RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   U-Can-Do 3d 46? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/817264-u-can-do-3d-46-a.html)

high in da sky 07-16-2003 02:34 AM

RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

do you think that 3d would be good with this plane using a tt 61 pro for power as i really dint want to spend more on the engine than i do on the plane

PowerPlay 07-16-2003 03:09 AM

Dylan

This plane does not need dual elevator servos. It is just extra weight and cost. I have a Flip that I joined the elevator halves with a small piece of plywood attached across the underside of both. A piece of carbon fiber plate would be perfect.

To do this simply place the joining plate on the top or bottom of the elevator . Then mark the radius of the joiner plate on the fuselage and cut it out. It will be more or less a 1/4 circle. Then simply glue the elevators together

Mike Rojas 07-16-2003 03:42 AM

Chuck,spend the extra money and get the Saito 100 !!You won't be sorry,I can promise you.
Mike

painly 07-16-2003 03:02 PM

i was about to cop out and get a .61 stroke, but i was at the feild last week and there were a few 4 strokes running around, the sound alone made up my mind, and not to mention the flight characteristics. i think this plane, being designed for very slow flight in most situations, really is made for a 4 stroke.

so i got a saito 91 commin any day i hope. and also a 9 cap i bought for this plane (which ofcourse will make all my other planes way more fun), i think this plane kinda broke me, but it will be fun.

NeoGenesis 07-18-2003 03:37 PM

Just ordered mine and a Saito 100 is joining it on it's journey to my house. After reading this thread, I can't wait!!!!!

Neo

mvigod 07-18-2003 04:02 PM

Originally posted by rwh
Well, I spent the whole day flying my 46 UCD. Tried to find a good hovering prop for my OS 61FX. I ordered every prop in the book last week. Tried a 13X4, 13X5, 12.5X6, 14X4, 14X5, 14X6, 13X8. I got calluses on the palm of my hand from reaming out all those props at the field.

Then I tried removing the baffle from the muffler, and cycled through all those props again. The result? Tailslides out of a hover with every one. The 12.5X6 came closest to holding a hover.

I had four people at the field who got interested in my project, and one of them suggested a 12.25X3.75, and sure enough, it was able to slowly pull itself up and out of a hover. With that prop, it turned 13,800 on the ground, unloaded quite a bit more in the air. With no baffle it was a real screamer!

I've had it! Out with the 61FX, and in with a Saito 91. I don't know if I'll buy another, or haul the one I have out of another plane.

... I also had quite a few mixture problems with the inverted setup resulting in a few deadsticks .... and we had some heavy weather at the field, with a gusty crosswind during most of the day. I've pancaked the UCD into the dirt, stalled and slammed it onto the field (resulting in totally flattened gear), and dumped it down into the tall grass behind the apple trees. Not a crack or a mark in the plane after all this abuse.

I know I'm gonna like this plane, but Scotty, get those dilithium crystals glowing white, we need more power!

I hovered one yesterday with a OS 50SX and it had unlimited vertical as well. I don't know why your 61fx isn't holding it unless it is not tuned correctly, worn out or severely propped wrong. Also, the one I flew had 3/4lb or so of lead up front and still had unlimited vertical and would hold hover and pull out.

GarySS 07-18-2003 08:29 PM

Is that 3/4 pounds as in 12 ounces! Am I reading you correctly?!!!This sounds like the Midwest Stearman!

Bad Tooth 07-19-2003 03:46 AM

You could really hover this plane with a 50sx!? Please tell me more!

mvigod 07-19-2003 03:53 AM

The guy at my field told me he had about that much lead up front. Knowing him though it might be a little more or little less in reality (he's not that detail oriented!). Anyway from what I read here I was expecting it NOT to hover with the OS 50SX and all that weight. Well, it did hover and can pull out. Not like a rocket ship but the vertical is unlimited at full throttle. I did the maiden for him and flew it the majority of the next 3 flights. Fun plane I will say.

I'm almost done with my own which I'm reviewing for the RCU magazine. Mine has the OS 70 Four Stroke up front. I wanted the extra weight and power after reading what many wrote in this thread. It will be interesting to see how mine performs with the 70. Of course I'll have video so if a picture is worth a thousand words the video should be worth a couple million :)

smokingcrater 07-20-2003 06:29 PM

just got back from the maiden flight of my ucd 46... I've got an irvine .53 with a 12x25 X 3.75 APC prop (turns about 13000), 3004/tower equivalent servos on everything except the rudder, high torque ts-65 tower servo on that. (all with large replacement futaba control arms) The battery pack is stuffed under the fuel tank, and although I haven't confirmed balance yet, it seems to be a little heavy in back yet but perfectly flyable. I did also replace the somewhat heavy tail wheel with a lighter foam wheel off the landing gear of a hobbyzone firebird.

Although I was battling 15 mph winds, it flew great! in this wind takeoff and ground rollout on landing were non existent. bring up the rpm's and pull back, it would roll maybe a foot!! this thing is REALLY slow.

Too windy to try much hovering, quite a bit of knife edge coupling, hoping it was a little better there... Also a slight pull to the left on verticals, i think my engine mount might be just a mm or two off to the left side. (running it with the irvine .53 was just a temporary solution until the .72 comes in)

Rolls were pretty bad though, slower than expected and no where close to axial. i have to play with the computer settings on that one, add some differential and more travel I think. Also, it seems to fly better with the ailerons reflexed up slightly from what the manual recommends.

Dylwad 07-20-2003 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just in case anyone was interested.....

If you want detail shots met me know..

Dylan

TOMAPOWA 07-20-2003 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Dylwad
Just in case anyone was interested.....

If you want detail shots met me know..

Dylan

Wow! Now I know why the Monokote on the wings rattle like heck when I gun my OS-70 4-stroke. I actually had to do micro surgery on my wing when I received it. The top right rib (from center) was crushed a bit and I had to open the Monokote on the bottom (2 inch square hole) to patch the rib. Boy is this wing built flimsy. I also deadstick landed my UCD46 today and ripped the landing gear off,... similar to what others with the UCD60 had problems with. And I even beefed up this area a bit with tri-stock and epoxy. Now others at the field know why I always make very soft, tail-drag landings with both UCDs... it's not just for show.

What type of detailed shots do you have?

Dylwad 07-20-2003 07:58 PM

i havent taken any detail shots yet, i will take one of the damaged rib that i found lurking under the covering.....also there is a plywood plate glued on the bottom aft fuselage, looks like a tailwheel bracket mount, one of the things i was going to do. all in all though the construction looks real nice, however i am going to be going around it with thin CA on a few spots. which detail shots would you like to see?

Dylan

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rib damage

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more rib

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
landing gear block

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tailwheel ply mount.

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
joint at the aft fuse sides, runs right through the servo cutouts, it does look plenty strong though

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
view inside the wing at the leading edge, the D-tube sheeting is one piece the entire span

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i hope nobody minds all the pictures.... inside the fuse

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more fuse

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the firewall

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more of the wing center section, it has a plywood doubler in front of the shear web at the center section, also the 5/16 dowell for the wing hold down is in one heck of a block of solid balsa.

want more pics just ask,

Dylan

Dylwad 07-20-2003 08:22 PM

One more thing, the bare balsa frame weight is 1lb 13 ounces. the monokote weighed 7 ounces

Dylan

figueroa 07-20-2003 08:26 PM

Dylan,Why did you uncover the UCD , was it damaged during shipping or did you crash it....
jef
PS Thanks for the great pictures !!