RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/4455981-great-planes-reactor-gp-ep-3d-arf-46-70-a.html)

JustErik 02-06-2007 04:26 PM

RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

ORIGINAL: Celidon
I drilled a hole in the tank. [X(] (what an idiot...) I am waiting for a replacement.
Man, I seem to do something like that on EVERY plane I have. :) On my reactor, I slipped while installing a control horn and made a nice big slit in the rudder covering. I hate it when that happens. :)

Celidon 02-06-2007 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. For you two strokers out there, this plane is equipped with an Evolution 46 NT. I did not have to butcher the cowl too badly. Not bad for my first time doing a cowling. You can see what I did as a temp fix for for the elevator problem till I get a reversing y harness. Hope I uploaded the pics so you can see em.

cmala3 02-06-2007 08:43 PM

I drilled a hole in the tank. [X(] (what an idiot...) I am waiting for a replacement.

I will let you know tonight if I figure out the electronics issue.
OMG....I can't believe you drilled a hole in the tank.....!!!

I did the exact same thing except I was routing my fuel tubing for the fill valve when I drilled a hole in the tank. :)

bluehawkbm 02-06-2007 08:44 PM

Guys I have flown mine with the antenna wire running through the tube in the plane with no problems. I have a Funtana 90 that also has a tube through the fuse for the antenna and have been flying it you 3 years with no problems. However if I was experiencing jittering servos I would run the antenna on the outside of the plane to see if it helped.

cmala3 02-06-2007 08:49 PM

I like the way that engine install worked out. It's at 135 degrees right? I wouldn't have to drill new holes in the firewall for the engine mount just rotate it and redo my throttle cable......and get a new cowl. I think I'm going to do that though because right now I'm getting oil on my servos. I would be better off with the exhaust under the plane instead of down the side. Isn't the internet cool? :)

Can you show a pic of the exhaust exiting the cowl?

Craig

Celidon 02-06-2007 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go. I am going to like having the exaust coming out the bottom. I hope it helps with the clean up.

cmala3 02-07-2007 12:24 AM

Thanks Celidon. That's the way to mount a 2-stroke in this plane. It's like the old saying, I didn't have time to do it right the first time but I have time to do it over. Oh well, too darn cold to fly anyway. I already ordered a new cowl.

JustErik 02-07-2007 07:24 AM

Nice pics, Celidon! I think it turned out great. I'm anxious to hear a flight report with that Evo .46. I've heard they are pretty powerful engines. Your solution for the elevators is exactly what I would have done while waiting for a reversing Y-harness. You may have some issues with differential elevator throw or perhaps see a little bit of rolling due to varying amounts of throw between the halves, but it should fly well enough to get a feel for the plane.

Celidon 02-07-2007 11:52 AM

I will have time to get the harness before the maiden. We just got three inches of snow last night and the wind chills are it -10 here in Columbus so I won't be flying for a while. I am a teacher and we have been out of school for three days due to extreme cold.

I wish Realflight G3 had a Reactor on it I could fly...[:o]

JustErik 02-07-2007 12:04 PM

I will have time to get the harness before the maiden. We just got three inches of snow last night and the wind chills are it -10 here in Columbus so I won't be flying for a while. I am a teacher and we have been out of school for three days due to extreme cold.

I wish Realflight G3 had a Reactor on it I could fly...[:o]
Agreed about RF...I also wish it had some good profile ships like a MoJo or something similar. :) I'm in VA and we just got some snow as well. I won't be flying anytime soon. :(

Ernie Misner 02-07-2007 03:53 PM

Celidon, which reversing cord are you getting. Have a link? I'm curious about the different ones available. I'll need one too!

Thanks,

Ernie PS - I think Erik is right about getting uneven throws with that angle the one pushrod has. With an angle like that it will have more throw in one direction than the other..... unless... maybe you can trick that out with your tx.

Celidon 02-07-2007 03:59 PM

I am probably going to get the Futaba SR10 Dual Servo Reverser http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm4150.html. Tower has it for $34.99. If anyone knows of a comparable alternative that is cheaper, chime in.

Ernie Misner 02-07-2007 04:08 PM

Celidon, I'm thinking that Futaba reverser might be more than what we need. It is quite pricey and for large scale planes, plus it weighs .9 oz. They have the EMS reverser cord for $18.99 and I have heard good things about it....?

Thanks,

Ernie

cmala3 02-07-2007 06:34 PM

I can't find the one I got. I got at the LHS for around $6. It is just a y-harness but it reverses one of the servos. I'm not sure who made it. It fits my Futaba and works just fine.

This one is similar for $10
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...=racc014&img=l

Celidon 02-07-2007 08:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys. I looked closer in the Tower cat adn saw the one from EMS. I am going to go that route. It is lighter and almost half the cost. Once I get that and the new tank I am on the home stretch.

Now for my next stupid question. This being my first glow ARF, all my other glow planes were RTF's, I am curious how to plumb my fuel system. I have three lines running out of my tank, one to the carb on to the exaust and one as the filler, correct? What are my options to set up my filler so I do not have to disconnect the line from my exaust every time I fill up?

Thanks in advance.

GarySS 02-07-2007 09:56 PM

The neatest way to handle this is to run the third line to a fuel dot which is mounted through the fuselage or cowl. This holds the full tube and neatly plugs it while in flight. The third line is placed on a brass tube running through the rubber stopper that is curled down to the bottom of the fuel tank. The big negatiave to this is the cost for these little "gems". See link for a source: http://centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fuel_...s/tetdots.html

Celidon 02-08-2007 12:03 AM

I think I am confused. I will have a fill line that I can let hang if needs be or use the fuel dot, but how do I tell if I am full without pulling the line from the exaust every time to watch for overflow, or am I stuck with that by design?

Ernie Misner 02-08-2007 02:29 PM

Unless you pull that line off of the muffler each time, you'll have to just watch for the flow of fuel through that piece of tubing as the tank gets full. (if it is visable) Worst case scenerio is that you'll flood some fuel into the muffler.

Ernie

diggs_74 02-08-2007 04:49 PM

I put a "T" in the line to the muffler and put a fuel dot on that as well.. Some will still go into the muffler but not as much and you'll know it's full and you won't have to get at the muffler..

cmala3 02-08-2007 06:29 PM

I got a few more flight in today with the OS 46. With the balance point where it should be, the reactor is much more reactive but I still don't think the 46 will be enough for hovering. That's fine for now though because I think it will take me awhile to get used to flying this plane. The control surfaces are so huge that I'm still using the dual rates to cut down the throw so that I can control it. This is the first plane I have flown in about 7 years so I need to practice some. The plane will slow way down and is still very controllable at slow speeds so landings are easy.

Come on warm, non-windy days!! :)

Craig

Celidon 02-08-2007 08:33 PM

Great to hear Craig! What have you got your rates set at?

Tom Simes 02-09-2007 02:25 AM

ORIGINAL: cmala3

I was able to shift some things around and balance the plane without the brass prop nut. Actually, I was a little nose heavy before so now I'm closer to the balance point listed in the manual.
I'm also switching to a little lower pitch prop. I was running an 11x8 so I'm going to try an 11x7 and 11x6 to see what the difference is. Maybe with the reduced weight and better balance I will see some improved performance with this .46FX......we'll see.

Wow, I think those props are just too much for your motor. On my .46 AX in a Somethin' Extra I normally run either a 10.5 x 6 or 11 x 5 APC props. Try the 11x6 first, and think about going to a lower pitch (smaller 2nd number). I believe you mentioned wanting to try 3D, and generally for that kind of flying a larger diameter (like 11 inch for a .46) lower pitch (like 4) is better.

roboto65 02-09-2007 11:04 AM

I will have this plane soon but on my profiles with a 46fx I use a 12x3.75 APC prop and they hang quite nice. I will be using a O.S 70 surpass on this one.

cmala3 02-09-2007 11:18 AM

I've got some new props on the way so I'll see what happens. I'm not ready to buy a new engine yet anyway. I think I have an 11x6 on the way so I"ll try it and then maybe an 11x5.

I have my rates setup per the 3D rates in the manual, and with the dual rates, I have it set at the max movement for sport flying and it's very controllable but still quite a bit of movement. I didn't have enough rudder movement with the dual rates on for the 6-10 mph winds to be able to taxi so I"ll take the rudder dual rates off.

Freezing rain and sleet today....

bluehawkbm 02-09-2007 08:23 PM

Celidon,

I have used the fuel setup you have mentioned for years. One line with cluck to the carb, one line with cluck for filling and unfilling the tank and one tube bent to the top of the tank for pressure from the muffler.
As you fill the tank with either a manual or electric pump you can detect when it is almost full by a difference in the sound of the pump. I almost always have a small amount of fuel go into the muffler and drain out on the ground, but that don't hurt a thing. I have used this method on upright , side mounted and inverted engines and have never had a problem.