Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Falcon32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540

Hi Guys

Been looking at this one and can't make up my mind http://www.cmpairplane.com/aerobatic...cc%20Size.html
Any body built or flown it, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Falcon
Old 12-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Edge 540

For $189 US, I love the Aeroworks 540T. Its a 46-60 size that I've got a Saito .91 in.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

50cc plane
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry my bad, or maybe it was the link
Old 12-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Falcon32

Just checked the link and it's OK, takes you to the 50cc plane
I do like the scheme, it's a LOOKER but has anyone flown it.
Hope that Santa will put it under the tree, but I need to tell Santa if it's any good.

Falcon
Old 12-15-2009, 07:13 AM
ohnoucdat

Falcon32 I can't help with this plane, but do a search on CMP planes, this may help you make your mind up. I was going to buy a Corsair, from them, but after reading here on RCU, I decided it wasn't for me.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Walt and Sage

Falcon,

I have not owned or flown one BUT I understand it has WING LOADING issues with a 50cc ...[]
It has a 975 sq in wing and is some what heavy for its size, BUT A GREAT LOOKING PLANE...

Nitro Planes and Valley View used to sell them ....
I was thinking also about the plane but the wing size killed it for me using a 50cc gas motor...
Walt
Old 12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Falcon32

Walt

Thanks for the heads up on the wing loading-not good[]
Got to agree though, it is a LOOKER

I'm really looking for something around 77inch and I like the Edge.
Anybody got any good suggestions??

Falcon
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
opjose

What "wing loading" issue?

I have that CMP 50CC Edge 540T and it is a great flyer.

I fly it with a ZDZ 50 NR engine.

The only caveat is that the C.G. should be set further FORWARD of the tick marks on the fuselage... at least 1/4" or more... and not at what the manual recommends.

If the C.G. is set too far back the plane will tend to drop a wing at stall, but this is a gentle and controllable tip stall.

The plane is lightly built using a lot of ply, and a 50CC engine will easily OVER power it, not that this is a bad thing.

Mine easily hovers at 1/3 throttle. It seems to float forever at idle.

IMHO It would be better suited to a 40CC engine than a 50CC one, however.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Falcon32

OK Now I'm confused[X(]
I checked the CMPro website and it shows wing area as 63dm/2. I went to an online conversion site and that works out at 975 sq ins!
With my limited knowledge that really does seem low. I also checked some other planes of similar wing span and they were around 1150 sq ins.
OPJOSE I am thinking of useing an RCGF45cc engine do you think it will perform well, I'm not a 3d expert by any means but I will want it to do stuff like, hover, harriers, rolling harriers, flat spins etc.
Of course if the plane can do it I will have to up my game, but if the plane is not capable, i'll have to look somewhere else.

Falcon
Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Falcon32

OPJOSE I am thinking of useing an RCGF45cc engine do you think it will perform well, I'm not a 3d expert by any means but I will want it to do stuff like, hover, harriers, rolling harriers, flat spins etc.

Of course if the plane can do it I will have to up my game, but if the plane is not capable, i'll have to look somewhere else.

Falcon
The RCGF would still give it MORE than enough power and would be a better fit to this plane.

It would somewhat lighten it further, which is always a good thing.

It is fully capable of hovers and flat spins, but it is an EDGE... and the design of the Edge and similiar planes do not lend themselves for stable harriers... the fuselage to tail on these planes is not essentially flat, and a flatter design causes the rear of the fuse to act to stabilize the plane in harriers, etc. Heck even my Yak's rock when attempting harriers.

A 3D plane has an easy time with harriers in contrast... e.g. my Giant U-Can-Do 3D does them with ease, with just a bit of wing rock upright, and complely solid inverted because of the rudder being underslung when inverted, adding further stability.

I'm able to do elevators with my Edge 540T especially with a light wind on the nose.

Consider it to be more of a Sport plane with 3D capabilities. If you want a true 3D plane you'll need something else.

IMHO the 50CC engine recommendation for the CMP 540T is too much.

40CC should have been recommended, knowing that people would go a bit higher.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Falcon32

OK I understand what you mean about the U-Can-do, I have flown one Great Fun, but thats not the sort of thing I'm looking for.
I have seen both Yaks and edge's harrier quite well are you saying that you would expect a Yak to 3d better that the edge.
I have also looked at this one, http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...%20-%20Seagull more squares so may be a better option.
Thank you for the info so far

Falcon
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
ohnoucdat

If you do end up with this plane, I suggest you try and find it from a reputable dealer, not from nit planes. Thats like playing a crap game, and your across the water, so you may need some customer support,and customer service. Nit planes doesn't have either one
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
opjose

As far as a zero wind harrier, I don't think either the Yak or Edge are great at performing harriers. However my Yaks seem to have a longer tail moment, so yes I expect them to be better than the Edge in a harrier.

With these planes and some headwind, the rudder is a bit more pronounced in a harrier allowing people to do this with some forward velocity.
However IMHO a true 3D plane is designed for this sort of thing and tends to be rock stable with no additional wind to help.

The CMP Edge has a blunt fuselage shape as viewed from the botom, also not lending itself well to harriers.

That Seagull has a thinner fuse cross section towards the tail, which may aid it but I have not flown it.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Falcon32

The harrier is something I wish to learn and peform well with a scale (not 3d ) type plane.
I have seen both the Yak and Extra260 do these really well.
Over all I prefer the appearence of the Extra.
Can somone help out here, I need to let Santa know which one to send

Falcon