Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U Can 3D w/120 + engines

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U Can 3D w/120 + engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 03:12 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Can 3D w/120 + engines

Might as well leave the wheel pants off altogether. Helps to make up for 2 of the 10 oz you add.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:17 AM
travis newman
Banned

HA<HA<HA,A [U Can Do .40] for sale already ,this dosnt surprise me
Glad u wizend up ,the funtana actualy WILL do a steady hairier and elivators with out seriouse uncontrolable wing rocking,manuvers that are considered real 3D manuvers.
i have the UCD 60 and i could just break it over my leg and slam it in the guarbage.Verry poor desine for good 3D.the best plane iv found to do the best 3D is the Morris Hobbies .40 Knife.mine will do tale slides to a landing from 50 feet up to the ground,it dose verry tight hovering figure 8s 2feet off the ground,it dose aflatspin to a smooth landing,climing flatspins,loop on takeoff back into a smooth landing,roling circles,roling hairiers,inverted hairiers,knife edge loops,square knife edge loops,and when you put all of thies manuvers into flowing combinations.......whell you get the point
Best of all, the Knife is a poven ,truely 3D desine.Its what i used to learned all of the manuvers listed above.go to morrishobbies.com and order one, or else you might give up on 3D.Talk to Robbert and tell him Tavis sent u.
get the MVVS .40 with mini tuned pipe deal too,this moter has the best throtle transition for HOVERIN,this moter is a must.and you need an APC 11/4 prop and 30% nitro.when u mount the moter add 3 degrees RIGHT THRUST,you will not go wrong with this setup,i promis u.Set your CG at 5 and 3/4 inches back from the leading edge of the wing after you get used to the plane.and all controle serfaces must have no less than 45 deg. throw, 50 is beter.Also make sure you have it set up for 60%flaps ,this meens u need a t least a 6 chan radio.
at first i thaugt Robbert was just trien to sell me something but i found out for myself just how easy it was to laern to hover,That is what u want to do isent?
GET U ABOUT 3 CASES OF FUEL AND BURN IT UP!!
YOU SHOULD BE HOVERIN GOOD BY THEN...
Old 06-28-2003, 03:27 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remind me not to drink the water in Berryvill if I'm ever over there.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:39 AM
travis newman
Banned

Flyswater Action Magazine is the newest thing out latly.The mag. is verry informative and comprehensive on the new and exiting wold of 3D flyswating!Thers more than one way to swat a fly you know.This months issue covers many diferent agles of attac that can be acomplished with just one flick of the wrist.And how to move in on that BIG ONE you'v had your eye on but just couldent get close enough to NAIL!It also gives tips on how to set your stock flyswater up for the best proformance,and also setups for advanced profesinal flywaters to get that extra edge on proformance in competition!weather your a seasend pro or just an old woman doun at the launder mat FLYSWATER ACTION MAGAZINE delivers!
RUSH OUT TO THE STANDS AND GET YOUR COPPY TODAY!
Next month they will be doing a report on the 3D FLYSWATIN Nationals heald in Wheeling WV .They will also be doing an intervew with DAVE PATRICK!For seeting and reservations call 1- 800- FLY -SWAT :stupid:
Old 06-28-2003, 11:30 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

DKjens
Does it show that I have not had this dig. Camera long? I know this is not a stick build but you find sometimes you get plenty of private message unless you do it this way
Thanks 4 the comments on flying its takes work to bring your bigger planes to the field I am looking at doing the OMP big fun fly this year so I have got to stop because my jr 8101 will hold ten models and I have 10 models on there. I need to get a model or two replaced with something else of my liking. ps my T Thunder fun fly with a 91 os is going to have to find a good airframe for that one, maybe that Morris Knife

seanychen
I just love a plane with wheel pants so they will be staying unless the girls get undressed with an ugly landing then it nude time. I usually feather those in tho

tavis newman
I had this rcs 1.4 lying around as this motor runs great no deadsticks and starts easily. I have tried it on a Dave Patrick Bipe of which it did not cut it.
I ran it on my funtana and it did have the power to T-roll but I would never have brought it down love like www down on the deck dot com (joe Hunt). I have heard the u can do is not great for anything other than hovering well that is what I need a good hover tool for the motor and anything else it does is just gravy to me.
I have owned the Morris s-koi and that baby was great but its still glow.

tavis newman
Thanks 4 the mag. scoop
Old 06-29-2003, 12:39 AM
krayzc-RCU

i am @ the field
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89993_6320.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	51055  
Old 06-29-2003, 12:40 AM
krayzc-RCU

lets do the Dam$ thang

Name:	89994_6320.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	51056  
Old 06-29-2003, 12:48 AM
krayzc-RCU

18 x 6 mejzlik
8550 RPM
8 7/8 lbs

Ok quick history the rcs has been on my Dave Patrick Bipe 12 3/4 lbs, my funtana 11 1/4 lbs, and now this baby under 9lbs. Can you say bad from the word go unlimited vertical I never thought it was possible on this motor
I was in the middle of getting my knife edge mix working when the rains ran me off so far I have a -8, -8, 0, 9, 9 on my rudder to ailerons mix and a -9, -9, 0, -3, -3 on my rudder to elevator mix. My CG turned out to be 5 1/2 inches, this require just a slight push on the stick to maintain inverted flight. This one powerfully combo as the motor will rocket out of a hover. I have not had a chance to do the full spectrum of moves but I will as time goes on. I did not do any mods to strengthen anything on the plane, i.e. no glassing or pining the firewall, tri stock extra to the landing gear. I will see how all holds up the plane lands easy to me with this set up on bounching landing it will land 3 point with just a touch of elevator on the last 6" to 11" from the ground. She slows down nicely with the 6-pitch prop.

Name:	89995_6320.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	51057  
Old 06-29-2003, 12:38 PM
OnTheEdge

Ah yes, setting the CG in front of the fireplace. It doesn't get any better than this.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2003, 05:44 PM
krayzc-RCU

OnTheEdge
u know the deal its smoking out in the garage this room has air condition he he, it took me a quick second to see that was my house u posted the pic on. i thought wow he is working in his living room 2.

i logged in 6 flights this morning on the u can i have got to figure out the planes stong points, so far i see it does the wall great, i end up having to put another washer in the thrust to get the uplines like i enjoy a pic will be posted later on that deal.

one of my rudder pull pull broke on me and i have 2 come back to the house to build another one......
Old 06-29-2003, 07:04 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Default Let's all run out and do this

and tell him Tavis sent u.
What a glowing recommendation this is. Yeah, just what I want to be telling someone I am trying to buy R/C stuff from.

Tavis old buddy, you're killing us. <shakes head in disbelief>

Must be some kind of toxic waste in the water up there.

Rick
Old 07-02-2003, 10:27 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Come-on G,
Update-update-update!!!

Joe
Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 AM
krayzc-RCU

Oops sorry 4 the delay as I have been getting rain on my head

So far this is what I know the motor has the power to do outstanding waterfalls/end overs whichever name u prefer. I had to put another washer into the firewall for better right thrust as I have unlimited vertical with the RCS 1.4 running an 18 x 6 Mejzlik. I will get some pics of me flying it as soon as someone comes out to the field with me as no one is ever @ the field but me . Usually one of the neighbors kid will stop by & watch so tomorrow should be a great day. The torque rolls are as it has power to spare I did a T-roll the other day then nailed the throttle to check out the power. It pulls out with ease but with a 6 pitch prop its not super fast as I had previous thought. It pulls out with ease as I compare it to other planes I have put the RCS on. I have gotten the knife edge mix as best as I can with the JR 8101 radio, Left to Right is perfect; however, Right to Left still require some correction on my part sometimes its ailerons sometimes it elevator. If I adjust the mix by one point it will do just the opposite and still require correction. It is amazing how little fuel the RCS uses I have a 10.5 oz tank and my timer set to 15 minutes I flew one flight 3/4 to full throttle and still came in with about 4 oz to spare. I just keep going back and forth full throttle knife-edges. Flat spin are not even flat at this point it really looks like you are inputting a knife edge spin when you attempt a flat spin or a blender. Maybe me, nah couldn't be it must be the plane I am having a blast with the bird she lands well I have to fly her for about 10-15 seconds 8-12 inches from the ground as she floats well with my 2000 grand idle on the motor. I will also try a tune pipe later on this month to see how much of a difference I notice with that along with trying some other props now, that I have the motor on a different plane. The motor really does well with a heavy prop which surprises me but I will get to other props. So far all stock build on the plane is holding up well, as I did not pin the firewall, brace up the landing gear block or run flying wire. For all consider this plane go ahead and do the gas deal I sure hate to spend 15 dollars for a gallon of fuel while I am making adjustments to the CG, thrust, rudder to aileron mix, rudder to elevator and throttle to elevator mix. The bird does an outstanding wall. My inverted flight require just a small push on the stick and its very small with a 5 ½ CG. This is what I know at this point talk @ u soon…. gerald
Old 07-03-2003, 03:58 AM
supertiger

Default 1.40

Krayzc, im glad im not the only one who is impressed with this set up, when i told people how much my plane weighed they could only tell how bad it would fly, but this is my most powerfull, over powered set ive ever had, and lands slower to. ive got mine sittling on the charger right now gettng ready for the big weekend.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:05 PM
krayzc-RCU

Default prop testing

Today I tested the following props:

18 x 8 Mejzlik 8700
18 x 6W APC 7860

17 x 8 Menz

The APC was hands down the best for this plane. I had previous tried the APC on a DP Bipe with OS 160, and the 17 x 8 on a satio 180 on a Sig Cap 231. I also test the 18 x 6 APC, and the Mejzlik on the RCS while it was installed in the Desert Aircraft Funtana by SS. The Mejzlik was the hands down winner.

Now with this light of a plane the APC out pulls the other 2 mentioned props and the slower spool up time is not noticed as the plane will do the T-roll very well with the APC. Speed is more with the APC we are talking 35-45 MPH with the Mejzlik, and 60-75 with the APC. Big loops are better controlled with the APC.

Still no success with the flat spins with any of the props. Knife-edge is better with the APC as the speed and pulling power of the prop makes for a smoother knife-edge. You will not even notice that you are getting less RPM with the APC prop…

Supertiger what prop are you using?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:19 PM
OnTheEdge

Default Re: prop testing

Originally posted by krayzc
Still no success with the flat spins with any of the props.
Krayzc, Set up spoileron (also known to some as "reflex") on a switch and she'll flatten out and then some (inverted especially). this is also very desirable on this plane to help with the wing rocking in harriers (It helps but doesn't prevent it unfortunately)

.........Mark
Old 07-04-2003, 01:42 AM
supertiger

Default 1.40

I'm using APC 17x8N, but I'm open to try 18x6 I'm haveing trouble slowing down for landings so for right now Ive turned my idle down so low that it sometimes dies before i get it landed, so maby ill try 18x6 and i can idle up a bit more for landings.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:00 AM
krayzc-RCU

supertiger the 18 x 6W is heavy so its will let you idle the motor down low i think you will be able to do you thing then.

on the edge thanks for the tip as i will set that up on my next outing is it the usually of up with up elevator and down with down elevator (ailerons)?
Old 07-04-2003, 03:53 AM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

May as well add my 2 cents here....

Saito 100, APC 16x4w, and 4400' altitude...and I need more. I can hover, but it needs near full throttle, and barely pull out of that hover with 20% nitro. I have a Saito 180 in a DP Ultimate, but I'm having too much fun with it

Thinking about the RCS, since I figure my FPE 2.4 is toooo big

Mark
Old 07-04-2003, 12:15 PM
krayzc-RCU

steven04 welcome 2 the club supertiger started

my buddy did the same thing a few years ago with the Dave Patrick Extra he installeda Brison 3.2 right from the start and later that became the trend......
Old 07-07-2003, 12:08 PM
hoverlover9797
My Feedback: (3)

Default Pull out power

The YS140 climbs out of a hove with an attitude! I have a 16x6 on it. I want to play with other props. Any ideas? Mark
Old 07-07-2003, 12:47 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Try an APC 17/6 on the ys140. Not as fast spoolup as th 16/6, but alot more grunt.

I do have to give a word of warning to anyone else putting together a seriously overengined UCD. Go with pinned hinges. After about 40 flights on mine with the saito 150, I have broken one rudder hinge, and two out of three on one elevator half. this is even with the hingelines sealed on both sides. They didnt pull out, they broke at the seam. So, who makes a good pinned
hinge to use?

Steve
Old 07-07-2003, 01:01 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Steve I relpace the broken CA hinges on my edge with Robart pinned hinges. Just one hole to drill in each side, and is really easy with the dril guide. Fixed all my hinge problems.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:39 PM
krayzc-RCU

steve did u use the white ca one that came with the kit?

i replaced mine with the blue ones pictured on here, i have never had these ones to break.....
Old 07-07-2003, 04:20 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by stevezero
I do have to give a word of warning to anyone else putting together a seriously overengined UCD. Go with pinned hinges. After about 40 flights on mine with the saito 150, I have broken one rudder hinge, and two out of three on one elevator half. this is even with the hingelines sealed on both sides. They didnt pull out, they broke at the seam.
One of the fellows here lost his YS 1.20-powered UCD on its maiden flight over the weekend. The h-stab fluttered, then blew off altogether, then the plane reverted to Kit Form

He also has a Diabolic whos h-stab flutters pretty easily (but never failed.) Since the UCD blew up he's put reinforcing wires on the D.

Worth considering IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.