Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 .60 Kit

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Extra 300 .60 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 06:33 AM
ysrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300 .60 Kit

I just picked up this kit and was wondering if anyone has comments about building it. I will be powering it with a YS 61LS. It will be used for sport flying-no 3D. I so far plan on pull-pull rudder, Beefing up landing gear mounting.

Any one who has built this kit I would like to hear from.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:26 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

My buddy built one of these, and LOVES it!

He's running a pull-pull on the rudder (1/4 scale servo, but possibly overkill) and an OS 1.20 Surpass III which he thinks is overkill! To help balance it out, he's put teh battery in the tail. He also splurged for teh fibreglass cowl.

What he would change:

Go wityh a 90 2 stroke. Plenty power.

When sheeting the wings, use 3/32" sheeting instead (the ribs are far apart, so, after sanding, you tend to put fingres through it.

Change the tail wheel with a Klett or something as such.

Change the main axles for the proper 'Du Bro' axles. The screw threads seems to chew the wheel hubs.

Don't bother with the wheel pants, as they always fall off / break/ twist /etc..
Old 11-12-2002, 06:30 AM
ysrcflyer

I was wondering about the wing sheeting-it seems very thin for the spans. I guess that is one way of keeping it light. I have the tail completed now, I extended the rudder by 3/4" for more authority.

I've found some review's of this plane-some love it, some hate it. I'll chalk one more up in the love it column.

I do have a YS120FZ that looks like it might be able to be transplanted into it later on.

How about hitec 645 for rudder, 605 for elevators, and futaba 3001's for ailerons-any thoughts?

Thanks for the info sofar dr. wogz.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:57 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Don't remeber exactly what Kevin is useing..

Ask him via our site.. [email protected]

3004 in the ailerons, Futaba 1/4 scale for the rudder (pull pull) and I think 3004 for the elevator. a 3004 or 3003 or S-148 for eth throttle. Dunno how that matches up with Hitec stuff, but am told that Hitec 'brand names' their stuff for Futaba..

DO sheet the wing with hard and thicker material than supplied. It's a pain to repair a hole, and doubly when it's covered, and you're at the feild, after your first flight...

there're some videos of his on our site..