RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3971535-quique-somenzini-yak-54s-73%22.html)

Maudib 04-25-2006 07:54 PM

RE: Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

I can't be sure (and perhaps I'll ask) but I think they were included to provide people with an option to going out and buying long servo arms that Futaba and JR fail to come with stock.

I'm sure these have been designed to provide perfect throws, etc... but I can see no reason as to why using aluminum arms or even Dubro HD synthetic arms wouldn't work just as well.

These seem to be about 15/16" from the center of the output shaft... So a 1" would replace them just fine.

They have the two holes and a quick test shows that they line up perfect with holes in a JR or Futaba wheel and it actually slips over the hub of the futaba black wheel.

I wouldn't have any qualms about using them... but I wouldn't think twice to use 3rd party arms either...

akschu 04-25-2006 08:11 PM

I wonder if small aluminum pop rivets would be a good option to fasten them.

marc 540 04-25-2006 08:23 PM

Emvin, I get 15 min flights with my 220 on a 20 oz. tank. thats with 15% fuel on a 13 1/2 lb. Dave Patrick Edge.. Not nearly as bad as some people may tell you. If your QQ comes in at 12 lbs. or so you will be runing a little over idle most of the time (just ''sippin'' fuel ;))
Yes, you will have some cleanup at the end of the day but that thumping Saito sound is well worth it![8D][8D]

Marc 540

HIGHSTRUT 04-25-2006 10:20 PM

I must admit, it's a well thought out hardware package and I'm impressed with the quality of this ARF for the price. I'm looking forward to flying this gem.

Maudib 04-25-2006 10:26 PM

They'd be mighty dinky... to be honest I think the screws are just fine... plastic & plastic... thread hard on each... or #2 screws & nuts... you could insert them from the bottom and put the nut on top with red loctite... or even be so bold as to use 2/56 locknuts... :)

I don't think Quique would ship them this way if he wasn't confident in the standard screws to hold...

ORIGINAL: akschu

I wonder if small aluminum pop rivets would be a good option to fasten them.

TedG 04-25-2006 11:18 PM

Anyone figured out the weight and balance directions? The directions do not state whether the ideal "174mm" is at the wing tip (I think it is) or at wing root. If it is at wing tip, has anyone transposed that measurement to the wing root? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

EMVIN 04-26-2006 07:46 AM

Mark 540.....15 minutes Thats impressive!!!!! If I do as well as that I will put a smaller tank in........ I use degreaser for clean up....it works very well.... I cant wait to get my QQ 73 coated in Saito grease ;)

xxsnookxx 04-26-2006 01:29 PM

i was going to get some purple anodized ones to match the color scheme haha...what about the tail wheel ok?does anybody know if there is carbon fiber gear made for this kit yet?

EMVIN 04-26-2006 02:13 PM

I bet you can get a carbon fiber tail LG, but the one that comes with it is way light.....I picked up a carbon fiber spinner....Amaizing how light it is...

xxsnookxx 04-26-2006 04:13 PM

i got my 26gt today what the best muffler combo for this being mounted inverted?

akschu 04-26-2006 04:28 PM

I can't wait to hear how that goes. I really would rather go gas myself, but not if it won't 3d.

mr.bigal 04-27-2006 02:07 AM

Hey im mr. bigal im geting a quiqe ya 73'' i hade the 72'' and it was great with the os 160.Doe's any body know if the 73'' will hang on the prop with the 160.:D:D:D:D:D:):D:):D[&:]

mr.bigal 04-27-2006 02:10 AM

[X(]:eek::D;)[:@][:'(][:o][:-][&o]On my 72'' i hade the 160 os and it ran 30 minutes with a 24onz tank i would do 2 flight's per tank.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:@][:@][:@]:D:D[8D][8D][8D][&:][&:][8D]:):):(:([>:]

TedG 04-27-2006 11:57 PM

OK, I have finished it. 5945s all around except the throttle (2025) - 140 YS Sport with the rx and 2100 Lipo battery with voltage regulator in the forward battery support. I drew a line from the 174mm point on the trailing edge on the wing tip to the opposite wing so I could identify where on the wing root QQ's recommendation was for weight/balance (it turned out to be 6" from the front of the wing root against the fuse) - with all that its going to take over 9 oz to balance this bird with QQ"s 174mm recommendation. Has anyone experienced this????? What a terrible burden to put 9oz of lead in a such a beautiful airplane to make it balance. Or, am I not balancing it correctly???? HELP!!!!!!

:(

randy racer 04-28-2006 05:30 AM

i don't have my 73" done yet but on my 72" i removed a elevator servo and joined the elevator halves with a piece of alum. works great, saved weight, and the cost of a servo.i've done the 73" the same way but i plan on using a 3W 28 gasser on this one so i may need the weight. time will tell.

randy

Maudib 04-28-2006 06:43 AM

It would be csomewhat easy to get your line out of whack.

I would suggest you get a friend to whole one wingtip and you the other and balance at the tip as suggested, just to make sure you have it right.

Once you have it balanced (with whatever must be done) then check teh CG at the fuse and move fore and aft until you find where the CG is laying at the root and mark it. Now you have an identical reference.

Now... as far as hitting CG... Did you build stock? Put the battery up on that tray out over the engine? What battery?

Can we see some pics of the install? Hatch area for location of items, etc? Mbe we cna figure something out...

TedG 04-28-2006 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maudib

Thanks for the reponse. I've got a big case of frustration on this CG problem after all the time and money I've put into this bird. I'll give your suggestion about having a friend hold up one of the wings a try. All the planes I've built before gave CGs on the wing root at the fuse. I'm assuming with this method the plane is balanced upside down? I'll try to attach photos for your review and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maudib 04-28-2006 02:22 PM

Nice build Ted... everything looks real good and you really went outta your wau to get the best possible CG, at least from what I can see...

I'll assume stock or lighter tailwheel and stock hardware on the servos.

Hmmmm

The only thing You mught have available is to move the engien out some, but I don't know where you are now past the fron of the cowl.

Otherwise, it just built out tailheavy... sometimes the balsa grabbed for the tailgroupd is heavier than normal... and it obly take a couple sheets to add up to 1-2 oz... which requires 4-6 in the nose. THen perhaps you had a little exra epoxy in the stab attachment... .25 oz would need 1 in the nose...

I expected this plane to require some work because of the built in design of the cantilevered battery.

At 33 oz, this is about the same as the O.S. 1.60... the rest of you fellas take heed... get that engine out there as far as looks reasonable... No need to save weignt with a C spinner (other than it looks so "kewl")

Watch ANY added tailweight at all.

We'll see how some others turn out, but if this is any inidicator, a nice gasser might be the ticket after all... :) Or a big plod of batteries up front.. :)

TedG 04-28-2006 02:35 PM

Thanks Maudib

Everythin is stock, so I guess its just a tail heavy plane. I'll see if I can push the engine out a little, but its almost against the cowl now. Was my assumtion correct about balancing, using the tips, upside down???

Thanks again - you've been a great help in this project.

Maudib 04-28-2006 03:02 PM

I've always done mine right side up... I'd also shoot for the rearmost 3D setting right up front. It's all more a "in the ballpark range" in this size plane... with some tweaking for flight characteristics later.

xxsnookxx 04-28-2006 06:42 PM

i maybe wrong here but from the photo in the insctructions the markings for cg are on the outside of the wing tips...?thats where i was going to balance mine am i wrong?pg. 42 fig 75

Wildstyle 04-28-2006 06:58 PM

TedG What is the distance between the firewall and prop driver on your yak? is it 5.5" ?

what is the weight of the custom muffler? being mounted behind the engine does not help with your C.G issues although Quique has proved this to be successful.

you may want to use a NiCd battery, that will add 1-2oz and move your throttle servo just behind the firewall. also check the weight of your plastic spinner compared to a aluminum spinner.

You've got me thinking about my Yak which arrived last night, I also have a YS140 sport although I am going to use a Hyde soft mount (will have to move the firewall back a little).

Anthony.

Maudib 04-28-2006 08:31 PM

They are... but he was transferring those marks to the root, because it's easier for one fella to "double finger" a plane at the fuse than at the wingtips... :)

ORIGINAL: xxsnookxx

i maybe wrong here but from the photo in the insctructions the markings for cg are on the outside of the wing tips...?thats where i was going to balance mine am i wrong?pg. 42 fig 75

akschu 04-29-2006 02:16 AM

randy racer,

Did you by chance weigh the aluminum part use used to join the elevator halves? It sounds like the solution to the tail heavy problem is to use one big elevator servo, but only if the part weighs a bit less than a typical 2-3oz servo.

randy racer 04-29-2006 06:34 AM

i didn't get the wieght but it's alot lighter than a servo and linkage. it's not hard to do just cut a slot in both elevator halves and slide the alum stock in and glue. make sure your halves are straight, if off a little you can bend the alum to line up. i found the alum stock a lowes and put a 4-40 screw and lock nut through both side to help hold it in place. i wish i could get pic for you, i may see if i can figure out how to do that tonight.

randy