Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Neep help picking a YAK!!!!!!!!!! Has to be a Yak

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Neep help picking a YAK!!!!!!!!!! Has to be a Yak

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Mikecam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neep help picking a YAK!!!!!!!!!! Has to be a Yak

I'm looking at getting a Yak. I've narrowed it down somewhat to these two. I would like to go Gasser and putting a DA or DL 50/55 into the Extreme Flight 88" Yak is what I'm leaning toward. Looking for opinions. Would a Futaba 10C fly these birds? Thanks

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/88yak54.html Black and Yellow

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=288

If anyone else has a suggestion I'd like to hear it.
Looking for pro's and Con's of both planes and the Da-50 and or DL-55

http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...p?Page=DA-50-R

http://www.dlusa.net/Products.html
Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Neep help picking a YAK!!!!!!!!!! Has to be a Yak

I'm very impressed with the DL 55, there's one at our club that I've flown.

You wont get much better than the Extreme Flight, I love my 74". The 10C would be more than enough radio for it.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Mikecam

Thanks Barracuda. The black /yellow really gets me going. I'd like to put the DL-55 in it and use the saved cash for a smoke muffler, if there is such a thing. thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I failed to mention that not only are the airplanes top notch but so is the staff and service.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48010.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	1225233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59175.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	1225234  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:51 PM
MichaelJH
My Feedback: (21)

Defenantly go with the EF 88" yak. I havent flown the 88" but the smaller yaks are awsome! Extreme Flight makes all around the best planes! I would use the DL 55.

I really have my eye on the EF 88" Edge 540 thats coming out[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Michael
Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Mikecam

After reading the entire DL-55 thread in the gas engine forum and not reading one real problem and lots of good experiences I've decided to go with the DL-55. Not sure who I should order from though. Valley view RC or DLUSA. Emailed Extreme Flight to see when the 88" Yak Black/Yellow is expected back in stock. Looking forward to getting everything ordered. Extreme Flight also sells servo arms and a pull pull rudder system, should I order that too or source out myself? Anybody have suggestions on the servo's. I'll be flying with the Futaba 10C and with the new digital high speed receiver if it is better. Have to research that more as I know diddly about it. Lots of people use Hitech, are they better or cheaper, I have always bought Futaba servo's but if hitech's are the way to go then no problem. Thanks for all the reply's. Don't know if I would ever get a plane of this size and quality off the ground with out this site and the great people who help out. Thanks again!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:36 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Here's one with a BH-50cc engine combo [link=http://www.texasrcplanes.com/50yak54adenc.html]YAK 50cc[/link]
Old 06-28-2009, 02:58 AM
flygilmore

I have the 88" Black/Yellow Yak from Extreme Flight and love it!!! My setup is: DL50 with stock muffler, Vess 23A, Hitec 7955TG all around, two NiMH 1400 6V packs for RX and two switches of course. The DL has more than enough power and the more I fly this plane, the more I love it-you won't be dissapointed!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84514.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1226097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83383.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1226098  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Mikecam

Thanks flygilmore. Very nice plane. I've never done the two switch thing and that kind of stuff is scaring me a little but I really want that plane. I'm looking at getting the Futaba 10C but for now I have the 7C. Anybody fly this plane with a 7C. Would be nice to fly it with my 7C for now and not have to put out the cash just yet for the radio and the plane. Thanks for all the reply's. Sure helps knowing other people have the exact same setup I'm looking at and are happy with it.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
MichaelJH
My Feedback: (21)

I have a 7C and I would not use it. It is posible to Y the elevators and alerons but its not the best thing to do. As far as where to get a DL-55 TBM has it for $410 with the pitts.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

If you are simply discouraging use of the 7C due to "Y"ing the elevators and ailerons, I would better suggest you use a Futaba MSA-10 servo synchronizer or JR Matchbox. It allows you to adjust the trim on the servos individually on the ground, set endpoints etc. In the air you can use the trim tab - and will operate as it should, a single unit.

Ive used the Futaba version with my 7CAP without issue...and am now using it with my 7C - No issues - Perfect!.

So much for futaba advertising a "dual elevator function" ...which doesnt work as it should!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

I too am waiting on the EF 88 Yak to be in stock, looks like an awesome plane. I bought the 10c when it first came out and love it!. I also bought a DLE55 from TBM last summer. That is one heck of an engine, will buy the 111 later with no hesitation. I like TBM because when I called them they acted like Id already spent a million bucks there, very nice and smart people. AND.....they do offer support right there where you bought it, not overseas somewhere. From what Ive seen from any DL or DLE engine, the mechanics are prob sitting around with nothing to do like the maytag repair man!!!!! GREAT ENGINES!!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Gillotti

ORIGINAL: ro347

If you are simply discouraging use of the 7C due to "Y"ing the elevators and ailerons, I would better suggest you use a Futaba MSA-10 servo synchronizer or JR Matchbox. It allows you to adjust the trim on the servos individually on the ground, set endpoints etc. In the air you can use the trim tab - and will operate as it should, a single unit.

Ive used the Futaba version with my 7CAP without issue...and am now using it with my 7C - No issues - Perfect!.

So much for futaba advertising a "dual elevator function" ...which doesnt work as it should!
I have a 10 c and a 7c, why do you say the dual elevator function doesn't work on the 7c.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

yes go with the EF yak.. they are monster planes and fly much bigger than they are... check out the 7954sh from chief, you run them right off a 7.4 lipo.. and the price tag cant be beat..

the dle 55 will be a great motor for that plane

and check out the EF yak build thread in giant scale 3d if you have any questions about setup or anything at all there are a ton of guys that are very quick to answer

race
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM
ameyam

For Some time, I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a Phoenix Yak 54 60" as a spare airframe to my Reactor 46. I have a spare OS 75AX lying around and am planning to use that in the airplane. I am limited to the 60" size due to both transportation and engine restrictions for 3D.

Anyone has any experience with the flying, stall / tip-stall characteristics of this model? Alos, how is the build quality. This plane is marked as 3D on the box.

Ameya
Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
jm_mac

You are on the right track. I have flown several Extreme flight planes and they are all very good. I highly recommend the Yak. Dont overlook the Extras either.......Now for engines.......DA. I would recommend DA to anyone. Service and reliability. Best gas engine I have ever flown.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
victorzamora

The 2.4GHz 7C works with dual elevator servos.....the 72MHz 7C does not. Do NOT use the 72MHz 7C (the 7CAP/CHP). Some people do with good luck, but it's all luck. Y-harnesses FAIL. Reversing Y-harnesses fail ALL THE TIME!!!