RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old Tamiya Monster Truck worth Saving?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:14 PM
rpstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Tamiya Monster Truck worth Saving?

I have a couple of questions from an RC newbie (me).

First, what does "2-channel R/C system with FET" mean exactly in the specifications of a radio for car/truck kits? I don't understand the FET part?

I'm wondering because I have an old Tamiya (25 yrs old or so) monster truck I just recently got working again. Problem is, second time running it the wires melted on it and I can't immediately see why. It has an old mechanical speed control and a Mabuchi 480rs motor on it (I think this is a 540 motor since anther place it says Mabuchi 540 on it). I powered it with a NiMH 8.4 volt 3300 maH pack which I was led to believe is what it needed (ie: 8.4v) but based on the "melting" I'm guessing the pack was too powerfull? I don't see anywhere that a short would have occured.

Basically, I'm wondering if its really worth trying to salvage this truck or just use its parts on another kit? The body is hard plastic which means its easier to damage. The front steering is very poor and the little ball cups keep popping off the steering arms (don't know the technical terms here) so it seems like the front-end need redesigned anyways. To give you an idea of how old this truck is it says "Datsun" on the tailgate.

The radio is a Futaba FP-T2L with FP-R2GS receiver. Could this be easily used with another kit or would it not fit the bill based on the "FET" part mentioned above?

Any further information or advice anyone could give me would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- RP