RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3971535-quique-somenzini-yak-54s-73%22.html)

akschu 03-25-2006 04:00 PM

RE: Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

A 3 blade prop would look sweet, and I could always buy a cheap 2 stroke to fly the plane until the BME starts shipping. A SuperTigre G-3250 is only $150 if I wait until tower has the $30 off deal and I'm sure it will work fine for a couple of months.

AWCFlyr 03-25-2006 10:32 PM

Check with www.aircraftinternational.com under the sales tab for Menzs 3-blade wood props. I have a couple of 15X10's turned by OS 160FX's and they pull great. Very comperable to an 18X8 Biela.

shakway 03-27-2006 10:23 AM

Excellent plane following the successful 72" Yak.

I have the 72" Yak with a gasser already. Plugged in MVVS 1.6 (26cc). Power is average. Nitro would be much more power.

For people considering larger engines for this plane, consider the prop clearance from the ground. If you plug in a 40cc your minimum prop diameter would be 20. For the 72" yak, an 18" prop is very close to the ground so consider that. (Hard landing would break the prop).

I am thinking about powering this plane with saito 180, best choice for power.

Excellent plane, but I really didn't like the scheme :). I think the previous scheme with the red/yellow is the best till now on a Yak.

akschu 04-04-2006 04:31 PM

shakway,

According to the specs the MVVS 1.6 is only a few oz heavier than the OS 1.60 and pulls a 18x6 @ 8,700. If that is really true it should be at least real close to the OS 1.60 in performance, but your comments don't sound that way. Does your engine pull numbers like that or do you have to run a tuned pipe to get that kind of HP? Also, what do you mean by average performance? Does it pull out of a hover?

I really want to put a gas in this 73" yak since the closest place to buy glow fuel is 60 miles away and it costs $25 a gallon, but I don't really want a dog either. I looked into the 85" yak but the servos it requires are twice the money and the plane is $250 more, so it will cost almost $500 to step up to the 85 assmuing I run gas in both.

If the MVVS 1.6 isn't a good option then I think the only other choice would be the new 2.4lb ZDZ40. 17% more wing on the 73" yak should put the wing loading around 24.50oz/ft assuming a 12lb plane (1lb more than the OS 1.60 setup) , so the only real problem would be the prop clearance which would probably require a 3 blade prop to fix. The engine is due out late summer or fall so this all hinges on them shipping with the advertised weight.

xtraflyr 04-04-2006 05:18 PM

My OS160 on my 72" is spinning 9500 with a APC 18x6W and a Bolly 18x6 wood,and a slimline pitts muffler.. It flyies it perfect. 1/2 throttle hovers and very good pull out!!

Cya,
Frank

Maudib 04-04-2006 05:30 PM

The MVVS is 38.65 oz (with ignition)

add another 3 oz for a small 720 mah nimh ignition battery and switch.

The O.S. 1.60FX is Just under 33 oz... so the MVVS is 1/2 lb heavier.

Will it really spin an 18x6 at 8700? Depends on what prop it is.... But apples to apples the 1.60FX will spin the SAME prop faster by a decent margin that's just nature of the beast with glow to gas comparison...

The 73" has 7% not 17% more wingarea... (still a nice increase though)

If you fly sport/IMAC. the MVVS 25 would be a good engine... but it will not have unlimited vertical I don't think. I've got a new 1.60 in a GP CAP 232 1.60 ARF and it powered very nicely at 12 lbs... decent 3D power but I wouldn't want any less...

I'm not trying to rain on your party... but I really think you should consider the ZDZ40RV-FAI or the coming soon BME55 if you MUST go gas.

Perhaps the 3W 28i as it weighs 2.67 lbs WITH ignition.

Hold off until just after the Toldeo show (starts this Friday thru Sunday) before making any final decisions...

akschu 04-04-2006 07:36 PM

Maudib,

Yea, ok, sounds good. I really would like gas, but I'm not willing to give up 3d performance for it.

If I do end up going glow which glow engine performs better and gets bettery fuel economy? The OS1.60, Saito 180, or the YS140? The OS1.60 is a bit cheaper than the others, so it looks like the best option to keep the cost down.

Beausol,

Where did you get a saito 180 for $325? I would be all over that if I could get hooked up on that deal.

schu

Maudib 04-04-2006 07:47 PM

The 1.60 is the least expensuve AND the most fuel consciencious... and it runs great on 10-15% nitro (cheaper than 20%-30%).

Still, 4 strokes have their allure too with a better sound and better low end torque that transmits into better low rpm feel/faster spoolup.

They weigh more, cost more and suck more fuel for those advantages.. They also would be "happier" with 20%-30% nitro. Runs like a top straight out of the box on 30%... no issues with low idle or ANYTHING... plus an extra 800-1000 rpm to boot... ;) I'd have to say they shake more as well.

Me? I've got a new 1.60 so that's probably my momo of choice.... Electric would be my second choice. I'll stick to the 85" for gas... a DA50 naturally... ;)

Maudib 04-04-2006 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How 'bout another couple of teasers?

Like phenolic control horns all around?

And titanium pushrods and balllinks too?

akschu 04-04-2006 08:11 PM

So when is it going to start shipping?

slim56 04-04-2006 08:19 PM

I would say that Maudib is holding out on us, what do you think guys?

Anaconda

Maudib 04-04-2006 08:20 PM

I believe the shipping date will be announced at Toledo... so everyone will be able to make firm plans...

Maudib 04-04-2006 08:40 PM

As I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am in the process of designing a new website for Quique that is almost done and will launch soon.

I have recieved a brand new manual for the 73" Yak and that's where these couple of pics came from.

The new manual is really nice and seems concise and easy to follow. Quique said that he had had some comments that the 72" manual was weak... so in response... it's new and improved with lots of great pictures.

He also listened closely to the owners of the 72" and tried his best to answer the requests with balllinks, phenolic horns, titanium pushrods, CF wingtube, larger wing area, etc.

Quique will be attending the Toledo show to exhibit his planes and answer questions. There will be some exciting news for all released at the show. They are tight lipped about it all, and no need to call and inquire as they are busy packing for the show and won't tell you "jack".

I hope to be back on Sunday midday after attending the show myself and spill the beans online... if I can't figure out a way to do so sooner with my laptop... ;)

As far as when the 73's are coming... Quique told us all that they are due in mid-late April... as it's already the 4th... none of us have long to wait now.

ORIGINAL: anaconda

I would say that Maudib is holding out on us, what do you think guys?

Anaconda

akschu 04-04-2006 09:11 PM

Are you going to spill the beans on this thread or will I have to look elsewhere for the information?

Maudib 04-05-2006 05:56 AM

It's be in various threads... but for sure I'll hit this one too...

Maudib 04-05-2006 07:43 PM

O.K. guys... ready?

:)

The 73" Yaks are IN-STOCK!!!!! That's right... not on the boat, not on a freight train... but IN-STOCK as of yesterday. And even a few have been shipped out today.

Now before you run to the phone and try to call tonight or tomorrow... there's no use... Quique and Wayne are on their way to Toledo.

They will not have stock at Toledo so don't expect to show up and buy one at the show, but come first thing Monday they will ship out en masse starting with the waiting list that has built up significantly since the 72" ran out.

So take advantage of the next few days to order your last remaining items and have them arrive around the same time as your yak.

Quique spot checked a few and found them to be VERY NICE.... I am fortunate enough to be able to pick mine up Saturday at the show in order to get back and take pics for the website and share with you all on Sunday evening.

I can also share that the pricing structure has changed. No longer do the prices reflect free shipping, in order for people to better compare apples to apples. The prices have been reduced accordingly.

The 73" is a little different in that it contains an aweful lot of upgrades.

Price is $389.95 plus shipping. this will appear as a slight increase over the 72" but remember includes the CF wingtube, balllinks, titanium pushrods, larger wing area, etc... WAY more value than the increase...

Well, that's it... I got nothing more to spill.. Or do I... ;)

akschu 04-06-2006 07:34 PM

Maudib,

Does the new price still include wing bags?

Maudib 04-06-2006 07:54 PM

I believe so... As far as I understand nothing was removed, but rather items upgraded.

Phase I of the new site has launched...

You may visit it at:

http://www.qqaircraft.com

The http://www.somenzini.com site will soon be pointing to the new site as well.

Check out the PDF manual for the 73" there as well... it has lots of pictures and info to tide you over til next week.

Please peruse the site and feel free to e-mail me from the contact page (webmaster) with any problems, suggestions or comments... Quique wants this to be the best site it can be, and we can only do that by listening to the endusers for practical input...

Bob Pastorello 04-06-2006 08:08 PM

David - That is one HELL of a manual..... FIRST RATE!!! (And I've done my share, and sure read my share, too) This is top-drawer.

EMVIN 04-06-2006 08:24 PM

I just ordered one today. It was the tenth one sold according to the lady at Quique's Office. I have been on a waiting list for a few months now and today they called me. Should have it on Monday.... I have a Saito 220 and was thinking it would work with this plane......any feedback??

xtraflyr 04-06-2006 08:25 PM

WOW!! What a change in the site... Looks great,I can't see anything else to add or take off of it. I may have to sell my 72 and get the 73" with all the upgrades...:D

Later,
Frank

akschu 04-06-2006 08:30 PM

Hopefully they call me soon since I'm on the list. If not I'll call on monday.

The site looks great and the manual is killer.

schu

akschu 04-06-2006 08:36 PM

Here is a nice picture I took two summers ago when I got hooked on airplanes. Enjoy:

http://www.schu.net/gallery/main.php...serialNumber=1

Maudib 04-07-2006 07:25 AM

Bob and all..

Thanks for the great initial comments on the site.

As for the manual, I want to make sure that it's known I didn't write it but rather was given it and the new 85" manual by Quique to put on the new site.

I thought it was really nice and comprehensive too.

Well as you make use of the new site, if you find questions not answered, please e-mail me via the webmaster link so I can make appropriate changes to the site. Sometimes you can be so close to the project that glaring ommisions are missed.

shakes268 04-07-2006 10:52 AM

Molly just called, she left a voicemail message - they have gotten to my name on the list.
Decision time [:@] After flying my 85" QQ Yak, I had pretty much decided to just save up for the 102" Yak - but dangit, the 73" looks so good!!!!