Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

setup for the perfect knife edge

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

setup for the perfect knife edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setup for the perfect knife edge

wondering what type of setuo people are using for that perfect knife edge. by setup i mean have you put any right thrust or up thrust to the engine. where about do you have the battery and rec. located?

i had an np extra 260 that did the perfect knife edge, i didnt need any right thrust didnt need to mix in any elevator while doing the knife edge.

now however i have other planes that just dont want to fly the knife very straight or smooth. they want to of course follow in the direction of the landing gear.

whats the best way to correct this without adding mixing while doing a knife edge. my radio is a fut. 6exp and doesnt allow that type of mixing. i will ad some pics of the planes im flying that need some knife edge correcting.

i love to fly knife edge but seem to have some issues getting them setup so all i need to do is roll right or left then hold the rudder without using elevator. my nitroplanes extra 260 did it so i know these can do it also just need some advice.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM
TruBlu02

Default RE: setup for the perfect knife edge

It really depends on aircraft design. Almost any aerobatic plane on the market will fly knife edge flight with the right CG and control inputs. CG tends to be the most important. A more rearward CG will tend to make knife edge flight easier but will not correct for the plane pulling towards the gear. I have a Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP that will fly the prettiest knife edge I have ever seen. My GP Reactor flys a great knife edge as well but requires elevator inputs to fly straight. Some airaft will simply not fly a perfect knife edge with out mixing or inputs. Set your CG back a bit then experiment with different elevator throws and exponential to figure a combo that requires the least amount of input to hold the airplane in staright knife edge flight.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

will try to shift the battery. thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

there is a lot of things, power, airframe, radio setup and most important i think CG. Most of the time small electric airplanes does KE amazing, different than giant scale, etc...but is possible to make them perfect too, just require mor work.