RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Lanier Yak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3488870-lanier-yak.html)

mga 01-08-2007 11:31 AM

RE: Lanier Yak

Mine seems to be a good piece of ply, Also I carbon fiber a good part of it, expecially were it is glued to the cross member. I did not put any lightning holes anywere.

FishMan 01-08-2007 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: pcsol

mga,
The flat plate.
Its a composite of three very brittle light ply sheets (at least in my case). See post # 751.[:'(]
They were only tack glued in places and not laminated (again in my case).
Between that and the lightening holes any strong torsion action on the gear may blow it out. I had a flame out from a low level harrier (about three feet) which did mine in. Broke the plate before bending the gear [:'(]

I wouldnt expect to many gear plates to hold up to a 3` drop on a 20 lb plane. Not to mention the gear itself.

pcsol 01-08-2007 12:52 PM

Good point !
But at the same time I have "pancaked" my share of planes before :) and have had the gear fold or bolts bend/break before the plate blew out.
With the Yak (as you may know) the gear is quite flexible but in my instance didn’t bend much at all before the plate failed.
The plane did have some forward motion as well so its not as though it "dropped" from three feet, was more like very bad landing:(.
I think the picture in post 751 tells the tale well enough. Personally I would prefer a piece of nice high grade aircraft ply (my replacement solution) over a sandwich of whatever that brittle stuff is with a monster hole in cut the middle!
mga,
Does your plate not have the lightening holes ?

ORIGINAL: FishMan

ORIGINAL: pcsol

mga,
The flat plate.
Its a composite of three very brittle light ply sheets (at least in my case). See post # 751.[:'(]
They were only tack glued in places and not laminated (again in my case).
Between that and the lightening holes any strong torsion action on the gear may blow it out. I had a flame out from a low level harrier (about three feet) which did mine in. Broke the plate before bending the gear [:'(]

I wouldnt expect to many gear plates to hold up to a 3` drop on a 20 lb plane. Not to mention the gear itself.

mga 01-08-2007 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I did with mine, I had forgotten about those holes, I thought you guys had done some under the landing gear brackets. It sure looks like an aircraft ply, but not sure. Not to brag, My Great Planes Super Stearman, has over 1000 flights, and my Wild Hare Edge has over 400 flights, all with the same wheel pants and gear. I use a lot of engine control on landings, I try to land as soft as possible. So I hope for the same results on the Yak.

iflywhenican 01-08-2007 05:03 PM

Believe me it is NOT aircraft ply. Something like a stack of saltine crackers with lightening holes cut into the center plates will better describe it. Very brittle. The plate will break out even with the landing gear brackets. It just doesn't "shear," it shatters apart. I wish now that I had taken some pics of mine when it let go.
I have had not one problem with my repair though.
I suggest you guys put a cross brace on top of the gear to strengthen it.

maxun 01-08-2007 05:33 PM

I got one of this yak in a box new, and I will do what you said with all the recomendation you have, but I will add that It will be good to install 2 ply of fiber glass 181 or 3 in order to avoid this disaster, plus I been told by a old timer that installing nylon bolts in the landing gear installation is better than metal because they will shear off before damage the landing gear frame and the fuselage frame, he told me that is easy to fix the wings than fix the fuse. I got some 1/4 20 nylon bolt and wood nuts to see if this work better, I got a edge 540t hangar 9 the model was discontinued but the landing gear frame is really bad. So I will post my result with nylon bolts.

mga 01-08-2007 06:08 PM

With the Edge, the nylon bolts will work, but with the Yak as the system is different that the Edge, it would do more damage than having the metal bolts.

iflywhenican 01-08-2007 06:12 PM

I would not try the nylon bolts on a plane this heavy. IMO, they will shear to easily. This plane is not pretty with the wheelpants stuck through the wings.

Maudib 01-08-2007 06:41 PM

Absolutely... they could snap off ona relatively easy landing (especially in the colder climates) and trash a $25-$50 prop... bend an exhaust stack, smash a cowl, etc...

The gear can also become a machete and rip into the fuse as it passes by....

Nope... if you must, reinforce the gearplate and use steel bolts.

IF was to reinforce it... I'd cut a 1/8" aircraft ply double for the gear area, epoxy it in place and then tri-stock it fore and aft.

maxun 01-08-2007 10:49 PM

yea I think that nylon bolt will be a bad idea for this heavy bird, but I will beef up this plate when I start the airplane.
For now I got too much to build.
Maudib did you move from Ohio?

Maudib 01-08-2007 11:09 PM

Yes... to Ashland, KY.... about 3 hours South. ANd only about the same distance as I was from you.. :) I pass Chillicothe every couple weeks on my trips back and forth.

maxun 01-09-2007 01:50 AM

I go to KY went a airplane our airplanes got trouble, I was surfing the net and found in TBM troy buil Model my picture in the BME Yak section, it was a suprise for me, but he give me other name, no the one my mother and father give me, It shoock me, but I don't mine. I hope at least he put my name correct.

rchotdogpilot 01-10-2007 01:15 PM

I know I start this post a while ago and haven't put any input lately, but I figured after a great season with the Yak, I would write in. To give a quick run down,

ALL lightening mods, including belly wood taken out.
1 servo per wing
1 rudder servo
900 mah Li-po's for ignition and radio 1.5 oz each :-) (yes, I replace the RX battery every flight)
No Wheel pants or spinner
ZDZ 50 with an MSC 23X8
Airtronics 94758 for Elev and Ail (FAST FAST FAST, .06 sec 60 deg)
Hitec 5955 for rudder
HS 81 for Throttle and Choke
12MZ for control. I have to tell you, with the servo speed I have and this radio, if you think it, it does it.
Pretty much 17.5 all up.

I have probably a few hundered flights on it this past year. All wonderful. No faults at all, flying. There have only been 2 problems with the plane.

1) Landing gear block had issues when I had some radio interference right touch down. So I redesigned it and made the gear come out of the bottom instead of the thru the fuse method. No problems since.
2) I was flying invereted about a foot off the ground and the spark plug came out of the engine. No idea why or how, it just did. Landed it invereted softly and crack the cowl. Ordered a new one, but it was expensive.

So the hovers are rock steady with the 50 on a 23X8, pull out is great, not like it could be better with a bigger motor of course, but I don't know if I would sacrifice the wing loading. I love mine as it sits. I love it so much I will be ripping the covering off and giving it a custom "Bachelor style" covering job. The thing out flies all Yaks at my field, QQ, TOC, WH, GP and what not. No comparisons!!!!!! But I do realize mine has the lightest wingloading. Some of the guys put a ZDZ 80 in QQ Yak with big NiMh batteries. I think they are heavier than I am. Such a shame really, but they do beat me in hover to pull out status. No matter to me, because I can out fly them anyday, any manuever!

Well with all that said, I have to admit that the way to build or modify your plane(s) is for what suits you best. With me, I have been absolutley thrilled with mine. I would recomend it to anyone that is willing to listen to me for the mods needed. Just my opinion, I guess.

I JUST LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mga 01-10-2007 02:15 PM

Glad to hear of the great results. Be nice now to hear from someone who has not done any mods, with a 70cc and over engine installed in it.

iflywhenican 01-10-2007 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: mga

Glad to hear of the great results. Be nice now to hear from someone who has not done any mods, with a 70cc and over engine installed in it.
I have a Fuji 64 in mine with NO lightening mods at all. I love the way this thing performs. It weighs 22 lbs. I let a seasoned 3-D pilot fly it and he really put it through it's paces and his response was: "That thing reacts faster that I can keep up with it!!" Especially in a rolling harrier.

mga 01-10-2007 03:53 PM

Glad to hear that, as mine is close to 24 with a FPE 70cc. I show the pics of it on this thread.

maxun 01-10-2007 05:22 PM

Rchodogpilot, after you lost that elevator servo screw and landed that airplane like a super pilot, I was so impress with you plane, that I went I got my self one, need to take some lesson from you, you really put to dance that yak, (Monty Tailspinners). I was ready to tell joe to give me you phone to ask you for the mods you did to yours, you yak float in the air like a kite, very impresive.

rchotdogpilot 01-11-2007 09:24 AM

Maxun,

Go ahead and ask Joe for my number. I will gladly help you out. I will tell you now, that some of my mods may seem crazy, but you saw the result first hand. Also I do come to Columbus often, so I could even stop by now and then and give you hand.

I can seriously say, I think that is the first time that some one was so impressed with my airplane and flying skills that they bought the same airplane. I'm honored :D

Neil

maxun 01-11-2007 06:22 PM

yes I did, I was very impress.

kochj 01-21-2007 11:12 PM

Thank you Langster for the flight report!
I have recieved My yak last month and it arrived in perfect condition except for the Cheap cowl that rattled off the fuse and was crushed by the fuse durring shipping, other wise fine (I now know what you mean by limited packing from factory)
I have yet to make a desicion on the type of engine I will use, as I still have a TF gieant p51 mustang, and a 33% cap 580 to finish before I start this build.
Just an Idea for the worn out robart hinges.............. You could install robart hing pockets, as you can dissaseble and replace as needed if you install a pocket at both ends! Just a thought, or I might try it....
Thanks
Justin

ORIGINAL: Langster

Hi kochj,

I have 67 flights now on my Lanier Yak with a ZDZ 80 RV. There is plenty of power with a 25x10 Bolly prop. Hovering at 1/3 throttle (linear curve on TX) and the plane is a pleasure to fly with HS-5955's all round. I used forgues research custom standoffs to install the 80 and the carby protrudes slightly through the firewall.

The roll coupling on knife-edge is the only thing that bothers me a bit when flying the Yak.
I have not done any sig mods apart from lightening the canopy and have not strengthened the landing gear plate as recommended by others. No problems so far with the landing gear and the cg was perfect with the ZDZ 80 installation.

However, I did wear out the robart hinges on the rudder and have replaced with 2x the number of robarts to make sure (the pin holes enlarged and the rudder became loose). My flying style is virtually continuous rolling so there is sig opportunity for wear on the rudder hinges.

Many people complement the appearance of the plane, which does look pretty sharp on the ground, and in the air.

I hope all this helps.

Lang

Langster 01-21-2007 11:40 PM

Hi kochj,

Yeah I did think about the pockets and even bought some with their installation in mind. In the end though, all that is holding them in would have been the small grub screws and I thought that for this application I wanted something that would give me "more peace of mind". Thus, heaps more hinges. There may be examples of hinge pockets being used where they have performed flawlessly which I am sure that people may report, and I still may use them on another occasion if I think that the hinge may be lower stress.

I have not had an aircraft last longer than 160 flights with gas (midair), but I hope that the Yak will pass that figure without any more problems. Although on my most recent 76th flight the balsa frame to the canopy broke and I am thinking about more reinforcing that I can use to prevent this from happening again.

I have just ordered another 25x10 PT prop for the Yak which I think is the best combination for my ZDZ80rv. I am currently flying with a 25x10 Bolly but that seems still a bit much for this combination for the sort of flying that I do. I broke my last 25x10 PT prop when the receiver shifted slightly and the rudder connector came 1/2 out and the rudder was jammed at 1/3 right rudder movement. That was an interesting landing, and unfortunately I broke the prop in the process.

Hopefully you got your cowl issue sorted with the manufacturer or supplier?

Lang

kochj 02-01-2007 03:34 AM

Oops! I mispoke! The cowl was fine (packed in a separate box) It was the Canopy, not the cowl that had fallen underthe plane durring shipping....
I am now waiting for a e-mail back from BME engines! 115cc 11 horsepower from a mere
4.2 pound engine! (I think this is not including the ignition or it may) I am thinking of placing it in the yak! Nuts?? Well I am thinking about the ZDZ 80 super.. this weighs about the same as the BME 115 and the price is very close , (I will not have tuned pipes) and a twin to boot! Just not sure on the demensions.....
Problem is though if I go with this set up (twice the price of a 50cc) I wouldn't have the loot left over to afford any hop ups (carbon fiber stuff) to make this plane lighter!!
Plus I am not sure if the engine would fit entirely in the cowl?

langster, How is the performance of the zdz 80? A detailed flight report would be great!
By the way I do have hinge pockets in the ruder on my Funtana 100X. I will let you know how it turns out as a bash it all next summer! Seems like it should hold fine but can't be sure of anything!
Justin

Maudib 02-01-2007 06:32 AM

kochj,

The Labier Yak's cowl is slab sided... the BME won't fit without a good bit of holes in each side...

Power of course would be wild... Prop clearance might be somewhat of an issue... maybe go 3 blade?

I think you'd e happier with the ZDZ 80 or new DA85 in the nose and spending the extra cash on getting it lighter...

That 115 will be really happy in a much larger airframe... :)

Langster 02-01-2007 06:40 AM

Hi Justin,

Well all I can say I suppose is that I'm very happy with the performace of the ZDZ 80rv in my Yak. I also thought of the ZDZ super 80 but in the end it was making the plane wing loading that bit high (for me) and it was a lot more expensive than what i paid for my second hand but reconditioned 80rv. Prop clearance is an issue as per Maudib's comments as I am not tilting the tail up very high before the prop digs in to the ground.

In relation to a flight report the sort of flying that I do would not be classified as 3D apart from the odd bit of hovering. For the hovering there is plenty of pull out in vertical, but then I don't hover close to the ground. My flying imcludes lots of rolling such as rolling cubans, circuits, and figure 8's. I have just started doing rolling loops although they are not very straight or coordinated yet.

A few of the IMAC guys regularly try to encourage me to join their ranks but at the moment I just like to fly 1/2 day per week trying new manoeuvres all the time. If you have specific questions then perhaps I can answer them. I don't have any other video than that taken on my second flight which included some rolling circuits with a very rich engine due to run in.

Lang

kochj 02-01-2007 08:36 AM

I thought that it might be quite a tight fit in that cowl.. I might just be a little dissapointed though, because I have had a bran new DA 100cc sitting in my garage since march of last year and a plane that needs to be bagan to put together in orderto fly with it... I had thought aboout the 110 BME prior to getting the DA 100 and now I am bumed that I didn't wait to finish the plane before I purchased the engine... Heck the engine now only has a year warrenty on it and it hasn't been started yet by me! I guess I was wishing about the BME 115 going into the 33% cap 580 insteadof the DA! I the old saying about Belindsa's eye is true.... Odjects accuried after desired, bla bla bla..... I think we all know the rest........
Thanks Lang for the report....
Have you done any of the mods?
What is your wieght at now?
Thanks
Justin K