RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing Wing Center
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing Wing Center

I like to use 30 min epoxy, strong and has work time. But.. first I put two parellel strips of 2" masking tape, one one either side of the glass. I cut the tape to the right size then lay it between the tape after I pre wet the wood between the tape lines with the epoxy. Then I wet it down from the surface. Now.. to get good wetting, I run my heat gun over the epoxy, keep back, don't let it get too hot, just bring it up to about 140 degrees or so. The epoxy thins out like water, but work quickly becuase the heat excellerates the cure time. I use a old credit card to wipe off any extra. As soon as the epoxy starts to jell, pull of the masking tape for a nice clean line. If the glass joint will be exposed, I do one of two things. If I am going to glass the entire plane as part of the finishing, I use light wieght bondo to taper and fill the heavy center glass. If I am using a film covering, I use wood colored light wieght balsa filler. The Bondo is hard to sand but is stronger and dent resistant.. but it leave a distinct red color and, covering tends to bubble over it. Balsa filler is very soft but sands easily and hides well under covering.

Best regards,
Randy