RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/4455981-great-planes-reactor-gp-ep-3d-arf-46-70-a.html)

Celidon 01-11-2007 11:08 PM

RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

I'm a noob to mounting a glow engine. I am planning on using an Evolution 2-stroke. Will it be OK to mount it 45 degrees down?

JustErik 01-12-2007 08:03 AM

Celidon,

Absolutely. In fact, that's how the manual shows a 2-stroke install. It puts the muffler on the bottom of the fuse and looks pretty clean. What size evolution are you using? I've read that those are pretty decent engines. It should do well.

Erik

RobertC 01-12-2007 12:28 PM

Actually, Erik, there is padding UNDER the tank (and the velcro tie holds the tank snug against the padding). I guess that I could add some on the sides, but I've never had a problem doing it like this. My VenusII (see avatar) is the new home of my YS .91 and I did the same thing (again, stock tank mounted at C.G.) and have not had any problems.

JustErik 01-12-2007 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: RobertC

Actually, Erik, there is padding UNDER the tank (and the velcro tie holds the tank snug against the padding). I guess that I could add some on the sides, but I've never had a problem doing it like this. My VenusII (see avatar) is the new home of my YS .91 and I did the same thing (again, stock tank mounted at C.G.) and have not had any problems.

Robert,

How very clever of you. :) :) I'm stealing all your ideas, you know. :) Thanks again for helping me out.

Erik

RobertC 01-12-2007 11:04 PM

Feel free to copy all you like Erik (they are probably not *my* ideas anyway :)) I am glad that I can help. I should get the rest of the plane finished this weekend.

GarySS 01-13-2007 09:37 PM

Hello all Reactor owners,

Has anyone converted the standard rudder control to a pull-pull arrangement? If so, was it difficult to get the alignment correct and the fuselage hole spacing accurate, etc? What engine and where was the rudder servo placed? OR is the factory design adequate in this case? Thanks!!!

RobertC 01-14-2007 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary, I didn't attempt to mount the rudder-servo in a pull-pull arangement but I did notice that there appears to be pre-cut slots for the cable exits at the rear of the fuselage. Given the single plywood support in the center of the fuselage (where the rudder servo would go for this type of setup), it shouldn't be difficult. Question is, could you get the plane to balance like this? Are you thinking of using a *really* light engine?

I finished-up mounting the engine/muffler. I used the OS .70FS 90-degree elbow and the stock YS muffler. Worked-out perfect-- puts the muffler right where I wanted it. I opened-up the bottom of the cowl (for cooling as glow-plug access) as well as a bit more in front of the cylinder.

Only thing left to do is mount the battery/RX and balance. Once the snow clears (next weekend?) I should get a chance to fly!

Don M. 01-14-2007 03:44 PM

RobertC it kinda looks like we have the same tastes in planes and Avatars I to am going to be putting together a Reactor and YS .63 :D We must be related :D

Anyway my question is about your OS 70FS elbow. It looks like it fits with no mods eh ? Did you brace the muffler ? Do you think the vibration will cause a problem in the exhaust system now that it is so long. I have a similiar set up on my Venus II but I have a flex pipe between muffler and elbow.

GarySS 01-14-2007 05:28 PM

Hi Robert, If I bot a Reactor I would use my Saito .82 so the engine wouldn't be that light. I was just wondering what the rudder control options might be. Thanks. I have also noted that a lot of people are using metal spinners so they aren't necessarily cutting weight in that department. .........

Ernie Misner 01-15-2007 02:20 AM

Thanks Bluehawk. I guess I just don't like having to put the glow igniter on from the bottom of the plane. What would the drawbacks be to mounting it horizontally in a Reactor? Throttle, cutting up the cowl more?

thanks!

Ernie

RobertC 01-15-2007 12:42 PM

Hi Don-- yeah, nice taste in planes that you have there! :) What can I say-- GP has some terrific models (and I have a soft-spot for pattern ships) and I love YS four-strokes!

Yes, the OS 90-degree elbow fit with no problem. I thought about using the Performance Specialties elbow but it says on the webpage that "these adapters do not fit the stock mufflers." Probably a generalization, and maybe it would fit the stock YS muffler (and certainly be lighter than the elbow/pipe/muffler setup that I am using). Best-case would be using the P.S. elbow/muffer combo but this was the least expensive way to go. The header-pipe will go fairly far into the muffler so I don't think that vibration will be a problem but you bring-up a good point. I'll certainly let you know if I find a problem!

Gary, I still have not had a chance to balance my plane but I suspect that you would need to locate the rudder servo in the rear for balance. I am sure that the .82 would be a great engine for this plane!

JustErik 01-15-2007 01:22 PM

Robert,

Regarding the Performance Specialties elbow, they do make one that fits the stock muffler; it's the same price as the one that only fits their muffler. I only know this because I mistakenly ordered the wrong one. :) Mr. Shadel and company, however, took care of me and now I have the correct one. I haven't weighed it or reached the point of installation yet, but it appears to be a quality piece.

bluehawkbm 01-15-2007 08:27 PM

Ernie,
I agree that putting on the glow ignitor on and inverted engine is a bit of a pain. I haven't gotten around to mounting my motor or throttle sevo yet but it does look like a horizonal mounted engine would require cutting up the cowl quit a bit. If your main concern is the glow plug ignitor, why not use a remote ignitor. That would solve your problem. Tower Hobbies carries these. Here is the link
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD693&P=7

Celidon 01-15-2007 10:52 PM

Good call Blue. I am now going to install a remote glo ignitor port. The only holes I should need in the cowl will be for cooling and an extension for my needle valve. :)

cmala3 01-16-2007 03:58 PM

How do you guys think this plane will fly with an OS 46FX? That's all I have to put in it right now. Do you think it will be underpowered for 3D stuff?

FNG 01-16-2007 04:51 PM

I dont think you would be able to hover with 46fx, or only just hover and no pullout.

Mark

Ernie Misner 01-16-2007 05:02 PM

Thanks for the link Bluehawk. After drilling the hole in the cowl, will the receptacle be mounted directly to the cowl, or onto a bracket/firewall?

Thanks,

Ernie

Celidon 01-16-2007 05:26 PM

cmala3,

The AX seems to have more power than the FXi. I have an FXi in my NexStar and it seems to have a lot of power though. I can almost hover it and it is a big high wing plane. I would guess it will depend on your final weight and balancing. The Reactor is going to come in around 6 lbs I would guess and my Nexstar is at least a half pound heavier so I bet you will be surprised by the performance you will get. Bump up to 15% fuel, if you have not already, and that should give you a little performance boost as well.

I am throwing in an Evolution 46NT which I feel has more power than the OS so I will let ya know when I get airborne. I am in Ohio though so it may be a while until I get to fly... [&o]

Celidon 01-16-2007 05:27 PM

Anyone looking at the Hanger 9 Twist 150? I may build one and put in a 26cc gas engine.

bluehawkbm 01-16-2007 08:27 PM

Ernie,
On the remote ignitor there is enough wire to mount it anywhere toward the front of the plane. You pretty much just drill a hole where convinient and glue it in.

Guillermito 01-19-2007 12:09 AM

Hello RobertC, I have a YS 63S and I like the Reactor, I am sure that it must fly very well.
You used in your model the hinges and accessories of the Kit?

Thanks. Greetings from Argentina.

RobertC 01-19-2007 11:42 AM

Hi Guillermito,

Yes, I built the kit with everything "stock" except I did not use the plastic clevises (for connecting to control-horns or servo-arms). CA hinges, control-horns, engine mount, etc. were all used as supplied with the ARF.

I still have been too busy with work to get a chance to install the battery/RX. Hopefully this weekend!

Ernie Misner 01-19-2007 03:04 PM

>>> On the remote ignitor there is enough wire to mount it anywhere toward the front of the plane. You pretty much just drill a hole where convinient and glue it in. >>>

Ahhhh, as in get it out of the cowl completely and maybe into the nose of the plane above or below the tank maybe?

Thanks,

Ernie

bluehawkbm 01-19-2007 04:34 PM

Ernie,
A good place would be just behind the cowl through the fuselage.

Celidon 01-19-2007 11:32 PM

Post some pics of your remote glow ignitor installations so we can see what you all are doing.