Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

First 3D Plane

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

First 3D Plane

Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First 3D Plane

I learned 3D on a mojo. I had planes marketed as "3D" before that but they weren't. The UCD will teach you how to hover or flat spin, but they are eggshell fragile and don't do the high alpha rolling maneuvers well and have lots of knife edge coupling. A mojo does everything well, and is near unbreakable. I have a Primo and just did a forward flip into the ground at full throttle (not too smart I know, stupid wind..) and only crunched the rudder. Thin CA and some new covering and it was good as new. Would've been a total loss or at least a broken fuse behind the wing on a UCanDo.

Mike
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
TruBlu02

Keep practicing with that MOJO on real Flight and you will be way ahead of the game when you dicide what to get. Yes it is handfull but spend some time with it and you will really get a good feel for the muscle memory required for 3D.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
TakingFlight96

Like I said before I'll probably either sell my UCD .60 for a bit of money OR see if someone would want to trade a UCD .40 for my .60. Now, w/ the Depron Foamy plans the set ups are electric. I want to try my hardest on finding a glow plane. BTW- w/ the RealFlight thing, my dads computer just crashed so, he just got everything settled & the G3.5 back on. All I have to do is go on KnifeEdge and find it again. Also, last night was my clubs monthly meeting & my dad and me went out a bit early to fly and a member had an OMP Fushion out there, it flew very nice. Another club member had an OMP Boxer Biplane, too. I was going to fly but, due to a fuel tubing problem I couldn't [:@] My game plan right now is to get the Mojo loaded and practice, practice, practice !

TF96
Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
TakingFlight96

Is their any good full bodied planes that would teach me good orientation for the sim ? I may have to put this situation on the back burner considering that I'm thinking of taking my VQ Mig from retract to fixed gear. Thanks for all the advice so far.

TF96
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
TruBlu02

TF96,

Glad you got to see some profiles in action. The Fusions are really nice planes. Its good you got your sim back up and running. I posted the link for the MOJO on the previous page of this thread. As for a full fuse plane try out this Extra 330L. It is my favorite plane on Realflight along with the Mojo.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...do=file&id=512
Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
TakingFlight96

Yep, TruBlu, I just went onto KnifeEdge and uploaded one. Before the computer crashed I had a really nice Extra 300 but, it was not an L version. I put a link, I also had that plane w/ a scheme just likes Sig's got. Because the Sig Extra 300 is like my dads dream plane so I thought I'd be nice and upload it for him as a surprise. I didn't think I'd like it, but, after I tried it I loved it ! I also added a Pitts Python bipe, just for fun

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...do=file&id=960

TF96
Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
TakingFlight96

Would a Pizazz be a good learner ? My dad was trying to sell this plane and for some reason couldn't sell it. He is willing to turn the rates down for me to give er a try. What do you guys think ? Thanks.

TF96
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 AM
TruBlu02

THe Pizazz has pretty good reviews here at RCU. I did a little digging and it is a discontinued Kit from Hangar 9. One good thing about the Pizazz is the wing design. It has a thinner airfoil than most planes in this category (Twist 3D) so it will have a wider speed envelope. I have never flown one so I cannot really judge its 3D ability but it would probably be OK to learn some of the basics of 3D like Hovering and harriers. Make sure to seal all the hinge gaps to make it a little more stable in High Alpha flight. Also I would make sure to have some negative expo dialed into the radio as well. It will amke it a little less twitchy. Here is the link to the RCU reviews.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...cfm?kit_id=703
Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
TakingFlight96

I've been getting at least 30 minutes a day on the sim. Tonight I went to the field and all went great. My grandma wanted to come out and see my dad and me fly, so, she came out and watched. Shes so supportive of me I even did a few loops w/ my 4* and I also had to richen it up a bit. I attempted some right hand patterns, hardly ever do right hands, but, I switched it up and did a few of those. A guy at the field (who sold me the 4*) couldn't stop talking about how great that UCD 3D .60 is, I still have mine in the box, and am itching to get it started.

TF96
Old 07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
TakingFlight96

I just have one more quick question/ idea to think about. I was thinking what is the difference between Pattern & 3D ? Is it the fact that in pattern you have a predetermined "pattern or plan" ? Could you fly 3D in a predetermined pattern ? What is the difference between Pattern planes & 3D planes. Sorry, I have a lot of questions, I promise no more questions for tonight

TF96
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a cheap 3D plane for you. My buddy has one and I'm putting one togther as I type this. Check the video out.

[link]http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/stiffys/index.htm[/link]
Old 07-14-2009, 01:05 AM
victorzamora

In pattern competitions, you do have a preset routine to fly. However, pattern flying is commonly used to mean a style of flying. Pattern flying is a very smooth type of flying. Slow rolls, point rolls, hammer heads, humpty-bumps, immelmans, split-s's, sharks teeth, etc. All of those maneuvers are typical maneuvers, and you're judged on maintaining altitude, maintaining consistency through all the maneuvers, and precise angles. Go to Youtube and watch some F3A videos or IMAC videos....and that's what Pattern's all about. Pattern flying normal requires a much more forward CG and MUCH smaller control surfaces (both in total size and deflection). True pattern flying is limited to 11lbs and 2m by 2m. IMAC isn't limited by size or weight, but you do have to have a plane that is (and let's see if I can get the words right) a scale representation of a plane that has been flown in full scale aerobatic competitions. It doesn't have to be perfect, but close enough.

3D is 3D....you know what it is. It requires a much more aft CG and MUCH larger control throws (both in size and deflection). I guess you COULD fly a predetermined 3D flight...and I'm sure most (if not all) of the world-class pilots plan a routine to fly. If you go to www.mini-iac.org you can look up the Aresti maneuver script. They don't have a script for High Alpha maneuvers, hovering, torque-rolling, etc.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks that cleared it up ! So basically Pattern is more slow & precise, correct ?

TF96
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
samtech

Pretty much. Pattern and or Imac is about precision and form. 3D is wild crazy extreme wing folding airframe torture. In 3D flying the wing is fully stalled most of the time. In pattern of Imac it rarely is. My Imac plane has about 15*+/- throw on the elevator. It flies pretty stiff, smooth and crisp. My 3D plane has 60*+/- and won’t fly strait and level to save its life. It’s touchy around center, sort of wobbles through the sky and will do anything you ask of it.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: TakingFlight96

Thanks that cleared it up ! So basically Pattern is more slow & precise, correct ?

TF96
I wouldn't say it's slow.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:42 PM
TakingFlight96

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

ORIGINAL: TakingFlight96

TF96
I wouldn't say it's slow.
What I meant is its not slow, but, a bit slower than 3D. "Smoother" is more along the lines of what I meant.

TF96
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
victorzamora

Maneuvers are a lot slower, but performed at a higher speed (for the most part). 3D is performed at a slower airspeed (sometimes no airspeed) but the maneuvers are much faster and much more violent. I guess that's the way to differentiate between what I think you meant and what other people thought you meant.

Have you looked up Aresti yet? If not, you might want to....and then you might want to practice pattern/IMAC stuff while practicing 3D. Believe it or not, pattern/IMAC is the best way to learn 3D.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
mrbigg

I agree with vic. Learn pattern. I think it's harder than 3D, myself.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 AM
kwboost

Well I think you have to do what you enjoy. I think pattern and 3d can be equaly challenging. For example, I have seen good pilots fly 3d in freestyle competitions and it is amazing. Every 3d manuver is performend gracefully and with precision. It is often mixed with smooth imac manuvers too. On the other hand, some pilots get a kick out of burring holes in the sky. just doing the wildiest things they can imagine. and banging the sticks.
just find what you like and have fun doing it! [8D]
Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
TakingFlight96

Yep, I looked up Aresti and found it very interesting. I may want to look into pattern more. I never really was sure what pattern is all about, now I know.

TF96
Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
victorzamora

PLEASE understand that I'm NOT pulling you away from 3D....but fly pattern as well (ideally before) as 3D. I don't think that either is better OR more impressive than the other. I think that the quickest way to excel at 3D is to fly pattern well. Pattern teaches a lot of control in weird positions and controlling both sticks in both axes each. Definitely dabble in 3D though....you're going to enjoy it for sure.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
TruBlu02

I have always been a fan of both Pattern and 3D. To be honest It is much harder to do pattern maneuvers well than it is 3D. Most of the time when i go out to fly with my Reactor, my flights are a combination of both 3D and Pattern/IMAC styles of flying. I may do a slow roll from one end of the field to the next and flip to 3D rates on the next pass and snap the plane into a wall and hover right at midfeld. Both styles are challenging and look amazing when done right. Honestly that is the reason I have flown the hell out of my Reactor. It has the long slender body and thin airfoil of a pattern plane but has the huge control surfaces and light wing loading of a 3D plane. It is the best of both worlds!! I have been focusing lately more on improving my patern skills. Alot of the Pattern maneuvers are not that diffacult to do but they are hard to get perect while keeping in line of the runway and timing. I feel like a new pilot all over again!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM
kwboost

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

I have always been a fan of both Pattern and 3D. To be honest It is much harder to do pattern maneuvers well than it is 3D. Most of the time when i go out to fly with my Reactor, my flights are a combination of both 3D and Pattern/IMAC styles of flying. I may do a slow roll from one end of the field to the next and flip to 3D rates on the next pass and snap the plane into a wall and hover right at midfeld. Both styles are challenging and look amazing when done right. Honestly that is the reason I have flown the hell out of my Reactor. It has the long slender body and thin airfoil of a pattern plane but has the huge control surfaces and light wing loading of a 3D plane. It is the best of both worlds!! I have been focusing lately more on improving my patern skills. Alot of the Pattern maneuvers are not that diffacult to do but they are hard to get perect while keeping in line of the runway and timing. I feel like a new pilot all over again!
I agree.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
TakingFlight96

I might actually learn both, and practice both on the sim. To me it sounds like if you learn Pattern first it will make adapting to 3D a bit easier. So would any planes mentioned earlier back at the beginning of the thread, be suitable for both Pattern and 3D ? If not, is there a plane that would ? Thanks so much for the help.

TF96
Old 07-16-2009, 02:06 PM
kwboost

A full fuse extra, edge, yak. like the ones i mentioned earlier in the thread will be perfect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.