RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/2524947-fliton-extra-330-freestyle-whos-got-one.html)

southern_touch9 04-10-2005 06:22 AM

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

ouch!! a 4.5 oz battery!! I got rid of NiCd's a while back and all I have is Li-ion's. I dunno if it will balance with the 2.7 oz battery I have picked out for it.

sknx 04-11-2005 12:33 AM

Yeah it's kind of heavy but I don't like the Lipos and I saved the extra weight with a custom muffler.

southern_touch9 04-11-2005 06:23 AM

I have heard several people say that they dont like Lithium batteries. Why is that?? With todays chargers its hard to burn them up. If you save weight and get to fly say 3-4 times as much off of one single charge then ????

sknx 05-03-2005 08:19 PM

I just got a second Extra. Not too many flights with the first one due to foam debris over the runway. Hope I'll be luckier this time and manage to post some more thoughts about the plane characteristics.

LSP972 05-10-2005 08:32 AM

<<...foam debris over the runway...>>

LOL. I heard that. Why can't people keep those things in parks???

Drumbum, that was probably me you read griping about the Yak and wind. I loved that airplane during the build and first flights- which were on a calm day. Man, I was so happy; what a beautiful model that flew like a dream!

The next outing had 15-20 knot wind; talk about squirrelly, and it was all I could do to get it on the ground safely. I've got 40-size sporters that handle wind better. So much for the old adage that lighter planes "fly" better. Perhaps from a purely aerodynamical perspective; but from a reality perspective? There is such a thing as TOO light...

tIANci 05-10-2005 11:53 AM

I finally got mine up weekend before last. Its pretty ok to fly on a Saito 72, it can perform all the IMAC manuevers but would be better with a Saito 82. I then switched from 13x6 to 12x8 and from 15% heli fuel to 30% heli fuel. She is just right now! Its so true that there is hardly any coupling for KE. The hammerheads are so crisp. Only gripe I have with this plane is how stupid it is not to have anything to secure the hatch properly.

You guys should see my pal's plane, he has a Saito 100 in it ... totally Ballastic!!! Roll out of about 15' only and then its pure vertical enjoyment. I am happy with my set up ... she flies aerobatics and pattern so well.

badfish 06-15-2005 02:56 PM

what size spinner you guys using on it?

STG 06-15-2005 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

The next outing had 15-20 knot wind; talk about squirrelly, and it was all I could do to get it on the ground safely. I've got 40-size sporters that handle wind better. So much for the old adage that lighter planes "fly" better. Perhaps from a purely aerodynamical perspective; but from a reality perspective? There is such a thing as TOO light...
To me it is easier to add weight than subtract it. Just add ballast to get it to your liking--I do this on the sim all the time to help bring out the bad habits in a plane.

tIANci 06-16-2005 05:57 AM

badfish - I got too much clearance on mine to balance her so I don't use any spinner, my pal uses a 2.5".

drumbum 06-16-2005 06:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

<<...foam debris over the runway...>>

LOL. I heard that. Why can't people keep those things in parks???

Drumbum, that was probably me you read griping about the Yak and wind. I loved that airplane during the build and first flights- which were on a calm day. Man, I was so happy; what a beautiful model that flew like a dream!

actually it was EXTRA ADDICT at our field, and i have heard it around the web a few times.. the times i flew the YAK it was calm. mainly because if its windy he leaves it at home.

badfish 06-16-2005 07:33 PM

thanks tianci. I'm going with the 100 in mine. should get my plane in a couple days can't wait!

tIANci 06-16-2005 08:43 PM

badfish - please do not forget to reinforce the firewall and the engine mounting box. That part of the plane is a little weak, it can start to fall apart due to the vibration, mine came apart slowly and I am only using a Saito 72.

southern_touch9 06-18-2005 06:52 AM

My question is this. How did you guys mount your motors??? Sideways or upside down?? I want to mount mine upside down but the physics dont look right. The clunk will be higer than the carb (noticably higer) and in the past this has always caused my planes to flood b/c of the syphoning effect.. My thought was to cut out some of that bracing in there and drop the tank below the wing tube??? And of course repairing the fix afterward.

EXTRA ADDICT 06-18-2005 07:23 AM

I mounted my tank in the stock location with the motor inverted and I have had no problems.

tIANci 06-18-2005 10:31 AM

Southern - DO NOT mount the engine sideways, its totally FUGLY! Go for an inverted mount, I have no problems at all too. Anyways, the plane has not much space to do much modification.

I have been flying mine a lot more now and I have taken the CG back to a point where it will fly inverted hands off. As with that setting when the tank is 20% full, the plane will start to get twitchy. This is one lovely plane to fly.

rino 07-01-2005 04:46 PM

Hi Extra Addict,

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. How did your CG come out with the heavier OS 91. I have a YS 91 Lying around and I was thinking about going that way. It weighs about the same as your OS. Do you think it would fly better lighter? In your previous posts you seemed to like how it 3d's with the heavier motor though. Just wanted to get your opinion before I mounted the YS.

Thanks,

Rino

rino 07-01-2005 04:48 PM

Hi Tanic,

Did you ever try the YS 110. I was thinking of putting my YS 91 on this plane.

Thanks,

Rino

Fletch124 07-01-2005 05:25 PM

Can some one please tell me how it does harriers, hovering, rolling harriers, rolling harrier circles, snaps, parachutes, torque rolls? Thanks

STG 07-01-2005 06:17 PM

http://www.fliton.com/new/doc/frame.asp

Gallery & Movie

Nitro Power

Fliton Extra Freestyle

Click on Movie 1

There are no walls or parachutes, but it has plenty of the rest. Looks good.

drumbum 07-01-2005 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

Can some one please tell me how it does harriers, hovering, rolling harriers, rolling harrier circles, snaps, parachutes, torque rolls? Thanks
Like a funtana should,, this plane flies like a 80 incher almost.. all surfaces are airfoiled.. building has a few small hurdles but afterwards you will be rewarded..

drumbum 07-01-2005 06:26 PM

put it this way it will do everything a funtana will and you can also fly precision as well where the funtana lacks

Fletch124 07-01-2005 06:30 PM

Sweet i'll check that vid. Thanks alot you guys. Greatly appreciated.

yeah Drumbum you can see that i'm pretty much not going to get a Showtime.:D;)

drumbum 07-01-2005 06:41 PM

yea ,, just stick to what you can afford , thats what i have to do. everytime ive spent all of my money with nothing extra to spend on a plane something happens like a crash or i have to end up buying something that will take me another month to get the money for:eek:

STG 07-01-2005 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: drumbum
put it this way it will do everything a funtana will and you can also fly precision as well where the funtana lacks
I am banking on the Fliton to be stronger on its side also

Fletch124 07-02-2005 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: drumbum

yea ,, just stick to what you can afford , thats what i have to do. everytime ive spent all of my money with nothing extra to spend on a plane something happens like a crash or i have to end up buying something that will take me another month to get the money for:eek:

yeah yeah true true. I don't have a job but if i did then i'd be lookin at a 25%. I might end up working at my dads office making orthotics and prosthetics(fake arms and fake legs).