RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Confused (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/11202841-confused.html)

Rubbernecker 08-22-2012 07:02 PM

Confused

O.K. tonight I was flying a Funtana 90 that has 4 -5 hours air time. Something strange was happening that I have never experienced. Plane flying from left to right on the up lines it pulled to the left. Torque so you add right rudder or right thrust, but plane flying from right to left, on the up line plane pulled to the right. Pulled to the left in one direction and right in the other direction. What in the world would cause that? Other than that, nothing seemed wrong!

John

speedracerntrixie 08-22-2012 07:44 PM

RE: Confused

John, while you are flying paralell to the runway in either direction the inside wing is low. When you pull vertical it is going the direction of the low wing. It's kind of an optical illusion thing. Try flying directly away from yourself so you can see that the wings are level and see what it does. You will need a little right rudder as you round the corner to the vert but ease off once vertical and it should go true for about 100 ft. If not then adjust thrust angle accordingly.

nitro wing 08-22-2012 08:41 PM

SRT has a good point
Also check to make sure the motor mounts are tight and not shifting around, make sure firewall is secure.

Mr67Stang 08-23-2012 05:00 AM

Cross wind:D

Rubbernecker 08-23-2012 08:02 AM

Not sure what you mean by "inner wing". Too many attempts, 15 - 20, with the exact same results. Wings had to have been level in some of those attempts, but it always pulled to the direction as indicated. I will try the coming towards me and going away.

I agree on the thrust but that would have only helped on the left to right up lines. Right to left and it would have been worse!

Mount and firewall are tight.

No, there was no cross wind. Wind was zero.

John

speedracerntrixie 08-23-2012 06:03 PM

John, by inboard wing I mean the wing closest to you. No matter how many passes you make, if you preceive the wings to be level then the results will always be the same. I have been flying and coaching IMAC and pattern for 14 years and always get guys back to the basics before we tackle a sequence. From a ground perspective level flight will look like the airplane is banked away from the pilot. next time you go flying try some passes that appear to have the wings slightly banked away from you. It will take some getting used to but you will see the difference. Once you train your eyes to see this you will see lots of guys flying with the wings slightly banked and they will be fading in at the ends of the field as well. Once you can fly wings level do some humpty bumps and/or 1/2 cuban eights as turn around manuevers.

Rubbernecker 08-25-2012 05:42 AM

Will give it a try! Weather here stinks today. [&o]

Thanks,

John

Charlie P. 08-25-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Cross wind:D
You beat me to that first idea that popped into my head. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif.

gene6029 08-26-2012 06:38 AM

John, have a friend stand out at the end of the field, And then you fly towards him, what you believe to be wings level ( parallel to the flight line )and then ask if your wings were level. Chances are you are flying with the wing closest to you slightly low. Then as you pull to verticle the plane will naturally fly in towards the low wing on the verticle line...(.what SRT);) said.......Gene

Rubbernecker 08-26-2012 07:25 AM

I hear ya and will try all of this next time I fly, but for the life I me, I'm confused. Week ago, same plane, pretty much same conditions and she was flying great! Vertical up lines only needed right rudder to compensate torque (in both directions). Tail slides were just beautiful a couple 3 - 4 plane lengths. Loops nice and round tracking fairly well and stall turns great as well. So far, the explinations seems to be the only logical one?????? Great to hear from you Gene. You doing o.k.? The School Boy build kinda tinkered out. I have a hard time building in the flying season. Been heading to the field a couple of times a week and flying till dark, so it doesn't leave much room for building. Also been flying my Powered Parachute when conditions allow. Life is good! Take care.

John

gene6029 08-26-2012 01:22 PM

John, I'm doing fine, thanks. Hope you are doing well also. I cant bring myself to build over the summer either. I'll finish the Schoolboy as soon as the weather turns crappy here. The VRCS posted their theme planes for 2013 & 14, checit out. Look foreward to seeing you at next years event. Hope you get your problem figured out with the up lines....Gene