Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Beginning 3D planes from Tower

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Opinions on Beginning 3D planes from Tower

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:02 PM
EngineDesigner
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Beginning 3D planes from Tower

Using the planes offered thru Tower Hobbies, what is everyones opinion on a good beginning plane for all around 3d performance? Please list plane, engine, servo combinations.

Thanks in advance,
EngineDesigner
Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Opinions on Beginning 3D planes from Tower

The UCDs are excellent choices. Fun, easy to fly and will do anything 3D.
On the 46 size I use a Saito 82 w/ 14x4W APC prop. I use HS 5645 on the rudder and HS5625 on the elevators and ailerons or you can use HS645 on the ailerons if you want. I use a mini HS85 on the throttle. Great plane and one of the very few that will do a rising inverted flat spin.

On the 60 size, a Saito 125 will work or my personal favorite the YS 110 is even better. I use the same servos on this plane.

You won't be disappointed with either of these two planes, but I like the 60 size the best.
Good luck.
THanks
Barry
Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I've kind of been wondering the same thing. I've been spending a lot of time in RealFlight G4 with various models, seeing how they fly (I'm only assuming G4 is an accurate base of reference, as it's what I've been told by plenty of people). All the UCDs I've tried in G4 have been absolutely awful, they handle bizarrely and barely have enough power to pull out of a hover. Additionally I despise the way they look, but if it was actually some outstanding flying machine I could overlook that.

Now granted, I haven't actually flown any 3d in real life, and for all I know G4 could be completely inaccurate (though it seems to be spot on for planes similar to what I have been flying). I've had the most success flying the giant 1/3 scale models in the sim, though I know I'm not ready to drop that kind of cash on a plane. Does anyone have any model suggestions based on this

Edit: Oh, and I'm interested in all planes, not just what Tower has available.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
JustErik

If you are not averse to profile ships, check out the MoJo series at www.swanyshouse.com . They are widely believed to be the best 3D trainers out there. Yeah, they look funny at first, but after a while you come to appreciate flying characteristics much more than appearance. Heck, my profiles all look like *****, but they fly great.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Well I don't really have a problem with profiles, but I had full fuse models in mind for the sake of this thread.

Honestly, I am more into the foam electrics for profiles. I completely understand the ideas behind them and can appreciate them, but I just like the look of a full fuselage much better past a certain size.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
XJet
Banned

The one *HUGE* benefit of a profile is that when you dork it (and of course you will), you'll find they're a *lot* tougher and, even if they do break, they're a lot easier to fix.

One good dumb-thumb with a UCD and you'll be looking for another model ($$$).

Someone suggested a Mojo I'd second that suggestion. It's a kit not an ARF but they're a quick build and they will fly (quite literally) rings around a UCD.

As far as servos etc... a Mojo 40 will work with just about any standard-sized servo (at least while you're learning) and any decently .46-.55 engine will give you ample power.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're serious about getting started in 3D, pay close attention to the advice given by XJet and JustErik.

My first "real 3D plane" was a UCD 60. While it was OK for learning to hover, it was terrible for learning to harrier. Since harriers are a staple maneuver of basic 3D flying, the UCD 60 is a handicapped 3D plane right from the start.

I've briefly played with the UCD 60 on G4. The simulated UCD 60 is way underpowered, but it still has the same sloppy feel in 3D flight as the real one.

I'd suggest trying some simulated 3D practice with the Yak 54 3D on G4. This plane closely simulates the feel of a good profile 3D plane, such as a Mojo. If you prefer the feel of the simulated Yak 54 3D over the simulated UCD 60, then you will prefer a profile Mojo over a UCD in real life.

I know that this thread was about good 3D planes from Tower, but Tower doesn't really have anything to compete with a Mojo when it comes to 3D flying.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Hah, the Yak 54 is actually one of my favorite models in G4, it does pretty much anything I want it to without giving me any trouble at all. I was afraid of getting too used to it as i was under the impression it was a giant scale and might have very different flight characteristics than a 3D plane I could actually afford at this point My most flown planes in G4 are probably it, the 1/3 Edge from G3 expansion pack 1, and the flatout Turmoil and RC Uni biplane.