Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GP .60 Reactor Bibe

Actually, have a 75AX and a FS 91SII spare for it. Leaning towards the 75AX if its relaible enough. Had a lot of problems with it on my Topstar but that could be a tank height issue as my mentor ran it on a stand and reported it runs ok. Will be ordering the extension adapter for the 75AX with the ARF.

For servos I am getting Futaba S3010s. I already have 5 of them and they give 70+oz-in at 6V. Will be using a 3200mAh LiFePO4 battery pack and Futaba 9CAP-TM8-6008HS config. Will y-connect the top and bottom servos, may not have enough channels for 7 servos (may be). Planning to z-bend the pushrods instead of soldering.

Another couple of question:

1) The manual recommends 1.5" servo arms for rudder and 1" arm for aileron for 3D. However, the servo itself comes with the nylon arms of 1.5" and 1.25", so do I need to purchase the recommended GP aluminium arms?

2) The airplane comes with the ailerons pre-hinged (I am told). I was intending to put pinned hinges instead. Can you tell me whether the pre-hinging part is correct and whether the hinges used are pinned or CA hinges?

Ameyam

Ameyam
    Preflight check is optional , picking up the pieces is consequential

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ailerons are CA pre-hinged. Here are some pics of the aileron servo bays. The wing is barely 1" deep there; full size servos would likely be a tight squeeze but would fit. Personally, I'm very satisfied with the micro servo setup, as that's what's recommended and would be 4oz lighter than full size setup. Keep in mind, each aileron is only about 22" long, so you are not asking that much of a servo for load. The Hobbico CS12MG servos I'm using are rated around 40oz/in of torque.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk24985.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	1519862  
    Crashing my way to being a better pilot!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wyo69cowboy,

am not worried regarding the load but regarding the servo itself. Just like the Bipe, the Reactor 46 also recomments mini servos. When setting it up last year, I had bought 6 225mg servos. One of them failed even before I finished putting it together[:@]. We chickened out and put in the 3010s. Since that time my mentor and I have given up on mini servos

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, as I mentioned in another post, I too have used several 225MG servos, and have had problems with about 3 or 4 of them. Might just be that particular servo. Hobby People has some Airtronics mini digitals on sale for about $30 right now; might try a couple of those on my Reactor Bipe's elevators. FWIW, the CS12MG's from Hobbico have been great; as I said before, they have been getting a real workout in this bipe. Got my landing gear block repaired last nite (and the holes in the bottom wing covering the wheel pants poked holes in [&o]) so it should be back in the air this week!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reading that you had problems with 3~4 of them, did they occur during flying or setup? Like I said, I ran the 225mg in "servo test" for an hour on sunday and they were all merrily operating at the end of it. Shouldnt this test be enough for a "burn-in"? (I repeated the same with the 3010s as well)

Also, I dont get your point regarding the servo weight difference between the 225mg and the 3010 is 0.4oz, so for 4 of the same it should be 1.6oz or 45g which is hardly anything considering the other components of the airplane. For example, the 75AX would weigh 26.46oz (750g) where as the FS91 24.2oz (686g)

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 225MG problems usually occurred after some use; I had two that "jitter" and don't center well, and one that outright quit. That being said, I have at least 10 in service still currently in different planes. Just haven't been all that pleased with them.

As for the weight difference, I am talking about the difference between a standard servo (1.5oz+) to the micros I am talking about (.7oz). That is almost 4 oz difference. Not a huge issue, but I've definitely found that it all adds up. If you go with the heavier equipment at each stage (engine, servos, battery pack, etc) pretty soon you have a plane at the heavy end of the spectrum, which makes for a poorer flying plane, at least in the 3D realm. I was quite pleased, as my plane came out at 7lb 5oz with my 3300mah packs, and 7lb 8oz with my 4000mah 6S packs. Can I tell the difference in 3 oz? Not likely, but as stated, 3 oz here, 3 oz there, and you will notice a 1/2 to 1lb difference in a plane this size.
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually I intend to put in the FS91 which I believe should be enough since I fly at sea level. My objection to the 75AX is that you end up destroying the cowl for cutting the cooling holes into it for the 90deg installation. The 91 gives a clean install inverted with both the cooling holes and the silencer on the underside of the fuselage and is also lighter.

Since I am planning to use all other equipments common to either setup: 6008HS, 3200mAh LiFe, standard servos for the tail and the same engine, I was comparing the servo weight only. Its just a few grams difference between the mini and the standard size, I may make it up by not installing the wheel pants (we fly off grass). On this airplane I dont even have to replace any accessories: the tail wheel for example is already 3/4" and main wheels 2" which are what I usually need replace on all the ARFs. I am considering strengthening critical areas (such as landing gear block, firewall) with glass-fibre cloth to add strength and that may add a little weight.

Suggest a good prop please, I have 15x4 MAS

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The landing gear block area could use some strengthening; when I re-attached mine, I added some triangle stock in front of both vertical formers that hold the gear block, as well as some horizontal for the gear block and former itself.

I flew the yellow monoplane Reactor with a Saito .82 and liked the 14x4W or 15x4W APC; your .91 would probably work quite well with the 15x4W, or perhaps a 15x6. Good luck with your project!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definately add some triangle stock inside the landing gear block area.
    On both Reactor Bipes I have had, the gear and block pulled out on both.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Going through the Manual, it recommeds aftermarket servo horns (GPMM 1100 X 2, 1" Long and GPMM1105 X 1.5" Long) for the elevators and rudder respectively. Are these required for 3D for this airplane or can I simply use the large horns that came with the standard servos for this purpose. Planning to use 3010

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want the 3D throws, I would say they are probably necessary. I have used these on several planes, and they work great. Dubro also makes them in Futaba splines. I used the standard blue aluminum Hitec horn (either 3/4" or 1", can't remember) on the ailerons and was able to get the throws just fine.
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the aluminium ones recommended by the Manual. I am planning to install the Hitec 225MGs on the ailerons with the stock arms. Remaining I will use the 3010s. FS91SII or 75AX for engine. 15x4 prop if it can take it. Replacing the included wheels and tailwheel with Dubro 2.75" low bounce treaded ones and 1.25" rubber ones. Was worried that the stock ones will absorb fuel (they are foam ones) and then leave marks in the car.

I am also getting a AW 260MX profile soon. This particular 75AX gave me a lot of trouble earlier and I will use the profile both to learn 3D as well as as a test-stand for the engine

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DlLE-20 just arived I should start transplant of Saito 91s this weekend, and fly next! YEA!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool! pics definitely please!!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes pics of the DL 20 install. I am considering doing mine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my Reactor Bipe today and at a much lower customs duty then I expected.

When I opened it, I was quite surprised. Firstly, the box is no bigger than the Reactor 46 box and the wings span is so small!!! It looks like a 25 or 32 size airplane. It will definately be easier to transport than my Reactor 46 on that account.

Will post pictures when I get around to doing a full opening tomorrow

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep got it on the bench now! I am hoping to run it this weekend and break it in. Thed DLE went in with little effort but will need new cowl so it will liik good! The plane flew nice with a Saito 91s before!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that fits better than I thought it would! Looks like the cowl has to be out on the left side, but not too bad. It is too bad that the pitts mufflers I've seen on the DLE 20 thread all appear much wider than the engine, so there really wouldn't be any benefit with going with one of those at this point. Keep us posted on how it performs, and more pics! I've got 50+ flights on mine on electric now, and really, really like the plane!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, the DLE20 looks good in there. Definately looking forward to a flight report and video.
    A friend of mine is putting one in his. I haven't had a chance to visit him yet to see it first hand. I have been flying mine as electric for a year now as electric. Going into its second winter now.
    I will probably keep it electric for this winter since it is really easy to transport. At the field I pull it out of the car, slide in a battery, fly, repeat 8 times, go home
    I have 8 batteries and don't even have to bring a charger with me. I have yet to go through all 8 batteries during a single outting.
    I will probably change it the 20 next spring.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ready for re-maiden!
    After 50+ flights this spring and summer on this plane, mostly on windy days of 15mph +, it was time to experiment. The plane was flown with a Saito 91 with a 14X6 prop, JR DS821 throughout and a Matchbox for wing servos and it was awesome! In 20+ winds it didn’t care and always landed slower than I walk. With the introduction of the DLE-20 I knew there was a heart transplant on order. When the motor arrived it bolted right in and the cowl used the same mounting holes! Although I will order a new one to cut better around the motor! I slid the fuel tank back and installed the ignition box below it and added a battery to just above the lower wing bolts for balance. AUW 7 lbs. 10 oz. With a Zoar 16x8 it idles at 1750 rpm and tops out at 8400. All that is left is to fly it which will happen soon! Wow does this thing have some PULL! Flight report very soon!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it flies!
    21 degrees out winds were 2-5mph. After a brief warm up it was time to fly. Take off was uneventful taking is kind of slow. It easily climbed to a mistake or two high and started to do some trimming. Form the original setup with the Saito 91 it took two clicks of down elevator and one of right aileron and that was it! I was using a 16x8 prop spinning at 8400 and idle at 1720rpm. In level flight this is to fast for this plane and I will go to a 17X6 on next flights. Over all flying was not much different, for 15oz heavier. Wing loading is around 15 which is good because It floats in on landing. Landing speed will be slower with the other prop, I was used to about a 10 foot roll out this was about 20. After fling this combination, I would recommend this to anybody wanting a small gasser! More flights to come but probably with skis as it beginning to feel like winter is coming!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How many guys are mounting their fuel tanks in foam vs mounting the H9 recommend way? I'm wondering if the hard mount H9 way will cause problems with the fuel foaming/aerating?
    hanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is hard mounted and not a problem with the gas. It was hard mounted with the glow tank a well and the Saito 91 shoot it pretty good. Just my $.02.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wont a OS FS91 SII be sufficient for this airplane at sealevel for 3D?

Ameyam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a Saito 91 in mine and pull out from a hover was slow! I think a 100 to 125 would be better if proped right.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast