RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/4210941-fliton-edge-540-freestyle-they-did-again.html)

drumbum 06-07-2006 08:54 PM

RE: FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

ORIGINAL: Vette2fast

Any more flight reports?.....Mine will be in monday . I m getting tired of waiting for good weather. What a bout you Drumbum....you started this thread....you still out there?

My projects have been on hold for about a month due to some marital issues that make a story to long to get into... I have decided E-power. but if anyone has followed me on other planes i have on other threads they will know im slow as molases in getting one ready. i currently have about 7 planes flying and about 20 or so in various stages of construction or repair and im slow.:D I used to be able to build a kit from start to finish in a week now im lucky to do an ARF in 2 months

tIANci 06-07-2006 09:35 PM

Drumbum - I know how you feel, I could finish a simple ARF in a day but recently its like:

EF Extra 300: 2-3 weeks
WM Super Chipmunk: 3-4 weeks

Molasses is the word! My Extra 330 has been in the hoby room for like 5-6 months and I have not even touched the Edge. EP will be great and I am going to go EP too. :)

sknx 06-09-2006 01:52 PM

Well, I got 2 flights yesterday in low winds. All my worries wen away. This plane flyes really nice. I still have to do some mixes on my radio but it locks amazingly in harriers. It's more stable than the Extra. Blenders are very fast and they flatten out quick ( I have to reduce the throws on elevator - high rate - 45 degrees is too much for me ).
Unfortunately on my second flight a senior guy just walk in with his plane from the parking lot and shot me down,. I could not believe it. He seems an experience guy and he did not checked the freq flags. There were 3 people on the whole field and he just turned his radio on. I was 25 ft from the ground in harrier when the plane started to act like a drunken chicken. I yelled my frequency and I saw the plane going one wing down in the grass.
Lucky me or lucky him , it seems it flatten out just before hitting the ground and it somehow pancake. The muffler broke and went trough the belly ( I found it inside the plane ) and the LG delaminated. I did not check it throughly but at first look everything else is OK.
I'm too pissed for the moment to touch it 2day, 3'rd flight and I already have to patch it. I absolutely hate it.

Boby

BasinBum 06-09-2006 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: sknx
There were 3 people on the whole field and he just turned his radio on.
Not nearly as crowded as the Basin but the same ole crap huh? At least at the Basin you have a lot of friends and can watch others crash in between flights.

Oh, and did I mention that we can do it all year long?

I bet you miss the place.

sknx 06-10-2006 07:23 PM

Richard,

I would take my chances any weekend at the Basin. With all it's loose rules it's safer than it seems. This field it's higly regulated ( there is a freq clip board, a mean guy drives his truck over the meadows every time just to check your AMA card and he never introduce himself, the deers are aware of dangers and they stay out of way ) but in my short time there I had some realy unexpected events. The president of the club ignores you completly when you yell takeoff or landing and he walks in front of you taxiing his trainer. When a newbie had big problems controling his plane and it was obvious he will loose control, 4 old boys were standing 15 ft behind him commenting and laughing bot no one offered to help him.
I believe I had to change the field. There is one called Trivillage a few miles away.
I might came in late summer to LA if you let me crash one of your planes :). If you need to hear it :

I MISS THE BASIN !!!!!!!!!

Boby

ah4k123 06-11-2006 09:14 PM

I flew three tanks through Edge 540 Freestyle again today........This plane is turning heads of my expirenced flying buddies!! They keep wondering how I got so good. I have been putting in a lot of SIM time but this plane does exactly what you ask it to do with the sticks and it's making me look good!!! I love this plane! I want to see video of one of you other freestyle flyers out there. :D

3DAP 06-11-2006 11:47 PM

NOTHING WORSE THAN PEOPLE WHO DO NOT CHECK FREQ BOARD BEFORE TURNING ON. Fortunately I have recently (since Oct) relocated and joined a new club. Only a handful of guys and no one has my channel, YET!!!!!!!!

There is no freq board there but when someone shows up, they walk down the line and ask everyone what channel and voice what they are on before even unloading their stuff. Every one is polite and very nice. I wonder how long before a yahoo shows up???

Where I used to fly If someone breaks it they buy it. Regardless of excuses, THAT IS TOTALLY BOGUS. Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

I am waiting on some funds for one. Hoping to drop my Saito 100 in. GOOD LUCK 3DAP

3DAP 06-12-2006 12:04 AM

How does this plane 3d? Harriers, Hovers ect.
Any bad habits like tip stalling?
Is anybody using a matchbox to hook up elev servos?

BasinBum 06-12-2006 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: 3DAP

NOTHING WORSE THAN PEOPLE WHO DO NOT CHECK FREQ BOARD BEFORE TURNING ON.
Except maybe people who post a question that has been answered within the last couple of posts.

I wonder how long before a yahoo shows up???
If you have to wonder it might already be to late, it may be you.

ah4k123 06-12-2006 07:37 AM

3DAP, harrier in my opinion is what this plane excels at the most. After I finally dialed in the battery and receiver location (behind the wing tube) it locks into a hover quite nicely. I'm still working on learning to do harrier rolls smoothly, but I have no doubt that the plane is ready, but I need more SIM time to perfect it before making my plane look good doing them. Absolutely no tip stalling - this plane has no bad habits. I have seen some have concerns with the wing loading stats, but this baby floates in like a trainer and feels light when you fly it!!!

3DAP 06-12-2006 08:43 PM

Sweeeet.. Thankx for the info.

I have A Saito 100 ready or a OS fx 91 2 stroker. Which one??????

How is knife edge flight???? Thankx for your info 3DAP

ah4k123 06-12-2006 09:05 PM

I have the OS 91FX on mine and i'n my opinion it's perfect. I have never had a 4 stroke....so I may not be the best judge. The plane KE's well at speed. Not comfortable enough yet to try a slow high alpha KE on the deck, but I do a lot of them up a little and with speed. The plane also couples towards the belly just a little.

Let me know what you decide on motor wise..................

Vette2fast 06-13-2006 08:33 AM

I have the 100 in mine and I think it is perfect.I am still playing with the prop and i cant make up my mind on which one I like more the apc 15 x 6 or the apc 16 x 4 w. the are both good on this plane.

3DAP 06-13-2006 10:19 PM

Your last couple of posts are not even on subject. Mine were commenting on how it sucks to be around people who do not care and think it is funny to watch someone get shot down, Also regarding info on the Fliton Edge.

I guess you could not resist the urge.

You would not be the president would you?

Only in California can you experience this all year round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

3DAP 06-13-2006 10:40 PM

How does the 91 pull it out of hover? I have it in a 60 size extra 300 and it will barely pull it out. I am hoping the Fliton Edge is actually only about 5 pounds. I am sure it would do it then. How much is yours weighed in at? 3dap

NJAIRSTRIKE 06-15-2006 01:28 AM

is it me or the screw that goes on the rudder for the pull pull is too short to reach the other side to put the nuts and hold the 2 clevis together? For the 2 servo's setup for the elevator, what kind of servo's are you guys using? Would the HS-85 Mini servo's work? Thanks

NJAIRSTRIKE 06-15-2006 01:29 AM

Thanks

Vette2fast 06-15-2006 10:10 AM

I am usuing the 5245 minis in my tail.......how do the 85's compare to these in torq?

Vette2fast 06-15-2006 10:12 AM

I just checked the torq on the 85's and I dont think it will be enough.

NJAIRSTRIKE 06-15-2006 10:49 AM

If you think about it the HS-85 has 48.6 oz-in so X 2 = 97.2 oz -in. The reason I ask is because I have 2 MG versions. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks.

How about the rudder question? I meant to say rudder control horn not clevis lol

Vette2fast 06-15-2006 03:38 PM

I threw out all the hardware that came with the edge. The clevises will bend under preasure. I used du-bro for mine. I used a 5625 on my rudder.

Vette2fast 06-15-2006 03:40 PM

I meant control horns, not clevis......I did not use the clevises that came with the kit either though.

NJAIRSTRIKE 06-15-2006 06:16 PM

okay here's a question. THe mini servo ARMS arent giving enough throw for the elevator. I will be using the HS-85 servo so does anyone know where I can get larger servo arms cause I really need alot of throw. Thanks

sj3cub 06-16-2006 12:01 AM

Building my Edge now guys, Just bought a new ys 63 s 4s. What would the best prop be for good 3d on this engine?

Regards,
Scott

BasinBum 06-16-2006 06:46 AM

APC 13x6 or 13 x4W.