RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Quick U-CAN-DO 46 Servo question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/7673278-quick-u-can-do-46-servo-question.html)

Axel40 06-29-2008 02:00 AM

Quick U-CAN-DO 46 Servo question

Guys,

I am in the build of the 46 size and I'm salvaging a few bits here and there from other planes I'm not flying right now. I have to hand 2 very good, high torque (6.2 KG) servos.

Where would you put them?

Elevator or Ailerons please?

Rest of the control surfaces will be a bit less 'torquey' but will be fine.

I'm powering it with a .70 4 Stroke btw.

Thanks all :)

airborneSGT 06-29-2008 02:28 AM

RE: Quick U-CAN-DO 46 Servo question

I used Hitec 5945's and 5925's on mine. Used a lipo pack and a saito 82. I made CF control rods all around and wow did that plane have authority!

Axel40 06-29-2008 02:31 AM

Thanks airborne,

But which surface do I put the strongest pair of servos on please? :D

gunfighterII 06-29-2008 06:18 AM

Axel,
IMHO, the best servo always goes to the rudder in 3D. The other to the elevator.

Since you need 2 for the elevator, I would buy a good rudder servo.

mikeboyd 06-29-2008 03:21 PM

I have one of the oldest UCD .46s in San Antonio. I have worn out standard servos on it, two engines and it has more packing tape than covering. I ended up with Futaba 3010's on ailerons and Rudder and 3004's on the elevators, running a 6 volt battery. They seem to handle the Hyp .50 OS engine just fine.

If you are flying off grass, you may need to replace the landing gear platform soon, as it is notoriously weak. I redid mine with 1/4 AC ply, doubled and pinned, with glass cloth over the top. That setup has lasted nearly four years, through many fun fly's and rough harrier landings.

I just ordered a Giant UCD from Tower this week and am mulling over what engine to put on it. I have four Glow and three gas engines to consider, they are a Moki 2.10, MDS 2.18, ST3250, or STL 50cc Twin (possibly way to heavy) XY .50, STL .50, or DL50. Anyone with any experience would be greatly appreciated to you to share it.

Thanks,
Mike Boyd

Axel40 06-30-2008 02:49 AM

Thanks guys, always helpful here, as usual [8D]

Mikeboyd, so you preferred your pair of 3010's on the Ailerons as opposed to say the Elevator? Interesting....care to elucidate? :)

gunfighterII 06-30-2008 06:10 AM

Axel,
It's a must to reinforce the landing gear plate and the firewall on this plane before you fly.

I did the same as Mike and cut out the LG plate and replaced it with 1/4" aircraft ply, I doubled mine as I fly off a rough field.

I'm using a 3010 on the rudder and 9001's on the rest of the plane, mini for the throttle of course. 6 volt.

mikeboyd 06-30-2008 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Axel40

Mikeboyd, so you preferred your pair of 3010's on the Ailerons as opposed to say the Elevator? Interesting....care to elucidate? :)
The Ailerons surface area is huge on this plane, so I chose the 3010's for them and the Rudder, because the rudder, in knife edge has allot of blow-back loading from the prop wash. Since the elevatore are the smallest, I originally installed 3004's which produce about 55 ounces at 6 volts. After I wrote the reply, I went to the hangar and looked, and did replace them with 3010's as well and reinforced the rods with 2/56 nuts, glue and aluminum tubing, to prevent the pushing flex in the linkage system on the UCD.

I am anxiously awaiting delivering of the GUCD and have decide on either the Moki 2.10 or STL 52 cc gas engine, whichever mounts and balances the best with all the servos in the tail...

Best of Luck with your UCD .46, it is without a doubt one of the most docile, and fun 3D planes out there. I also have a Reactor and GB Matrix, but neither slows down for fun stuff, like the UCD, with it's thick foil and low wing loading.

Axel40 06-30-2008 02:28 PM

Thanks again guys.

Mike, glad to hear it a nice plane to fly, makes me happy I bought this one:) I'm putting 3010's on it, not all the way around as I also have a few 3004's hanging about so I may as well use em, I'm sure they will do fine at 6V.

.46 is a laugh though, the fuse alone is an inch longer than my 60 size pulse :D

mikeboyd 06-30-2008 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mikeboyd

The Ailerons surface area is huge on this plane, so I chose the 3010's for them and the Rudder, because the rudder, in knife edge has allot of blow-back loading from the prop wash. Since the elevatore are the smallest, I originally installed 3004's which produce about 55 ounces at 6 volts. After I wrote the reply, I went to the hangar and looked, and did replace them with 3010's as well and reinforced the rods with 2/56 nuts, glue and aluminum tubing, to prevent the pushing flex in the linkage system on the UCD.

I am anxiously awaiting delivering of the GUCD and have decide on either the Moki 2.10 or STL 52 cc gas engine, whichever mounts and balances the best with all the servos in the tail...

Best of Luck with your UCD .46, it is without a doubt one of the most docile, and fun 3D planes out there. I also have a Reactor and GB Matrix, but neither slows down for fun stuff, like the UCD, with it's thick foil and low wing loading.
Axel, make sure you reinforce the landing gear, as already mentioned. My plane weighs 5.2 pounds, with an OS Hype 50 Helo engine and a Tower muffler. I am using an APC 12.25X 3.75 prop. I think the new OS .55 AX would rock on this airplane with a Tower muffler on it, and I believe it is less expensive than the Hype Helo engine.

Good luck with you build, please share your first flight experiences with us. Here in Texas, a Yippee, Kiyaye is usually followed with a girlish giggle, then a quick refuel, to really find out if it really is that much fund to fly.

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd

Axel40 07-04-2008 07:29 AM

"Fun to fly??" bet your ass it is :D

Mike, I maidened today, weather was pretty much perfect. Took her up, few clicks here and there for trim and there she was. I'm balanced about 5 1/4" from the LE at the fuse btw. AUW is 6 pound 4 ounces if I can trust my kitchen scales :D

Plane tracked wonderfully and I even had a few hovers 2-3 mistakes high but when it falls out the hover it just gently floats away on the prop, awesome fun.

I stuck to low rates for today (had about 4 flights) but I will be setting them high for the next go.

I made the mistake of going with a 14x4W (Magnum .70) but I will switch it out for a 13x4W (picked one up on the way home actually) as I was only making 8200 rpm.

I think I'll see an improvement.

These things can hold a massive amount of AoA, it's almost freaky:)

So much fun for beginners in 3D.

Anyway I can't fly again for 4-5 days or more as the weather is taking a turn for the worse from tomorrow but you can bet I'll be back out soon as it clears up.

Seriously, a great fun aeroplane, I can't get enough!!

mikeboyd 07-04-2008 12:16 PM

"Fun to fly??" bet your ass it is :D

Mike, I maidened today, weather was pretty much perfect. Took her up, few clicks here and there for trim and there she was. I'm balanced about 5 1/4" from the LE at the fuse btw. AUW is 6 pound 4 ounces if I can trust my kitchen scales :D

Plane tracked wonderfully and I even had a few hovers 2-3 mistakes high but when it falls out the hover it just gently floats away on the prop, awesome fun.

I stuck to low rates for today (had about 4 flights) but I will be setting them high for the next go.

I made the mistake of going with a 14x4W (Magnum .70) but I will switch it out for a 13x4W (picked one up on the way home actually) as I was only making 8200 rpm.

I think I'll see an improvement.

These things can hold a massive amount of AoA, it's almost freaky:)

So much fun for beginners in 3D.

Anyway I can't fly again for 4-5 days or more as the weather is taking a turn for the worse from tomorrow but you can bet I'll be back out soon as it clears up.

Seriously, a great fun aeroplane, I can't get enough!!
My first UCD .46 was one of the promotional/introductory models, that I was fortunate enough to be in the LHS when the two kits arrived. I also installed an OS .70. I used an APC 14x4W with great success, but we are only between 600-800' above sea level. The engine performed great on Byron's 15% fuel. I got several other pilots addicted with this plane, and they immediately oredered theirs. My friend Jason (who now works for Hobbico) finally got his and started experimenting with helo engines and higher nitro fuels. Most of us ended up with Hyp .50's running between 15-20% nitro and either an APC 12X4 or 12.25X3.75W props. The later is a hardier prop if flying off grass. I usually fly mine on high/3D rates all the time. I put enough expo in the make it soft in the center stick, since I am an old, shaky man of 60.

Some of the top 3D pilots in our area have flown mine, and advised not to change a thing. I am pretty close to the factory recommend rates, but my CG has been moved back to the rear limits, which requires a slight forward elevator stick pressure on landings and almost no stick pressure to fly inverted and half throttle.
Don't go too far back all at once on your CG, ease into it. Most of us just move the battery pack rearward to do this. I started with my 5 cell AAA pack up by the tank, but now have it firmly velcro'd in the furthest accessible area behind the servo tray area. I don't fly with a cowl anymore, which also takes off nose weight on the heavy Hyp .50 and I use a light GP, aluminum back-plated, nylon cone spinner.

Glad to hear it has worked out so well. I would suggest leaving the wheel pants off, if you are flying off grass, and haven't reinforced the landing gear mounting system, since it will be only a matter of time on grass runways until it breaks loose. The wheel pants will go through the wing which is a PITA to repair and make it look decent.

Have a happy fourth of July,
Mike Boyd
AMA 7197