RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   O.S. FSa-81 engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/6819588-o-s-fsa-81-engine.html)

mart o 12-29-2007 12:48 AM

O.S. FSa-81 engine

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this recently released engine. I was going to get the Saito 82 to put in a Funtana X50 & then I saw the OS so haven't decided yet. It's quit a bit more money than the Saito so what do you get extra for your money other than the OS name?
Specs are:
weight - 556g 19.63oz
Power - 1.3ps / 1100 rpm (What is ps?)
Practical rpm range - 2,200 to 12,000

AKFireMedic 12-29-2007 02:11 AM

RE: O.S. FSa-81 engine

I love O.S. 2 strokes, but for the money. You CAN NOT beat a Saito! The 82 flat rocks! Nuff said.

Ken6PPC 12-29-2007 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: mart o

SNIP

ps = BS! All HP ratings are pretty much meaningless.

I have three Saito 82's, and they are VERY fine engines. There is NO WAY the OS 81 could possibly be worth $95 more than the Saito 82.

It seems to me that OS's price is more of a wish than a real price, and is probably meant to "feel out" what the market will bear. Personally, I hope OS doesn't sell ANY of those engines at that price, lest ALL engine manufacturers raise their prices ~$100@.

Uh-Oh! 12-29-2007 08:54 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this recently released engine. I was going to get the Saito 82 to put in a Funtana X50 & then I saw the OS so haven't decided yet. It's quit a bit more money than the Saito so what do you get extra for your money other than the OS name?
Specs are:
weight - 556g 19.63oz

You get an extra 2.03 ounces of weight and a really cool blue valve cover!

My experiences with the old O.S. FS 70 S2 has been very positive and I'm sure the FSa 81 will be a great engine as well but, in my experience, the Saito FA 72/82 are every bit as good, if not better, than the O.S..

I say, save your money, save the weight, get the Saito. If you really really want to, you can paint the Saito valve covers blue too!:D

Ken6PPC 12-29-2007 08:58 AM

Specs are:
weight - 556g 19.63oz

Oh yeah.... My Funtana X50 was propelled by one of my Saito 82's, and that engine produced more power than it could handle. While doing a snap roll, the left wing snapped off, and decided to go it's own way! Naturally, the plane was a total loss, but the engine is working wonderfully in the Showtime 50 I got to replace the X50.

If you buy an X50, be sure to reglue all of the surfaces you can get to - especially the wing spars near the fuselage! I am not the only guy to snap a wing on one of these!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4537167

I have a picture of what was left of my wing, and if you are interested, I'll try to find it to post. It looked much like the one in the link above.

mart o 12-29-2007 11:12 AM

That worrys me Ken6PCC about the wing failure, with it being a pre build you cant see the center of the wing at all. I already figured I have a Friday model because the wing bolts didn't lign up with the captive nuts too good and some of the pre cut slots for the aileron hinges were of center. otherwise it looks OK. I think I'll shop for the Saito, but I'm tempted to try a 46 two stroke first just because Hangar 9 spec that and I have one available. Most posts I read say that the 4 stroke is the way to go but I'm still curious to know a 2 strokes performance on this plane.

bbagle1 12-29-2007 03:04 PM

If you do go with a four stroke I would try something bigger than a 46. An OS 55 or even a light 90 would do quite a bit better I would think.