Community
Search
Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

EDGE 540 Wing Spar

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 04:52 PM
DougC1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDGE 540 Wing Spar

Well, I'm starting the assembly of my FIRST 3D plane, and came to a screetching halt regarding the carbon wing spar. The cut-out in the wing for the spar is on an arc, and the spar is quite straight. The difference between the spar and the wing slot is nearly 3" as measured from the end of each.

I can deflect the spar 3", and probably could put it in the slot (once the bottom skins are on), and can even see that the bend will add considerable stiffness to the wing................but it sure seems like alot of load on the foam.

Am I doing something wrong here; or possibly have a incorrect part. I think it's ok, but just want to check.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 09-15-2005, 05:31 PM
DougC1

Default RE: EDGE 540 Wing Spar

Sometimes ya just have to take the bull by the horns......once the bottom skins are on, the wing is PLENTY strong enough to hold the spar. I'm moving forward smoothly

Doug
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, its curved for a reason, glue on the bottom sheet, then the spar in place, then the top.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:08 PM
DougC1

Alls well that ends well. Went together with no problems once I got started , everything is nice and straight. Now just have to hope that the rain stops before the snow begins, to get the first flight in.

AXI 2212/34
11 X 4.7
1500 Kokam 3S, 8C
E-Flight S-75 Servo
Berg MicroStamp
AUW 15.3oz (batteries 4.1 oz)

Nice plane.

Thanks.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30800.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	337688  
Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
JohnVH

Nice Doug!! Let us know what you think! Prepare to have a big smile on your face.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:25 AM
DougC1

Well, I know it's been a while, but sometimes life gets in the way...........

After several flights with the AXI noted above, purchased a Whatts-Up meter, and deduced tha the Kokam batteries were not up to the task (voltage drop under load). So I changed both the motor and batteries on the Edge, to a E-Flite Park 480, and an APC 11X5.5, and some new batteries were ordered (TrueRC 1500 3S, capable of 15amp discharge/20amp burst). Testing with the Whatt meter confirmed that these batteries were up to the task. This power set up put the plane a bit over the recommended weight, at 17 oz.

Being new to this (3D), the first few flights had me confused. But then it clicked....

What a fun plane!

At my age and skill level, the larger size really helps in visiblity. About 200Watts allows me to point the nose up, hit the throttle, and get out of Dodge. Flew in a 5mph breeze yesterday, and into the wind, was able to hoover for a good 10 seconds. Also, compared with other foamies I've seen, this one (with the airfoil) tends to "settle/sink" at reduced throttle settings, compared with others that either go nose down, or require a throttle up/flair attitude. Really helps on sticking a landing without landind gear in the grass.

I really am enjoying it. Lots of fun.

I think when the CA overwhelms this plane, a Super might be in order, if the current power system would be suitable.

Doug
Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 PM
JohnVH

Awesome!