RCU Forums - View Single Post - Adding weight
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM
SamD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adding weight

The issue of added weight vs. overall weight isn't something that's lost on me; that's self evident- to me, anyway- it's a ratio, after all. That CG trumps wing loading isn't difficult to understand or accept either. What is difficult to accept is adding weight to an airframe if there are other ways to accomodate the CG requirements. Adding dead weight isn't something I'd choose to do if simply moving some existing components was a viable option to meet the CG requirements.

It's interesting to note people's reaction to adding weight to an airframe and the common feeling that "it isn't really that much weight". This approach is deceptive, seductive and, without a doubt, an easy trap to fall into. Pretty soon, 6 oz. turns into 10 oz, then it turns into 16 oz. and so on. Pretty soon, you have an airframe that's over its design weight, the wing loading creeps up and it doesn't perform in the fashion you might expect it to. I can feel the flames right now on my back regarding this issue of weight. There are a few people 'round these parts that seem to like heavy planes and feel they fly better. That's fine and I'm not going to argue about it- ya' gotta' run what you feel good about.

That said, it would be tough to find a commercial aircraft manufacturer that would like to add weight to their airframe design(s) unless it was absolutely necessary. Further, it's a rare Pattern/IMAC/TOC person you find loading bricks into their airplanes and commenting that "a little extra weight won't hurt".

Still, if strapping a brick on to the nose is the only way to get the CG where it needs to be, get to strappin'!