my 46. Certainly the 60 size is a great "floater" also. I love these UCDs. I've even had the Giant although only for 5 flights and I gave it away to friend Steve. I couldn't keep servos in it. I had an OS160 on that and it wasn't enough power up here in thin air. The UCDs to this day are some of my very favorite planes to fly. I love them. I like the 60 the best. Both will do inverted rising flat spine (my favortie maneuver) Not many planes will do that. My least favorite is KE and Harrier. I get a lot of coupling in KE and wing rock in Harrier. They do great waterfalls, hovers, flips, staircases, and flat spins. I just have a great time flying them.

If I want to KE or Harrier I fly something else.

Anyways, good to see this thread going strong. I've posted here before.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
airstik2003

hey barry

just reading the AMA magazine the static thrust artical and saw your name

Good Job!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Should I use one servo on the elevator and join it with a CF tube?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Barry Cazier

What?!?!?!

I heard they were doing an article but I haven't seen it. What issue?

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I mights well chime in here since Ive had both, just 1- .46, 4 -.60 & still flying the .60 even though I have 2 50cc planes & must admit that bigger is better, a lot easier to 3-d (if you have a good one that is). Thats why I sold the .46, it only did 3-d well on calm days, the .60 was a little better in wind, but not much. I was out this past weekend with the .60, it was only 36 degrees but light winds, just perfect for tail-touchin & huckin, I must have touched 6 times at least & hovered it within an arms length, I dont have to have a giant scale plane to feel the adreniline though, I still can enjoy the Do too. The 50cc planes I have are far superior to any glow plane I've had, the Double Vision & TOC Yak are just incredible, I will keep my Do until death do us part, it has been my mainstay for over 5 years, if you can huck a Do, you can huck a bigger & better plane with ease.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: jpartis

rclement, how do you like the 60 size? I've been thinking about getting one as the designs are practically identical, just different size.
Also, what size engine do you have on your 60?

Yes, I am getting really good at doing 3D using with this plane and it always catches peoples attention when I come in flared & practically floating in like a butterfly. I guess they just don't expect to see such a slow and perfect 3-point landing like the Do can pull off. I've gotten plenty 'wows' and had people tell me 'that was an impressive landing'.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I really like the 60 size plane. I hadn't planned on buying it but I got such a good deal on it I couldn't pass it up and my best flying buddy has one also so we fly them at the same time and it looks cool. Anyway, I put a Saito 125 on it and like that. It has plenty of pull to get out of trouble and I've found that by looping the fuel tube (to the carb) over the engine mount rail that it doesn't flood the engine while it's sitting there.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 AM
danny_isr

just lost mine today. in the 4th flight the battery died. i didn't fly it this winter more then 2 flights a day because of the cold weather ,But today we had over 70F . so i flew more.. i was too lazy to measure the battery and i paid for that.
that flight was great but then i started to feel like i'm on low rates. i checked the switch for hi/low and then i realize ...it's dieing on me. i tried to turn to the runway or ti idle throttle but no response.
it went in at mid/high speed.

now my dilema if to get the same again or go with something else.... any other option to consider before i'm buying the same plane again ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.