RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Groovy 50 3D- ARF from World Models??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3242105-groovy-50-3d-arf-world-models.html)

Zerofreak 08-08-2005 10:55 AM

Groovy 50 3D- ARF from World Models???

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

This plane looks very nice, but is it any good?

xoon 08-08-2005 02:38 PM

RE: Groovy 50 3D- ARF from World Models???

i don't know about that.. but it has a good price tag!:D if any good words i will look into this plane

Zerofreak 08-11-2005 02:34 AM

Hi

Groovy 3D 50 is a new ARF-kit all right, but somebody must have tried it, or what?
I really want to know more about the quality of the kit, and it's flying characteristics comparable to the UCD46.
Please help!

falcon38 08-15-2005 05:58 PM

HEY,
THE GROOVY IS A GREAT FLYING PLANE AND HANDLES LIKE A DREAM...THE LAND GEAR NEEDS TO BE REINFORCED BUT OTHER THAN THAT THIS PLANE WILL DO ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN MAKE IT DO!!!!!

Zerofreak 08-16-2005 11:24 AM

Hi Falcon38

Sounds great, because I have just purchased a Groovy 50 3D Kit, to find out. ;)

goony 08-16-2005 02:14 PM

looks the same as the weston groove we get over here? you might want to change the tail if it is as they have a habit of snapping off? there is a thread on *************.co.uk

goony

Zerofreak 09-06-2005 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Well now I have built and flown the Groovy50-3D, and must say it flies great, BUT it is not a 3D-plane. Too heavy.
Mine came up with 2,9 Kg. - the specifications says 2,6 Kg.
Maybe it is because I'm using a OS61SF (two stroke) engine witch weights 700 gr. incl. muffler, who knows?
The quality of the kit is good, and assembly is easy.
Here is some pic's of my Groovy50-3D:

GMoneyPit 09-06-2005 09:41 PM

Man, you did some serious surgery to get that engine in the cowl. I think you did a great job and I know there's no way in he11 that I'll be able to do it that well. I wish I could send you mine when it get in to have it cut for my SK-80. Was it difficult?

I wonder if I mounted it inverted if it would be any easier. Perhaps I should get a pitts-style or Macs pipe. Any input from anyone on engine mounting and muffler choice?

Zerofreak 09-07-2005 04:42 AM

Hi Warner

Thanks for the comment's, and yes it was a bit difficult. It took me around 7-8 hour's to do.
If the engine was mounted inverted, it would be much easier to do. But I was worried about liquid locking, so therefore I mounted it horizontal.
Good luck with your SK-80 cowl! :)

chrislex 10-09-2005 04:23 PM

Hi,
The groovy 50 3D is a good flying airplane but the sides of the fuse is built cheap and the wings can loosen up easly where the spool pins go into the side of the fuse. I did have a Saito 65 in the plane that was a perfect match for it but I wanted more power so I put a Saito 100 in and the thing is now unbelivable. The plane will climb straight up verticle at a little under half throttle. But one thing I had to do to this thing was strengthen up both sides of the fuse, the landing gear mount that I used 1/4 in thick plywood and low bounce wheels to take out any shock. With what I did to the plane as far as adding weight had no affect on the huge 100 motor. The only problem I am now having trouble with is prop clearance. i need a larger prop with less pitch so i can get it to hover the way I want it to. But I think that this is a well performing 3 D plane.

supernova 11-17-2005 02:27 AM

Hey guys just wonder if anybody has hovered with a 61? If so hows she do? I want to get one, for 3d/pattern,I have a 50sx and a 61fx
but dont know if either is right for it. Also is there a differance between the F3A and the 3d arfs, other than the size of the surfaces?

Ireek 11-26-2005 10:50 AM

How is the landing charictoristics of this plane? Does it land really hot? I'm planning on using a 61 fx, so it might be a bit heavy, but with the wing that far forward it looks like it might be ok?

Al Lewis 02-11-2006 10:10 AM

I just test flew mine last week with a YS .63 in it and apart from a little engine trouble it flew great. I ended up with a dead stick landing off the end of the runway but everything held up fine. I'm using a 13x4W APC prop so the plane will slow down nicely with the engine. I also found that I had to open the cowl up quite a bit to get the airflow to the engine and back out again. Going to fly it with the mods today. Video of the 1st flight is in members videos.

BaldEagel 03-06-2006 07:54 AM

Hi all

Just regeristing my interest in this aircraft, has anyone flown one on a normal engine i.e. manufacturers suggested engine and I don't mean superchraged. something like an OS50?

Mike

BaldEagel 03-15-2006 10:21 AM

another dead site.

Al Lewis 03-18-2006 05:53 PM

There are a couple of threads where people have. I can tell you that the YS .63 gives this thing unlimited vertical and great performance. Even at slow speeds it maneuvers great and does all of the 3D stuff. From your profile it looks like you're into electric. If so you'll want the 3A and not the 3D. The two are different in many ways. The electric version with the cockpit that comes off is a 3A. The 3D is strictly glow fuel. Noticed you're from Kent. My wife is from London. I spent 9 years in the UK. Loved it. Was just back last August. Had to have a pint of real ale and a pork pie!!!:D

BaldEagel 03-20-2006 05:35 AM

Lou55

I have the 3A already with a Weston UK 61 4S in it, as you say unlimited vertical is not on as yet the engine is new and I am running it rich at the moment.

On the RE World models groovy 50 F3A site most have AXI outrunners in them I have got a suitable AXI and may change the IC to electric later.

Mike

BaldEagel 03-24-2006 06:39 AM

OK chaps

Got fed up with waiting for the 61 to come on song and pull, so I'v changed it for a 70 4S will report back when I have flown it.

Mike

BaldEagel 03-27-2006 10:16 AM

If anyone is interested on this site go to "RE Groovy 50 3A by The World Models" site for update on the 3A with a 70 4S in it.

Mike

Eric.Henderson 04-13-2007 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This may be a bit old, but I didn't have a YS 63 lying around so I stole an OS 61 from a twin and tried to see if it would fit in the cowl.

I also kept the engine as far back as sensible to help with the CG later on. Although the airplane is billed as a 52-70 4-c ship the cowl and firewall do allow a 2-c to be grafted onto the front.

I rotated the engine until the std mffler was centered below the fuselage. I considered the inverted option but it put the carb too low for the available tank position. With the muffler at the bottom the cowl could be opened up to both clear the muffler and allow a ton of air to exit the cowl.

The canted engine took out less cowl material and the head tucked in reasonably well.

To do all of the positioning I bolted the engine onto the supplied mounts first. Then the whole assembly could be moved around until the desired bolt pattern could be established for the rear of the mount. The clear plastic cowl "tool" made it very easy to find and cut the openings.

I put a temporary balsa plug in the tank-hole in the fire wall to draw reference lines for the center of the engine. Then I drew new "center" lines to match the angle selected for the cant of the engine. The supplied engine mount just made it inside the cowl. The metric blind nuts were removed and replaced with new 6-32 nuts and bolts.

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: GMoneyPit

Man, you did some serious surgery to get that engine in the cowl. I think you did a great job and I know there's no way in he11 that I'll be able to do it that well. I wish I could send you mine when it get in to have it cut for my SK-80. Was it difficult?

I wonder if I mounted it inverted if it would be any easier. Perhaps I should get a pitts-style or Macs pipe. Any input from anyone on engine mounting and muffler choice?

MetallicaJunkie 06-01-2008 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

This may be a bit old, but I didn't have a YS 63 lying around so I stole an OS 61 from a twin and tried to see if it would fit in the cowl.

I also kept the engine as far back as sensible to help with the CG later on. Although the airplane is billed as a 52-70 4-c ship the cowl and firewall do allow a 2-c to be grafted onto the front.

I rotated the engine until the std mffler was centered below the fuselage. I considered the inverted option but it put the carb too low for the available tank position. With the muffler at the bottom the cowl could be opened up to both clear the muffler and allow a ton of air to exit the cowl.

The canted engine took out less cowl material and the head tucked in reasonably well.

To do all of the positioning I bolted the engine onto the supplied mounts first. Then the whole assembly could be moved around until the desired bolt pattern could be established for the rear of the mount. The clear plastic cowl "tool" made it very easy to find and cut the openings.

I put a temporary balsa plug in the tank-hole in the fire wall to draw reference lines for the center of the engine. Then I drew new "center" lines to match the angle selected for the cant of the engine. The supplied engine mount just made it inside the cowl. The metric blind nuts were removed and replaced with new 6-32 nuts and bolts.

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: GMoneyPit

looks good, im thinking of buying one for my 61 fx

BaldEagel 06-02-2008 02:43 AM

MetallicaJunkie

This plane is now very out of date, and compared to the newer planes out there fly's like a dog, the most accurate flying plane I have now is the SebArt Angel, I have and electric verstion and converted oneto IC with a 56 two stroke, it works just as well as the electric, fly's very true, I have never had to touch the trims in any situation on this plane, fly't inverted and upright exactly the same, can't fault it at this size and cost.

Mike

MetallicaJunkie 06-03-2008 06:32 PM

thanks for the heads up BaldEagel, i ordered a Showtime 50 instead, i hope i dont regret it. and for a pattern plane i ordered a spot on 50, for my os 50 sx

dnugent 06-09-2008 03:42 AM

Hi

I don't know about the 3D version, I have a F3A and I think that does fly way better, if your interested in freestyle either one will do;) If you want to do 3D go the 3D version.

good luck & happy flying. Dave

lifesabeech 09-30-2008 05:31 PM

Old thread but giving it a try. Just test flew my groovy (had it for about 6months but an EF extra borrowed the ys-63). Thought it went pretty well, but didn't really get a chance to really test it out. Anybody stick to the stock elevator pushrod? I did was never very happy with it. Tried to pull a parachute and the fookin thing snapped 90deg. Not sure if it was me or the elev setup(I'll blame that until i change it) but overall as a chuckaround I was pleasantly surprised. Compared to the Extra i found it a lot more stable in the wind(that'll be the weight) but the ys pulls like stink. Will keep me going till I get the AW extra 260 50cc ready. Now that is an experience in ARTF!! the way it should be..