Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Global Freestyle 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Global Freestyle 3D

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Abraxxas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Freestyle 3D

I purchased one of these planes and am just posting a bit of info on mine with my current setup for others to compare to. This is an excellent plane all around, flys great at all speeds and the only bad habit I have found yet is a tendancy to tip stall if you yank back too fast on high rates (45 degrees or more of elev.). I have an OS .91 Four stroke on mine and have tried APC 14x6 which works well but tried and like much more a Zinger 14x5 wood prop. Spools up instantly, as fast as I can push the throttle up being a very light prop, has a touch better vertical acceleration and slows the plane down a bit better for final. This engine combo is perfect, unlimited vertical, hovers @ 1/2 throttle and climbs out of a hover nicely. I fly it at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle on horizontal and 3/4 to full on upward vert lines, getting 20-25 min flight times no problem using the tank that came with the plane. Airtronics RD6000 Super with HiTech 77oz .16 sec servos on everything and is super. Slows down nice, can land tail wheel first with CoG at recommended placement and am going to move CoG back more now. Great Knife edge spins, rolling circles, hovering, torque rolls, cant get it to flat spin yet but havent moved CoG back yet either, will see soon. Definately go with Global Sukhoi gear @ $10 for added ground clearance with big four strokes as stock is quite low and you can bend the sukhoi gear together to get a better angle of attack on the ground for easier takeoffs, and the wheelpants fit this gear nicely too. Coupling flapperons to this plane makes for outstanding low speed and takeoff/landings. I've had this thing for about a month and a half and so far two others from my club have ordered them. For $150 bucks you cant go wrong, I'm ordering another too Have over 50 flights on this plane and love every one of them. Would recommend this to anybody as a second or third plane that is easy to fly at sport throws and you can get crazy with it at high throws, knife edges beautiful at 1/2 throttle on the deck... this thing is great!! Knife edge cuban 8's and all, no tendancy to push or pull towards canopy or gear on knife edge
Old 07-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Abraxxas

Default CG change...

Last night I moved my CG back from 3.5" to 4.5" 1/2" at a time then flying it... this is definately what it needed It'll hold inverted with no stick now, knife-edge at 1/4 throttle then I can roll on a little power and more rudder and do knife-edge cuban 8's easy. It was windy so I couldnt try much hovering but the little I did up higher seemed much more stable and I was able to hold it into a crosswind hovering leaned over 45 degrees on knife into the wind and it stayed without rocking or falling out, does good pop-ups without dropping a wing and great knife-edge spins. I'll post more when I fly it in the calm!!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you are having fun. Its my preferred plane, like it so much I'm buying another (on sale $139) to keep as a spare.

You seem to be one heck of a flyer, I'm still working my way up to your level, glad to know that I can do those things with this plane...
Old 07-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Welsh3D

I fly mine on a YS 63. Some of the stuff it does is incredible. I have some real top notch show models, and this is one that I can really show off with, it does everything I want it to do, and with some complicated mixing i can get some obsolutely 'unique' maneuvers. Knife Edge loops are superb, torque rolls a doddle, blenders are amazing.

Try the blender and inverted harrier.

The YS 63 is perfect for this freestyle, it's got nice power, but not overpowered. Sounds gorgeous!

I really wish they did a .90 or 1.40 size freestyle!

i'll have a high speed connection within the next two weeks so i'll upload some video of me flying it. I keep considering buying another one, but there's a new, similar model set to be released from model tech in October i believe, which i'll try to wait for.

Here's some pics, sorry I haven't had any taken for a while, which is partially why I mentioned video footage!

And my daring photographer wants me to torque roll on top og him...

Hope you enjoy the pics!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:26 AM
Abraxxas

Nice pics Welsh3D! I'm hoping for a nice day soon with no wind so I can get some good pics and movies of mine like this. Where is your CG on the Freestyle? I just moved mine back, everything is getting good except my harriers... still has some wing rock. Do you have any flap or spoilerons mixed in for harriers? Or maybe I just need to move my CG back more? Its at 4.5" now. I'm hoping to get a good informational thread going on the Freestyle and different setups here, doesnt seem to be much on it yet.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Welsh3D

I use spoilerons in most maneuvers because it wraps them up much neater and getting out is tidier too. This is how i get soem of the unique maneuvers that i talked about... theyre just normal manuevers but with spoilerons this model makes them look so much better!

The only time I use flapperon is in the hover for torque rolling because it helps to get more wash over the tail. For getting shorter take off runs it is handy too, but then i find it just jumps off the floor which isn't really impressive to anyone watching. Yours may be different, I fly from a grass strip and i'm still using the stock undercarriage and spats, which, incidently has proved to be excellent and I wouldn't have changed unless I needed extra prop clearance. I've only bent it slightly once in an accidental deadstick elevator landing! I can imagine if you got the steering a bit messed up on the takeoff run it could buckle.

My prop is a wide blade 12.5x6 . THe wide blade is great for 3d stuff. Only other prop I've tried is an APC 13x6, which was useless! The fuel is model technics dynaglow 16.... only a bog standard sport fuel with 16% oil. I've tried a few fuels, and this one i'm happy with. It's run superbly sicne i changed, and it starts first flick every single time now.

Upright harriers are difficult, it's a characterisitic with most low wingers that they wing rock. The inverted harrier is much nicer, just more difficult to control the rudder if you haven't already got your head around it in that maneuver.

MY CG .. i haven't got a figure, but I think it's around the front of the yellow on the belly pan. It flies perfectly here, and if anything I would move it forward. Rearward CG's aren't nice in 3d models, generally they make 3d maneuvers more stable, but if you go just a little too far you can lose a lot of the performance too. My receiver is just in front of the stock servo tray, all the servos in the stock locations, and the battery is in the exhaust duct rihgt under the firewall. i'll try to get you some figures... i couldn't even take a guess at it right now!

Take care
Old 07-12-2003, 07:18 AM
Brains

Ive seen Nathan fly this plane and it looks mental the stuff it does is incredibal...It was in the evening at weston park he was flying it...i realy wanted ago lolol...

Nice plane...

Regards Dean
Old 07-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Welsh3D

Dean the fiberclassics prices have gone up to £1200 again now. Rich and Andy aren't gettin them now either..... i'll talk to you l8r about what to buy.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:56 AM
Abraxxas

Here is a pic of my freestyle, I added the stripes to the wingtips to aid in seeing it on a white cloudy background and painted the canopy black, took the silver border off it and slide it back till the front edge was only 1/8 inch in front of the dash cutout. Cant seem to figure out how to get more than one pic up right now so this is it :P LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93426_34748.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	53091  
Old 07-21-2003, 09:03 PM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Colors

what did you use to put the additional colors on the wingtips?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:29 AM
Abraxxas

Just some adhesive backed trim strips from my local hobby shop, I saw they had all three colors in stock so just decided to go with it.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:39 AM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

how would a saito 100 do in this plane ,? probly overpowered right?
Old 07-23-2003, 03:47 AM
Abraxxas

I would think too much weight... having big heavy OS .91 Fourstroke in mine, it has plenty of power but I think its too heavy, no room to move the battery pack around without cutting into the rear of the fuselage so I had to put 2 ounces on the tail to make it a bit tail heavy, thus increasing weight instead of changing balance point. I just got a Funtana too and put a Saito .72 Fourstroke in that and it is awesomely light and powerful, even with 3 tanks through it the thing hovers at 1/2 throttle. I think I would like to try my .72 in the freestyle, I think that would be the perfect Saito/Freestyle combo.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Welsh3D

What you need chaps is a YS 63fz. It has enough power for 3d and is still extremely light... People who'e seen me fly my freestyle have been totally amazed by the performance by both vertical, speed, and low speed... the low speed is only available through light weight, and this is really the only engine, apart from .70 class that allows the weight to be this low. I use a 14oz tank in mine, so its around or over 6lb flying weight as a guess.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Gbee

I just ordered a Global Freestyle 40 3D. It's on sale at Hobbypeople.net for $119 (+ $7 for shipping). A pretty good deal. The Sukhoi gear was backordered with no anticipated arrival date. I hope the stock gear can accept a 14 inch prop. I plan on using an OS .70 4- stroke with an APC 14 x 4W. I'll be watchin' this thread for further advice. Are there any other threads on the Freestyle?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Epoxy Cup

Default RE: Global Freestyle 3D

Got my Freestyle about a wek ago. Flew it today very windy day but it was great. I couldnt do to much cause of the wind so will have to wait for dialing in. Otherwise big grin on my face for $99.00 on sale it was a steal. Came in at 5.3lbs. Thats with a big brass acorn on the nose to get the reccomended balance point. I think I will be able to lose it for the aluminimum one, thereby moveing CG back and reducing the weight about an oz. In the inverted it tended to need a little elevator for level so I think it will be OK to move the CG. Can't wait for nice day to really see what the plane can do.