RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Red Wing, Pilot, Extreme Flight? First 3D plane. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/11166263-red-wing-pilot-extreme-flight-first-3d-plane.html)

7kings 07-23-2012 01:51 PM

Red Wing, Pilot, Extreme Flight? First 3D plane.

Hey guys - I'm looking to get into 3D flying and I'm looking for a good plane for learning. I'm a fairly good aerobatic and scale pilot, but have only ever done 3D on the sim. That being said, I'm hoping that you guys can help point me in the right direction in terms of the best plane for me. I'm looking to learn basic 3D (hover, elevator, parachute, knife-edge, etc...) as well as some precision flight. I've been looking at a number of different models and manufacturers and am more confused than when I started. I would like to be in the 30cc class (also my first gas plane).

These have made the top of my list so far:

Pilot RC 26% Yak 54
Red Wing MX2 30cc

Both seem to have their pros and cons (I've heard that the Pilot Yak requires firewall modifications to accommodate the DLE-30 rear-carb), but I'd really like to know what you guys think. In addition, don't be shy about suggesting something I haven't considered - all input is appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

jasburrito 07-24-2012 05:00 AM

RE: Red Wing, Pilot, Extreme Flight? First 3D plane.

Start with a profile

7kings 07-24-2012 10:05 AM

Thanks - I actually considered an Aero-Works profile 260 20cc initially, but I just can't seem to convince myself to like the appearance of a profile plane. After speaking with several folks at my field, I've been urged to turn my eyes towards a 30cc-class scale plane.

Since my original post, I've actually decided on and ordered the Redwing 30cc MXSR, which I've heard nothing but good things about. Thank you very much for your input.

-Brian<br type="_moz"/>

acerc 07-24-2012 03:10 PM

Enjoy that Redwing you will. But if you trulywant 3D,going to the dark side eventually you will.</p>

7kings 07-24-2012 03:35 PM

:D haha - you're probably right...

KWJ48 07-24-2012 04:54 PM

Profiles are not about looks. They are about flying 3D and having fun doing it without the pucker factor.

Uncas 07-24-2012 04:55 PM

Don't compromise, get both.

Desertlakesflying 07-24-2012 04:58 PM

I have the Redwing MXS-R and I love it. It does everything I want it to with ease, even with the OS 160 in it.

7kings 07-24-2012 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

Profiles are not about looks. They are about flying 3D and having fun doing it without the pucker factor.
Oh, I know that. That's the only reason I even considered one. In the end, however, I couldn't bring myself to buy a plane I don't like looking at...

7kings 07-24-2012 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

I have the Redwing MXS-R and I love it. It does everything I want it to with ease, even with the OS 160 in it.
I'm glad to hear that. Actually, your build thread of the MXS-R was one of the contributing factors of my decision to buy one. I've got to say, I've read a LOT of reviews about Redwing, their planes, and their customer service, and Idon't expect to be disappointed. From what I understand, they run a top-notch show over there.

kerwin50 07-28-2012 12:00 PM

If your going for a 30 cc size plane there is one and only one 3DHS Slick.

Desertlakesflying 07-30-2012 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and if you go with the MXS-R and want to put smoke in it. The Seagull Models 20oz tank (SEA9005) will fit right under the fuel tank in the hole for an exhaust. Link wouldn't work.

7kings 07-31-2012 05:59 AM

Very nice, although depending on how loud the engine is, I may decide to put a canister there.

Smoke would definitely be cool, though...

Desertlakesflying 07-31-2012 01:55 PM

If you do buy from Redwing let Tim know one of the contributing factors of your decision was my build thread please.

7kings 07-31-2012 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

If you do buy from Redwing let Tim know one of the contributing factors of your decision was my build thread please.
Already bought it, but I'll be happy to drop him a line and let him know.

TimBle 08-07-2012 01:21 PM

A profile is not much cheaper than the MXS-R but it will fly more easily in the 3d Mode thanks to lighter wing loading. It just gives you more time to get into the stick movements, especially if you fly mode 2.<div>
</div><div>excellent choice on the RedWing/Goldwing/RedAero/EG MXS-R. They fly beautifully and I believe parts are supported well by RedAero.</div>

flyboy9994 08-09-2012 06:07 PM

I was under the impression the MXS-R was more of an IMAC type plane than a 3D plane?

MXS-R is one of the most beautiful planes I have seen and want one bad but that Redwing 30cc SBach in the blue scheme stole my heart big time! Going to be my first 30cc plane. Probably end up getting both anyway...

Congrats 7kings... What color? Were going to see a build thread right?

BarracudaHockey 08-10-2012 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: flyboy9994

I was under the impression the MXS-R was more of an IMAC type plane than a 3D plane
Yea, mine will barely 3D at all :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRynJ9d_dNg[/youtube]

zacharyR 08-10-2012 05:57 AM

Nice flying Andy [8D]

7kings 08-10-2012 06:13 AM

Congrats7kings... What color?Were going to see a build thread right?
Thanks Flyboy - I bought the yellow. I was originally thinking of doing a pseudo-Nigel Lamb / Breitling scheme, but I think I'm just going to do a couple wing designs to spruce-up the yellow regions on the top of the wings instead. It's a beautiful plane, and even prettier in person!

7kings 08-10-2012 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I was under the impression the MXS-R was more of an IMAC type plane than a 3D plane
Yea, mine will barely 3D at all :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRynJ9d_dNg[/youtube]
Wow, Andy - that's some impressive flying! Very nice. (Oh, and way-cool flying site, by the way - are those active cooling towers or is it some sort of decommissioned plant?)

BarracudaHockey 08-10-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks, they are cooling towers but its a coal fired power plant. There's some better views in this go-pro I did for another project...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIGEay0D0w[/youtube]

Back on topic :)