Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine for a Seagull Edge 540

As stated in the title, I have a Seagull Edge 540 (60 size). Currently I have a Saito 100 in it and I am not happy with the power. It flies fine, but is under powered. It takes full throttle to hover, and even then she wants to fall out of the sky. The prop is a Vess 14x6. I was thinking about a 26cc gasser, but one, don't know if it will fit in the cowl, and two, is it any stronger than the 100? Should I go with a 120 four stroker? I am open to suggestions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Engine for a Seagull Edge 540

The prop for 3D on the Saito 100 is a 15x6 Xoar or MAS S2. That might get you a pound more thrust

The 120 Saito weighs an ounce more than the current Saito 180.
    Next logical step is the 125 Saito with a 16x6. Gas adds a lot of weight which is what you are trying to overcome.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Cowboy Chris,

I have a YS110S fixed to a Seagull Edge 540 60; terrific combination. I had to put a 15 X6 APC prop on engine to slow down the airplane a bit; even then, do most of flying at half-throttle. Verticals at full throttle are literally "out-of-sight." I very much enjoy this airplane, and think it great value for the money. Hope these comments are helpful in ensuring you enjoy your Seagull Edge 540.

Happy flying!
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I mis-typed earlier - the prop I am using is a 15x6 Vess (not a 14x6). Does a YS-110 really put out that much more power than a Saito 100? I am willing to try something new, but don't want to plop down hundreds of $'s for a marginal improvement. I want to be able to hover near the ground and be able to pull out of it when I get in trouble.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YS110 is very slightly more power than a Saito 125 and at the same time slightly more temperamental.
    The Saito weighs 2 oz. less and would be my choice for that airframe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A friend of mine had one of these with a OS 120AX and it was balistic! I am a big fan of 4 strokes but this was a better combo than you could get with any 4 stroke.
    Never take life to serriously. You will never get out alive!
    Rever Bro #195