RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/2524947-fliton-extra-330-freestyle-whos-got-one.html)

RVM 10-12-2006 02:56 PM

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

Did anyone epoxy the CF wing tube in place in the fuse or just leave it loose?

rclement 10-12-2006 03:12 PM

I was going to leave mine loose, well for now anyway. I can always glue it later. Did you get the hardware for the rudder? Can't think of what it's called at the moment. It's a bolt type thing and an articulating end fitting that the pull pull system works with. (?) I didn't get any with the plane I got.
Also I was wondering if most people set it up with a pull pull system for the rudder and have the rudder servo in the cockpit part of the fuse and then put both the elevator servos in the tail?

RVM 10-12-2006 03:19 PM

I am most likely putting the rudder servo in the stock location in the cockpit, with a pull-pull system and put the two elevator servos in the fuse. They won't really be in the tail, but probably about 4" in front of the horizontal stab. The reason for this is because I will be using my JR DS811s (unless I can find some good used DS3421s) and they are too deep to fit far back in the fuse with one on either side. I could stagger them, but I hate that. I'm using very stiff CF pushrods from Central Hobbies with 2-56 fittings so I'm not concerned about flex with such a short distance.

I didn't get any rudder horns either, unless they intended for me to use the ****ty red ones that they supplied for the elevators and ailerons. I haven't counted them but it looks like they included enough for all the surfaces. I am not using them. I did get some steel cable and couplers and whatnot though. I've got a DuBro .40-.91 HD adjustable dual horn for the rudder and 4 DuBro .40-.91 HD adjustable single horns for the elevators and ailerons. For the pull-pull connection I'm using a pull-pull system from DHS. It's kevlar coated with some kind of nylon or silicon to prevent wear. I might get some turnbuckles to make adjustment easy, but I haven't really found any I like. I'm open to suggestions on turnbuckles for sure.

ORIGINAL: rclement

I was going to leave mine loose, well for now anyway. I can always glue it later. Did you get the hardware for the rudder? Can't think of what it's called at the moment. It's a bolt type thing and an articulating end fitting that the pull pull system works with. (?) I didn't get any with the plane I got.
Also I was wondering if most people set it up with a pull pull system for the rudder and have the rudder servo in the cockpit part of the fuse and then put both the elevator servos in the tail?

RVM 10-12-2006 03:30 PM

HAH! I think I lost one of the CA hinges inside the vertical stab. LOL [X(]

tIANci 10-13-2006 03:40 AM

RVM - *klunk* *klunk* *klunk* *klunk* ... hehehee

RVM 10-13-2006 03:46 AM

I dunno what it is really. When you shake the fuselage really hard you can hear a slight noise in the vertical stab. It doesn't sound like wood rattling in there, so I figured it might be a hinge, and I am missing one right now... There is also a rattling in the horizontal stab, and this sounds like a couple of small pieces of wood shaking around in there. I'm hoping it's just stuff the builders left in when they sheeted it. It feels strong enough.

rclement 10-16-2006 08:03 AM

Just wondering if the Futaba 3004's will work on the elevators?

RVM 10-16-2006 08:06 AM

They should. A pair of them yes?

rclement 10-16-2006 10:40 AM

Yeah, I was going to use 2 of them in the tail. I made some cut outs for 2 servos in the tail about 11.2" back from the cockpit area. (Just a guess. I don't have the plane with me) Anyway it was fairly easy to cut it out and back up the inside with balsa stock. So far I've got the cowl all cut out, the tail glued in, the control surfaces CA'd, tinted the canopy, got the servos in the wings, and figured out the CG to determine about where I'm going to put everything. I hope to finish it this week. Maybe I'll get a chance to post some pics tonight. It seems like most of the people that used to post on this thread either don't fly it anymore or have crashed theirs and moved on to something else.

RVM 10-16-2006 10:43 AM

How did you go about tinting your canopy?

I'm still reinforcing the firewall. Going to add the last bit of triangle stock to the inside of the engine box today and glass the outside joints. If I get time I will attach the horizontal stab too.

BoneDoc 10-16-2006 11:38 PM

use lexan paint for RC Cars. Just go to a hobby store that does RC cars and tell them that you want to tint your canopy. They'll point you in the right direction.

rclement 10-17-2006 08:04 AM

Yeah. That's exactly what I did to tint it. It turned out pretty good. I've tried the Rit dye method but have gotten bad results. The paint tint is easier that's for sure.

tIANci 10-17-2006 08:58 AM

Ask the the Tamiya SMOKE paint ( PS31 ), its great, they also have metallic smoke colours! Now you need to cover the outside of the canopy if not the spray will settle on the outside and make it rough. You can use Cling Film or even a little wax to cover. :)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/ps.htm

samstar 10-17-2006 07:06 PM

Bringing up the subject of servos again...I'm wandering what to go for if using the Saito 82 and 2 elev servos.
I've got to buy all the servos specially for this plane so don't want to pay for high performance ones that are overkill for this plane.
I think I'm going for 2 HS-5245MG servos for the elevator (as they are light and will fit back to back in the fuselage). Don't really want to use these all round as will mean I have to edit all the factory cut servo wholes to make them smaller for these servos.
So, any ideas what to do for ailerons, rudder and throttle? Is digital worth it?

Super D 10-17-2006 08:09 PM

Hitec HS-65 would be my choice. Small like the 56's but stronger and Karbonite gears.
I used what I had some 3004's.

RVM 10-18-2006 12:15 AM

I just using what I have laying around. Can always change them out later. DS811s on everything except throttle and rudder. DS821 on rudder and a DS285 on throttle. I use JR obviously. :D My servos are a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but oh well. I don't have the money to go with anything lightweight.

tIANci 10-18-2006 07:21 AM

Super D -you sure the HS65 can work? Have you tried it? I got a lot of them!

RVM 10-18-2006 03:16 PM

What are the little plywood squares that come in the hardware bag used for? They measure about 1"x1"x1/4".

RVM 10-18-2006 08:27 PM

What methods to secure the hatch have worked best?

Super D 10-18-2006 10:19 PM

tIANCi, no I havent tried it but I do have them on a Copperhead Stiffy and it has taken some abuse with no broken gears. I think they would be fine, they might stall in a very fast Wall but I would try it. Maybe go with HS-81's or HS-85 if it was a concern.

Cant remember what the squares are and I just use tape for my hatch. Some have said they would try Rare earth magnets but I never seen posted results or a source.

tIANci 10-19-2006 12:29 AM

I think using magnets are best, I used glass tape, one side was the 'hinge'. The other was always replaced as you need to attach and remove it all the time. If I get lazy in replacing then I will be flying with the hatch dangling! My next one will be using magnets as I have quite a few of those.

rclement 10-20-2006 10:42 AM

What CG is best for this plane? I know that's relative but what works good.

RVM 10-20-2006 10:44 AM

Not sure. I need to measure this out so I know where to put my fuel tank. Let me go look through this long thread.

ORIGINAL: rclement

What CG is best for this plane?

rclement 10-20-2006 12:08 PM

RVM, how are you coming on your build? I'm just about done with mine. I only have about an hours work left on it.

RVM 10-20-2006 02:47 PM

I'm going slow. Not really in a big hurry. Getting a Saito 1.00 in on Monday, and have to wait for my transmitter to be fixed by Horizon anyway. I should be done by Monday or Tuesday. Current progress... ailerons are hinged in. I got the aileron horns on (using DuBros), but I'll probably redo those. Aileron servos installed and I've built the pushrods for them too. I have the engine box reinforced with tristock and a little 3/4oz. fiberglass. It's also fuelproofed now. The landing gear are attached.