RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   GP .60 Reactor Bibe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/8808381-gp-60-reactor-bibe.html)

Jason 3-Danhakl 05-29-2009 08:01 AM

GP .60 Reactor Bibe

1 Attachment(s)

Guys,
Startedassembly ofthe newReactor Bibe fromGreat Planes.Theparts fit and covering job is really nice.
Power OS .91 Surpass
Servos Futaba 3050 on theRudder
Hobbico CS-35 Mini's onthe Ailerons and Elevators.

Thekit includes a templete toopen up the servo bays for standard size servos if you want touse them. Of course the airplane will weigh a little more.
Putting the standard case rudder servo in was a breeze. Justmark the templete and cutthe bay carefullywith an X-cato knife. I haveabout 3.5 hours into it at this stage.
Jason </p>

Jason 3-Danhakl 05-29-2009 08:06 AM

RE: GP .60 Reactor Bibe

1 Attachment(s)
More pictures of the engine install. The battery hatch for running electric power sure makes it easy to work on when using a glow engine.
Tank slides right in and you can get to it simply by pulling that battery hatch.Manual has a MonoKote templete to cut out a hatch seal once the tank is installed. Just keeps the grime out of the fuse.

zac dady 05-30-2009 04:05 PM

Looking good your a lucky man to already have this plane i just saw it last week on the great planes web site.  Can't wait till you give us a flying report.

fanoffive0 05-30-2009 11:19 PM

Please keep them coming. I have ordered one also. I am thinking Saito 100.</p>

zac dady 05-31-2009 01:29 AM

already ordered but i'm going electric satio 100 should do great .  But the os 110a is a an animal in my topflite mustang</p>

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-01-2009 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I made some more progress. Here are some shots of the wings and tail section. I completed more of the project after these pictures were taken. The tail servos are installed and linkage is complete. I will get more pictures tonight. This is going really smooth. The wheel pants are very narrow so you have to take your time aligning the wheel in the center of the pant. No big deal just make sure you plan on a little extra massaging when installing the pants.
More updates soon.
Jason

pliebo 06-04-2009 09:02 PM

where did you order from?

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-05-2009 11:03 AM

The local hooby shops should have these very soon.  

I have not worked on it this week. Getting ready to fly at the XFC. After that is over I will get this bird up in the air.
 Thanks,
  Jason

maukaonyx 06-05-2009 11:18 AM

Wow, you are the first kid on the block to have this new plane!!!  I just noticed it in the last hour in another thread, then went to Tower to see more about it, then to the GP site.  Looks very COOL and rakish.  Looks like it flies real light.  I was hoping it was larger though, since my older eyes need planes bigger planes, lol.  This size is really nice for taking to the field assembled though!  Keep us updated on the build and fly!!   Vids needed!  Jon

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-05-2009 03:15 PM

I will be sure and keep you guys updated on the progress. I hope to finish it up next week. Very busy time right now so I'm not sure about getting it complete.

Cody-RCU 06-06-2009 10:54 AM

Can't wait for a flight report and video, Jason.  Great to see someone who knows what he's doing doing the build, rather than some old guy who puts a SuperTigre 61 in it and says "loops are as tight as you want them."

Looks awesome, I want one.

malcolmm 06-07-2009 10:26 PM

I was planning on ordering one of these, so Iread reviewed the manual at Tower Hobbies.

I'm notvery impressed with the design of this model after reviewing the manual - it seems like something that was designed years ago. Having to solder the connectors for the control rods, why? I'm no fan of soldering, I don't mind doing it where necessary, but it certainly isn't necessary here. Why isn't there an alignment jig to make sure you have the wing incidences setup correctly? Plus lots of little pieces to glue when installing the wing.

Does a biplane this size really need 4 aileron servos - is there that much play between wings if you use connectors? I was hoping to build a light weight electric version of this plane, use a controller with a switching BEC that would eliminate the need for a receiver pack. But with a total of 7 servos I don't think I want to risk this, the Eflight Pro 60A only supports 6 digital servos.

Compared to the small Reactor Bipe, this one seems like a big step backwards. For $300, I expected more. I was all set to order one, now I'm not so sure.

I'm also disappointed that there isn't a designed for electric version of this plane. If it is designed like the Reactor .46 monoplane glow/electric, it will be much heavier than necessary for electric.

The last two Reactors have been a bit of a disappointment to me, I was also interested in the 160 size until Iread the manualand decided I didn't like the design.

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-08-2009 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Cody-RCU

Can't wait for a flight report and video, Jason. Great to see someone who knows what he's doing doing the build, rather than some old guy who puts a SuperTigre 61 in it and says "loops are as tight as you want them."

Looks awesome, I want one.

Cody,
I will be sure and keep posting the progress. Planning on working on it tonight some. Getting really close so I might have it ready before the XFC.
The wings are really easy to mount to the fuse. That is a where most Bibe's are a PINTA.This only has the fiberglassone piece cabane and the solid interplanes struts just bolt onto tabs in thewing. ps. I will make sure it does akiller loop just for you!
Malcolmm,
This model is designed to accept electric power very easily. Just knockout laser cut air vents and installthe battery tray where the fuel tank is on mine.
The ailerons arepretty big so I wouldnot want to use just one per side. The linkage would not be that hard but youwould have to usea very strong servo. Still think flutter potential is to high.
You are claiming you like electric set ups but your scared tosolder? How can that be?This model uses what I would consider typical linkages for a 60 size model.
Jason

gr8taz nitro 06-08-2009 08:38 PM

Hey Jason,
Got any idea of weight yet? I've got an extra 300sp setup on electric and I'm not real happy with it so I'm lookin for another airframe to put everything in.

Roy

fanoffive0 06-08-2009 10:32 PM

Zac,
What electrical setup are you going to use?

nmking09 06-09-2009 02:05 PM

Dan-hal-lakil-li !!!

That is one seriously old engine, I should know, I have the .70 surpass 1.  What happened to the little reactor bipe you were smashing around?  Good luck at the XFC, enjoy your riotactor bipe .61.
-Nate

malcolmm 06-09-2009 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jason 3-Danhakl

You are claiming you like electric set ups but your scared tosolder? How can that be?This model uses what I would consider typical linkages for a 60 size model.
Jason
Nope, I'm not afraid to solder, I just don't enjoy it, particularily when there are alternatives. I haven't soldered control rods for yearsdespite buildinglots of similar and larger planes.

Iam still consideringthis plane, I'm just disappointed that, to me, it isn't as attractive for electric setups as the smaller one.

Malcolm

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-09-2009 03:45 PM

Nate,
Still have the little Reactor Bibe. It is showing some wear but sure is flying well. The U-Can Do is dead! Hence the new larger bibe.
Thanks for the encouragment on the XFC. Looking good so far. We shall see Sunday afternoon how it went.
Later Jason
BTW I put a Xoar 26x12 on my DA100.You should try one if your still running the 27x10. Night and day improvement.

zac dady 06-10-2009 05:03 PM

I ordered the recommended set up from great planes except for the castle creations 60 amp speed controller.  I also have an axi motor that should also work well. I've been having really good luck with the rimfire motors. Tower also mine should be on the way this week. 

nmking09 06-15-2009 10:08 PM

Jason,
Sent you a PM but I guess you were too busey getting top ten at the XFC to respond!!!  Congrats man....  Great Job!!! </p>

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-16-2009 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: nmking09

Jason,
Sent you a PM but I guess you were too busey getting top ten at the XFC to respond!!! Congrats man.... Great Job!!!</p>
Thank you Nate for the congrats. Flew better than any other XFC but so did everyone else! It was a great time and I'm ready to get this new toy ready.
One problem is I put a DA170 in the Yak and it is calling!
Flew the Giant Reactor in the night fly. That turned out much better than expected.
JD

gr8taz nitro 06-16-2009 12:43 PM

Jason,
Congrats on the finish at XFC. I talked to Kevin the other day and he said you weren't gonna make it down here for the funfly. I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions of this plane. Do you think 2 hi torque servo's would be suffecient for the ailerons for the average sport flyer? I.E. me?

Once again congrats!

Roy

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-22-2009 10:36 AM

Well I have it ready to go and hope to test hop her tonight. 
    Some specs:
       OS .91 Surpass 
       Tru Turn Anodized Spinner
       APC 15x6
       Ailerons and Elevator Hobbico CS-35 servos x6
       Rudder s3050 Futaba
       Throttle s 3151 Futaba
       RX R617FS  FASST
       Battery FlightPower 2100 RX 2s Lipo
       Regulator 5 Amp FlightTech

Used all the hardware but the nylon clevis' and 2-56 aileron pushrods.  Used Great Planes 4-40 Metal clevis' and pushrods instead. 
  AUW 7 pounds 5 oz.  with the listed equipment. 
      I don't have pictures right now but will get some later tonight. 

Roy sorry I did not make it down this weekend. I went to the HuckFest in Rockford, IL instead.  
 Using just 2 servos on the ailerons is not a good idea.  To much flex and torsion load. When you see how large the ailerons really are you won't have any doubt that 4 servos are needed. 
    Jason

Cody-RCU 06-24-2009 11:13 AM

Any flights yet?

Jason 3-Danhakl 06-30-2009 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Cody-RCU

Any flights yet?
I have 10 flights on the Reactor bibe now. Impressions: If you like rolling this bird is perfect. Aileron authority is stupid and it really flies the hard core 3d well. Also straight lines well once you get use to the rudder. It is very effective and takes very little rudder input to do a nice point roll. Very fun airplane and does not have any bad traits. Took some mixing out for roll coupling. 9% to the left and 10% to the right. Rud to Elevator is not needed. Shot a video of me wringing on it this morning. I will post the video link once I get it posted on You Tube.
FYI: You don't need very much aileron throw at all. The roll rate is unreal.
Jason

Cody-RCU 06-30-2009 01:28 PM

Awesome, can't wait for a video. I like fast roll rates.

fanoffive0 06-30-2009 08:51 PM

It looks great. Can't wait for the video. I also have one that is almost done. What exponential setting are you using?

Thanks...

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-01-2009 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: fanoffive0

It looks great. Can't wait for the video. I also have one that is almost done. What exponential setting are you using?

Thanks...
Ailerons I don't run dual rates they are just on high all the time with 60% Expo. Elevator L 30% H 45%. Rudder L 45% H 60%

One thing that takes a bit to get use to is landing. It is very easy but happens much quicker than you might expect. The airframe bleeds off speed really quick so you can come in hauling and with just a little slip it sits right down. Also the ground handling is awesome. Rough grass with the wheel pants on is no problem at all. The .91 pulls it very good. I test flew on a 97 degree 78% humidity day and it was decent. Yesterday was 70 Degrees and yes there was a notable power increase. If you live where it gets really hot and high density altitude is a problem more ponys will be needed. The new OS 1.10 four stroke seems like a great fit.
Has anyone tried one of those engines?
Jason

fanoffive0 07-01-2009 01:58 PM

I put a Saito 100 in mine. I should be done with it in a week or so.

TruBlu02 07-01-2009 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Jason 3-Danhakl
......One thing that takes a bit to get use to is landing. It is very easy but happens much quicker than you might expect. The airframe bleeds off speed really quick so you can come in hauling and with just a little slip it sits right down......

Plane looks great! I found this part of your post to be interesting. I have the Reactor .46 with Saito .82 power and it does the same exact thing. I love starting an approach to high and fast, then pulling power and adding some up elevator to maintain some wing in the wind. It will make one of the prettiest steep approaches of any plane I have flown. Normal appraoches are best flown with a couple clicks up on the throttle. Mine will almost land itself! It is cool to see the good traits of the Reactor translate so well to different airframes!

Cody-RCU 07-03-2009 09:14 AM

3 words:

Vid

Ee

Oh

:D

150flyer 07-05-2009 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Built mine last week and have about eight flights so far. I agree the roll rate it super-charged (about four rolls per second on high rate). There is a huge range for the recommended CG. Right now, I am in the middle of the range and the plane handles much better than my original full forward range. I will continue to shift the CG aft until I no longer care for the flight characteristics.

The engine is an OS .75 AX. It has great vertical and pulls out of a hoover easily. I still have a few more flights before I lean the engine for full power but for now I'm extremely happy with this engine for this plane.

The other Reactor in the picture with two is a friends who mounted a Zenoa G20 with a 17 inch prop. It flys a little heavier but has impressive speed and vertical climb-out.

fanoffive0 07-05-2009 08:20 PM

Have many people at the field asked "What Type of Plane Is That"?

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-07-2009 02:09 PM

Well I did a flying video for Great Planes and they have it posted now at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7Fb...e=channel_page

Note the Prop listed is incorrect. It is an APC 15x6 not a 15x16! Man that would haul if the engine didn't over heat taxing out! Anyway this is my personal model that was featured in this thread. I am really enjoying the model and hope this info helps everyone see some of the models potential. Please let me know your thoughts. That old .91 is pulling strong! One other thing to note is the wind was gusting to 15 during the video shoot.
Jason

WMB 07-07-2009 10:11 PM

I'M NOT WORTHY!!
NICE flying! Thanks for the video.

150flyer 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

Jason, how far back is your CG in that video? Are you at the full recommended aft?

150flyer

wind junkie 07-07-2009 10:54 PM

Very nice flying Jason. Something about that bird reminds me of the old Top Flite Hot Kanary I have hanging in the rafters.

I've got way too many projects this summer, but now you have me wondering if those 48" wings will fit assembled in my car!

Great job. [sm=thumbup.gif]

gr8taz nitro 07-07-2009 11:27 PM

Nice flight Jason. I'm sure gonna miss seeing you fly the u-can-do with the heli motor on it though. It sure doesn' look like it suffers in the vertical.:)
I'm gonna have to wait awhile to try one though. I picked up a 500 size helicopter and blew my rat-hole fund.[&o]

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-08-2009 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

Jason, how far back is your CG in that video? Are you at the full recommended aft?

150flyer
Hate to say this but I have no idea where the CG is. I never measured it or moved the CG from the test flight. The 2100 2s rx pack is mounted right under the canopy on the factory battery tray. When flying along at 1/2 power inverted it requires slight stick pressure to stay level. The CG range on the smaller electric version is fairly wide so I'm sure it is on this one also.
Jason

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-08-2009 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

Very nice flying Jason. Something about that bird reminds me of the old Top Flite Hot Kanary I have hanging in the rafters.

I've got way too many projects this summer, but now you have me wondering if those 48'' wings will fit assembled in my car!

Great job. [sm=thumbup.gif]
You know it has been a really long time since I've seen a Hot Kanary bibe. I guess there are some aspects that make this look like one. I can tell you it flies a tad better than the Kanary! You know with some mods the Kanary would be up to todays standard.

I am able to put the Reactor Bibe in the cab of a Quad cab F-150 assembled. Once the airplane is in a standard size field box and TX case has plenty of room with it. The fuse length is where you might have trouble with the airplane assembled.