Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do I do rolls in a circle?

Iā€™m flying a 4*60 with an OS 91 FX
    I can do rolls by:
    Pulling a bit up elevator
    Aileron stick to the right
    Before the airplane is upside down I push down elevator to compensate
    More aileron to bring it back to level flight.

I can do like this about five rolls in one direction flight before it gets out of sight.

Questions:
    Is this the right way to do a roll?
    Ho do I do a circle with rolls all the way or most of the way?

Thanks
    Alex

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #3.
    Ya know, a cat is longer from head to tail than from tail to head.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How do I do rolls in a circle?

There is no wrong way to do a aileron roll. the aileron rol you describe though is basically a paprabolic arc. To amek an aileron look really cool you will not use any up elevator initially. As you start your roll use some left rudder at the 90 degree point, down elevator at 180 degree point, right rudder at 270 degree point, then back to upright position. This will be a true aileron roll with no change in altitude. Looks pretty cool but will take some practice. I will let someone else handle the rolling circle. I am still working on that one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks TruBlue,
    yes i was wondering where the ruder comes in into a roll...
    for now i'm doing rolls too fast to input from the ruder as well but this thing can be changed.

Alex

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you really want to learn rolling circles, then plan on spending time practicing on a simulator. You can spend several hours a week for a year before you get the hang of it. You need to learn to use the rudder independently of the other controls. One good way to practice this is slow rolls. If you can coordinate rudder and elevator so that you can do single slow rolls the length of the flying field, then rolling circles will come easily. Following is a book I found useful about Advanced Aerobatics in general, and they have some other books leading up to this one:

http://www.rcflightschool.com/Adv_Manual.asp

Alex:
    Rolling circles are not all that complicated if you have a small stick model and mentally rehearse all the movements and the control inputs required. Keep in mind that in the knife edge position the elevaror is controlling the the turn and the rudder is used to hold the nose on the horizon. If you start the circle left to right, the sequence is: roll right and hold that aileron deflection throughout the circle, and input left rudder,down elevator, right rudder, up elevator to the upright position heading away from you. Depending on roll rate you should do four rolls per circle to begin with. Those movements are repeated for each quarter of the circle.
    This is where the real difficulties strart. In actual practice, each aircraft has different characteristics and greater or lesser inputs are necessary to maintain the cirlcle and altitude. Also note that the beginning of the second half of the circle you may be heading down wind and the Four Star doesn't have a large enough rudder to maintain knife edge flight, so be cautious! The last quarter of the circle will be the hardest because the controls appear to be reversed. I have flown three of my Four Stars over six hundred flights and they are not the best aircraft for rolling circles, but it can be done, and look good with prctice.
    My Four Stars are Powered with OS 61 FX, Irvine 72, and OS 75 AX, and the OS 61 has enough power for rolling circles.
    I used the Great Planes Flight Simulator and consider it essential to develop proper orientation and correct inputs. This program also has a "Recordings", "Virtual Flight Instruction" sections where experts demonstrrate and explain all these maneuvers. Rolling circles are done at a fairly high speed, and things happen too fast to have to guess. If you"re like me, this won't be learned in a week or two.
    Hope this helps, Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Rich,
    I know what you are talking about with the 4*60, i'm doing knife edges with a mix ruder/elevator so it wont run in.
    i'll try to reduce the throw of the ailerons and do it with another airplane my midstar, its easier but i didnt manage to do it beautiful with the midstar.
    you input about the sequence does help.

Alex

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alex forget about the rudder. You want a small aileron input to produce a slowish roll away from you then time the elevator up input correction at 45 degrees and down at 225 degrees. Work on keeping the roll input steady and the roll rate reasonably slow, I started by using my little finger on the side of the Tx.

The elevator inputs will turn the model in a horizontal circle when you get it right. Concentrate on when to make the inputs and be happy with a stab of up and down. Eventualy you will drop into the right rythmn.

When you get that right try doing one complete roll only in the circuit. YES you will need rudder then.
    The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.