Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hangar 9 Frenzy 100 good starter 3D plane?

Basically the title says it all. I don't care if it will do hardcore maneuvers as all I really want to do that my current plane (Global Kwik-Fly) won't (very well) is hover and knife edge. Do you experienced guys think that for someone with a couple years of low-wing experience, if I put the controls on VERY low rates and then brought them up slowly as my skills improved, I would be ok? I'd like to hear from people who actually have the plane and know its capabilities well. I am leaning toward this plane because some people are saying that is a basically a 3D "trainer". I don't know if there is any truth in that so that's why I'm asking around. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 Frenzy 100 good starter 3D plane?

Get yourself a profile with a nice 4 stroke on it. Best and cheapest way to learn 3D. Some sim time wouldn't hurt either.
    PAU Sponsored Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

Get yourself a profile with a nice 4 stroke on it. Best and cheapest way to learn 3D. Some sim time wouldn't hurt either.
    Yep!!! get a profile you wont regret it!!! Here is the perfect one, easy build and great flyer with a OS 55ax or a Saito

http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo/mojo.aspx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it'll be fine.. my bud jst got one and it flys nice and solid..its not a hardcore 3d machine but it does lock-in good in elevators..and flys quite well. almost as good as my reactor .46 he's got a os 91 in his.. but like i said ,it flys good. i'd say better than his showtime..more stable... my 2cnts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

outacntrl
    Don't bother with saying this is a good airplane ( and I'm sure it is). Now that the profiles guys are here it's not worth the argument, because we all know the only thing that will fly 3D well is a profile.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

profiles were invented to make you look good on the sticks cause we all know there not pretty to look @ [>:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope I don't just fly profiles. I mainly fly giant scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKApCe7jS7o

I can tell you from experience that if you are going to start flying a glow plane and want to learn 3d then a profile is a great way to go. The power to weight ratio is much
    higher than that of a regular built up plane. I started out with glow planes then went to giant scale gas. There are only a few exceptions and you will dish out some
    serious $$.

Either way its a hobby so your call!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa87371.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1243057  
    PAU Sponsored Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks to everyone for the fast responses.

#1 Outacntrl, is it a .91 2s or 4s? I was thinking of going 90 size 2s on this bird and would like to know someone else who has gone a similar route. Seems everyone is going 4s with this and although I like 4 strokes, I want to keep the weight down and still have tons of power.

#2. I have Realflight 4.5 and practice a lot on there. (gotta love spacebar=free plane....wish it worked like that in real life) #3. Actually I don't think profiles look too bad. I hear they're durable, is that true? I know that full fuse' 3D planes aren't built too sturdy because they need to be lightweight to have a good thrust/weight ratio. I've never picked up a profile, are they EPP, or balsa, or corrugated plastic, or what? That would determine my next question: what is the repair-ability of a profile? I'm guessing pretty good for the fuse' anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Profiles are usually balsa, light ply, and usually some CF tubes for reinforcement. If you crash them they will break the same as any plane. You can beat the heck out of them in the air and they wont break. You can do things to them that would break even some regular airplanes.

Four Stroke - more torque and less working the throttle stick for 3D. Makes the torque where you need it for 3D.
    Two Stroke - lighter weight and more moving the throttle stick for 3D. Will also fly 3D but not as well in most cases. IMHO

Of course how you setup an airframe overall will also determine how well it can 3D.

I have flown the OMP Fusion on an inexpensive .70 FS (might have been a Saito .72) and there was honestly nothing I could not do with it in terms of 3D.
    I also flew the OMP Edge with a two stroke. While it did 3D, because it had a two stroke I felt I needed to work the throttle more to get the same result.
    You want something that is relatively cheap to setup and replace if you crash - and you will crash at some point.

In general because profiles do not have as complex of a fuse they are not as bad to repair, in general that is. Some of the built up 3D planes in that size have to built so light that after you dork them they can be interesting to put back together.
    PAU Sponsored Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, so more durable as far as high-G maneuvers but not really if you crash it. Interesting insight into the 2 versus 4 stroke debate. I've never done 3D (except in the sim) so I guess the torque has never really been as much of an issue. I suppose I have usually just chosen a slightly oversize off-brand 2 stroke and enjoyed the extra torque of that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the Frenzy with a Saito 125. Tons of power, plenty of torque. I pull it out when it is windy and when I want to practice my 3D stuff.

R/C Foolish

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its a 2 stroke enjoy...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks outacntrl. Sounds like tons of fun.