RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Katana 50 by Hangar 9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/10990985-katana-50-hangar-9-a.html)

Fikeies 03-07-2012 10:52 PM

Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Does anyone have any experience with Hangar 9's Katana 50? I'm looking for a plane that could give my Saito 82 a home and also a plane that can give me an entry level sized taste of 3D. I have a Pilot RC Yak 30cc on the build table but think I might want get a little more experience from the Katana before I maiden my Yak. I'd love to thear about any experience you may have had with one or even if you've seen one at the flying field and may have formed an opinion by watching it fly. Thanks in advance!!!
<br type="_moz" />

Mustangman40 03-26-2012 04:48 PM

RE: Katana 50 by Hangar 9

I just picked up one today for my Saito 72 that needed a new home after wrecking my Reactor yesterday. I will let you know what i think............

Fikeies 03-26-2012 05:13 PM

That would be great, thank you.  Feel free to post pics!:)

Mustangman40 03-27-2012 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Fikeies

That would be great, thank you. Feel free to post pics!:)

Well I have to say this is a nice plane so far, very well done... The only changes I have made so far is the Wheels and hinges.. I fly off of grass so the crappy little foam wheels that most arf's come with don't cut it. I went with a hangar 9 light 2.75, they worked on my Reactor so they should do the trick on the Katana..

I also shucked the CA hinges as I do on all my arf's, I am just not a fan of them and prefer a pin hinge.. It's an easy change on arf's like this, they already have the slit cut for ca hinges so you just need to open up a bit.. I took pics of how i did mine if you plan on going that way.. I have silky smooth control surfaces and a nice tight hinge gap..

The fuse is wide open when you take off the canopy/turtle deck and I mean wide open, lots of room to work and easy access to fuel tank andradio gear. It's a big plus!! The stab is pretty nice to, I love that it is twopiece glued in on a CF tube, instead of one piece, much easier to install with out getting epoxy everywhere..

On mine the CF tube on the wing was to tight, you could get it on but might not get it back apart with out breaking something.. A quick sand with some 400 grit and she slides in nice now, still tight, but easy enough to get apart..

This plane also has some crazy right hand thrust built in, I will get some numbers on it, but it's a lot.. Here are a few pics, I will take more tomorrow when It's done..

Jimbo

Fikeies 03-27-2012 04:58 PM

Looks nice! Thanks for posting those.  Cant wait for progress updates.

daveopam 03-28-2012 06:35 AM

That right thrust does not look out of line to me. Seems about right.

david

Mustangman40 03-28-2012 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: daveopam

That right thrust does not look out of line to me. Seems about right.

david
Hey Dave,
I will put a meter on it today just to see what the numbers are..

I did all my fuel proofing last night, going to mount my motor on it today. Should have it in the air by the weekend...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

Mustangman40 03-30-2012 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics.........

I about have this done, just need to balance, adjust throws and decals..

The CG is3.5" per the manual and they said that having the battery where they showed it and where I put ityou would be pretty close to them numbers, MYAZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!! Right now with the way it is in the pics, it's way tail heavy, a Ni starter and prop wrench wasn't enough, it's what was on the bench in reach..lol I will move the battery to the nose and see what else I will need, I do have an aluminum spinner on order. The spinner and prop nut is heavier then the temp I have on there now, so it should help..

Few things I did..

I added a remote starter and put it up top where it's nice and easy to use, I don't mind the extra hole.. I went with a fuel dot to keep the easy thyme going..lol
I also ran the Crank vent tube into the fuse and exited it aft the wings to help cut down on the mess...
The servos in the back are Hyperion Atlas Micros, you have to use micros on the elv. and I am glad of that. The balancing issue would be much worse had I been able to use standard servos..
I will take morepics when she is ready for the air..........

daveopam 03-30-2012 02:32 PM

I've got a Saito 1.00 that would help with the balance. LOL

NOT trying to tell you what to do. BUT, you might think about making more exit area for hot air in the bottom of the cowl. It may be fine as is, but check the engine temp after a few minutes in the air. If you start to have hot problems, this is the area I would look at first.

David

Mustangman40 03-30-2012 04:10 PM

I've got a Saito 1.00 that would help with the balance. LOL

NOT trying to tell you what to do. BUT, you might think about making more exit area for hot air in the bottom of the cowl. It may be fine as is, but check the engine temp after a few minutes in the air. If you start to have hot problems, this is the area I would look at first.

David
Want to trade a saito 72 for a 100......lol

On the cooling.
I plan on making some more exits, just trying to do it and not have a flimsy cowl when I am done...lol I need all the weight I can get up front...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Mustangman40 03-31-2012 09:25 AM

I moved the 1700Mh battery pack as far forward as I can and I still need 8oz in the nose to balance..

Hangar 9 if full ofcrap if you ask me, no way it will balance without adding weight.. The Saito 72 that I installed is the same weight as the 82, I added heavier wheels and a remote start to the front (I know that's not a lot of weight) and I used micros in the tail which are lighter then the JR 6060 that they used.... Not sure what else can be done besides adding weight to the nose....

Question for those smarter then me, trust me there are many...lol

If I add another 1500mh pack and a 600mh pack, she balances.. My question is this.

The 1500, can I put that on a "Y" harness and add it to my 1700 that is in there, will both batteries charge from my one charge jack on my MPI switch? Now the 600mh pack, can I wire that one to my remote ni starter and hook it to another switch? Turn on the switch to start the motor, then turn it off after it starts, no more using a ni starter on this plane?

I'm just trying to add useful extra weight instead of lead. Ant thoughts would be appreciated..

Jimbo

Mustangman40 03-31-2012 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm an idiot, I had one of my balancer rulers set wrong. One was set at 4 3/4" and the other was at 4 1/4"http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../red_smile.gif
The manual states that anywhere between 4 3/8" to 4 3/4" is fine, I was shooting for the 4 3/4".. I still did have to put some lead in the nose, 2.16oz.. I will chalk that up to the hinges and glue I used on all the control surfaces, but in my mind it's worth it... I added the weight to the motor box opposite of the motor to help with balancing it latterly, that and moving some things around inside got that taken care of....

She is out of the shop and ready for it's maiden tomorrow. I willlet y'all knowhow she does tomorrow night and maybe a vid too...

Jimbo

daveopam 03-31-2012 06:20 PM

I would mount the battery where you have the lead. That may make the CG too far forward though. However, if it's anything like the Funtana 40 or 50X that I have owned. They flew better with the CG behind the recommended range anyway. So after you get it trimmed with it as is. you may try taking the lead out one at a time.

David

Mustangman40 04-01-2012 05:35 AM

I would mount the battery where you have the lead. That may make the CG too far forward though. However, if it's anything like the Funtana 40 or 50X that I have owned. They flew better with the CG behind the recommended range anyway. So after you get it trimmed with it as is. you may try taking the lead out one at a time.

David
Thanks for the tip Dave.
Right now the battery is inside the motor box, you can see thestrap holding it, If I mount where the lead is it would move forward maybe a 1/2". It might be enough to allow me to get rid of the lead and will work well for balancinglatterly... Being that this is glow and a messy 4 stroke to boot, fuel will be a concern..
Question, I vacuum seal a lot of things at my house. What if I did it tothe battery, see any problems with it being almost totally air tight? It won't be totally sealed as I will have my wiregoing into the motor box, but I could keep fuelout of it... Thoughts please.

daveopam 04-01-2012 06:37 AM

I don't see a problem as long as it can breath a little. I am no battery expert though. I had one that was in a zip loc bag mounted in the nose of the plane. The only hole in it was where the lead ran out. It never gave me any trouble.

Since your battery is already in the motor box moving it out side is not going to do a lot. 1/2" is only going to help a little. Sounds like you are ready for the maiden. After 20 flights or so when you get a feel for it, then tinker with the CG. If you do more sport than 3D the CG could be in a good place for already.

Be sure and post how the maiden went.

David

Mustangman40 04-01-2012 06:39 PM

Well the maiden is done and in a word, AWESOME!!

Got 4 flights on the Katana today and I was impressed, hangar9 has a hit with this plane..

Ground handling was fine, taxied it around once and pointed it into the wind. She tracked real nice an just a tad of right rudder was needed once the tail came up. She took to the air nice and easy and looked great doing it. I needed one click on the elv. and one click on the ail. and she was flying hands off.. It was a little windy today but the Katana flew great with it, she really cuts through nice and goes where you tell it to...
I set mine up on triple rates, low, high and crazyand just used low for the first flight and did notice that more rudder is needed on low rates for good knife edges, they did say this in the manual. The plane tracked very well in loops and rolls were nice as well, mild but nice...
Landing this plane was as much fun as flying it,great control at slow speeds and not a floater like my Reactor was.. I tried different approaches, steep angles, long low approaches and each was very predictable,she responds nice to the throttle allowingmeto control my altitudewiththe left stick for a change... I always said the reactor was a nice plane but didn't care forhow it handled landing in the wind, the Katana is much better in this department, a true joy to land...

High rates is when the Katana went from nice to Awesome... Snap rolls were mind blowing and recovery was down right sexy..lol Rolls and outside loops were a blast and knife edges across the whole field looked great at high speed and low speeds.. I never clicked into crazy rates, next time out for sure. I wanted to get it home and go over all the screws and make sure everything was good.. I did have two of the cowl screws come loose even though I used a little locktite on them, I will take care of them in the shop... Also, with the landing gear located where they are, turnarounds on windy days in grass are not a problem, the Katana sticks to the ground very well... The saito 72 had plenty of power, yesthe 82 would be better, but the 72 pulledher around great.I got a vidon my buddies phone and will post it tomorrow when he sends it to me. Well there you have it, if you were on the fence with this plane, trust me, get one...

Jimbo

wyo69cowboy 04-02-2012 06:19 AM

Looks nice! What did your all up weight end up at?

Mustangman40 04-02-2012 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Looks nice! What did your all up weight end up at?
I have to get my scale back from my brother in-law and will weigh it this week. It flies light but yet handles the wind like a much bigger and heavier plane, pretty happy with it as you can tell from my last post...lolhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

fanoffive0 04-02-2012 08:02 AM

Any chance for video?
Thanks...

Mustangman40 04-02-2012 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: fanoffive0

Any chance for video?
Thanks...
My buddy got one on his phone, let me see how it came out after he sends it to me. If it's not good I will get one with the camera and post it up.............http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

wyo69cowboy 04-02-2012 09:44 AM

I had the Reactor with a Saito .82; lightened a bit with carbon tube and gear, and really liked it. I like the looks of this plane too; we just raffled one at our swap meet, but I didn't win :(

Mustangman40 04-02-2012 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

I had the Reactor with a Saito .82; lightened a bit with carbon tube and gear, and really liked it. I like the looks of this plane too; we just raffled one at our swap meet, but I didn't win :(

Just in the flights I had on the Katana yesterday, I like it better then my Reactor.. It just seamed cleaner in the air and much smoother.. My buddy flew it as well and said the same thing.........

daveopam 04-02-2012 11:56 AM

Congrates on the maiden!!! Sounds like a fun plane. The way you described the landing, i would say you could ease the CG back of you wanted to 3D a little harder.
What prop are you running? 13X4W or 13X6??

david

Mustangman40 04-02-2012 12:16 PM

Congrates on the maiden!!! Sounds like a fun plane. The way you described the landing, i would say you could ease the CG back of you wanted to 3D a little harder.
What prop are you running? 13X4W or 13X6??

david
Hey Dave,
I have a 13x4W on it right now,the 72 reallylikes that prop As far as the CG, when I put my tru turn spinner on I should be able to loose the lead, some of it anyway.. Not sure how much the prop nut weights, but it will help having it so far forward of the CG, I will keep you posted on how it goes.
My buddy did a couple tumbles and hovered it and I did some walls, it was windy and I don't have any expo set up yet, so I will let you know how it is in that department next time out...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Marlo99 04-02-2012 11:33 PM

Do any of you guys think a Saito 91 would be too much engine for this plane? I have a 91 needing a home and I really like this plane. Thanks.